Fantastic Menagarie

firecatpickles

I can't wait to get mine! I, too, got an excellent reading from KoW yesterday. Buh-buh is right, it is a lively deck. <wringing hands, popping knuckels>

K:spade:K

Baroli

Baroli52 said:
PS KoW, the Magician looks to me like an actor, weaving his spell of illusion on the audience. Another thought that came to mind was that of an orator or a lawyer, pleading his case to the court. Hmmm, definitely ordering this deck when I get affected by a picture. Thanks!!

I can't get the thought of a lawyer making his closing remarks to the jury, pleading with the court, weaving his magic spell over them all. Like monkey trials or kangaroo courts. Nothing is what it seems. Now for me to get all that from a picture of a card, MAN!!! I can't wait to get this deck.

Baroli

firecatpickles

Baroli52 said:
Now for me to get all that from a picture of a card, MAN!!!
I get funny feelings and these kinds of thoughts each time I look at one of these cards. That's why I had to have it...

K:spade:K

Baroli

I understand KK, completely. I felt the same with ToP as well. Oddly enough by same designer. I don't feel much from alot of my decks ( I like to rotate them around), but ToP right now is my absolute fav. I think FM will takeover the #1 spot for me. I like the feel of them and the sound of them when I shuffle.

Baroli

Sophie

Baroli52 said:
Now for me to get all that from a picture of a card, MAN!!!
That's the magic of Grandville. That's why he become so hugely popular in his time - and a bestselling illustrator and caricaturist throughout the 19th century well beyond his native France. Because his pictures talked - in all languages, of all the varieties of human life and foibles.

I'm glad you like it. It was such a joy to work on that project with Karen and Alex :)

fall_guy

It's just occurred to me that in Ancient Egypt the god Thoth was sometimes associated with a baboon!

Not quite an ape, but it's a good choice of image for this card.

Baroli

Fantastical Menagerie, OH NO!!!

I arrive home from work to see a big package in front of my door. Could it be, I think as I get out of my car. I look down at the label that says to me 'yes, it is.' My Fantastical Menagerie deck and book is here!!!! Oh joy, I quickly pick up the box and hug it, realizing people who on their balconies are watching, but I don't care. I hold the box close to me as I pick up the rest of the mail as I unlock the door to my home.

I can hardly contain myself. I am so happy that this has arrived. Eagerly and carefully I open the US Postal service box, and dig through the packing and there it is, wrapped in bubble wrap my set. I take the wrap off, and open up the set, and gently lift out this deck. I caress it as if it were a new love, and nervously I take the deck out of their box and go through the cards, looking at the illustrations; amazed at how quickly they are talking to me, but WAIT!!!! OH NO!!!! I have gotten to the suit of swords and there are two 3 of sword cards. I gulp and continue on to find no 5 of swords card. Continuing on OH NO AGAIN!!!! 2 10 of coins. I sit back on my couch totally saddened. I wanted so much to use these cards. I look in the book in hopes of perhaps finding maybe a reason for this, but it gives none. Woe is me!! I must send this back. I am so distressed. I will have to go and have a banana split with whipped cream to ease my sadness. :(

The Moral of the Story: Anytime you get a brandy new hot of the press deck of anything, make sure you check to see if all the cards are there.

A sad Baroli

PS. I also had the forethought to order another set in the hopes of giving it as a gift, but the gift is now MINE MWHHAHAHAHA!!!! }) And oh for those who say throw away the books? Do not throw this one away. It is beautifully written and the stories that accompany the major arcana are sheer brilliance. Bravo Helvetica!!:thumbsup:

baba-prague

Ah! No! Don't send it back, send me your address and I'll send the cards. We keep spares

We have to change packagers I think. They are really sweet people, but it's the second time we've found cards mis-compiled (thought we'd got it sorted as Alex spent a day with them showing them how to check etc). It will always happen to some extent, but it's becoming worrying. With Fairytale we only had problems on the first batch, and this may be the same - in fact so far the percentage with any missing cards has been very low, but still...

Send me your address! I'll get them in the post :)

Oh and yes - DO NOT THROW OUT THE BOOK - the thought!!! Seriously, it takes time to read it all - it isn't a "slight" book - but it will enrich the pleasure and appreciation of the cards a great deal. A book to savour slowly.

Sophie

Oh, poor sad Baroli! I'm glad replacement cards are on their way - you can always trust baba-prague for great customer service :)

And thank you for the compliments :)

But the missing cards and the doubles...interesting, no?

Two Tens of Coins: I predict lots of home comforts and lots of magic at the gate ;)

Two 3 of Swords and no 5 of Swords - just as well you'll have a double dose of home comforts, because you'll also have a double dose of grievances, though they won't let you feel defeated or disadvantaged and you will rise above them. Or maybe you'll find a new love and give someone else a dose of pain...

baba-prague

Helvetica said:
Oh, poor sad Baroli! I'm glad replacement cards are on their way - you can always trust baba-prague for great customer service :)
We work hard at it. But I just wish the packaging company would take their own customer service a little more seriously! We like them - the woman in charge is a good person - but they need to be more thorough. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, I suppose there are bound to be some mistakes, but...

The exact card substitutes were interesting though, I wonder if it is significant?