Fantasical Creatures - I Got It!!

faunabay

It's really, really beautiful!! I'm not 100% sure but I think I'll actually beable to read with this deck. There are a few cards that don't make sense to me, but overall I like it. I wasn't sure I would because of my past experience with most of Hunt and Conway's previous decks - other than the Celtic Dragon. :)

This deck does deviate from some of the regular known Rider Waite Smith meanings, so that gets a bit confusing. I'm hoping as I get to know it better some of the confusing aspects might work themselves out for me, because I absolutely love most of the cards. They are soooo beautiful and most of them can be read intuitively. There are just those few cards that I look at and say "huh?" One of them is the 4 of Cups????? I just don't get it. Even after reading the small story about it. I still don't really get it.

I think I would be listing 3/4th of the deck if I listed the ones I did like though. I'm very pleasantly surprised at my first impression!!!

faunabay

Oh!! And the paper spread sheet has some interesting spreads listed too! I actually want to try the alternative celtic cross they have laid out.

I usually just toss these when they come in other decks because they just have the same old, same old celtic cross. But this one might be the one I keep. :)

.traveller.

What is the cardstock and the lamination like? Are the borders really intrusive? I had this on pre-order but then cancelled it once I saw the borders.

HearthCricket

I have this deck on order, at TG, now, and it is on its way. There aren't a whole lot of decks I want, right now, so I am getting very excited by this one. I, too, would love to hear your review (or anyone else that has it) on cardstock, lamination, the book, how much colour is in it, etc. Are the colours as rich looking as they are on the website? Or are they more washed out?

I love the borders, but since they are quite thick looking and a bit intrusive, I wish the cards were larger. Imagine if they were the size of the Druidcraft or a tad smaller! Still, I can't wait to get my hands on this deck!

WolfSpirit

I love the borders - although it is a pity they take up so much of the card.

I must admit I am a real fan of Lisa Hunts work, I want all her decks even if I cannot read with them. So I am looking forward to this one anyway !
I ordered it from TarotGarden but I asked Jeannette to hold it as there will be noone here during daytime the coming weeks ~ but it is great to have something to look forward to :D

Annabelle

I have my copy already.

The cardstock is good - sturdy and flexible. The card finish is shiny (like with most new USG decks) but not sticky and not too smelly. The LWB is very thick - more like a mini booklet than a simple pamphlet.

I really wish the cards were larger and that the printing was in higher resolution or sharper. The art is really beautiful, but I find it hard to distinguish the details in some cards. I hate to say it, but some of the card images I've seen on the internet looked better and brighter than the real cards do.

I don't love the Fantastical Creatures tarot, but I like it quite well. I think it would be "readable" for me. But in all honestly, I prefer the Animals Divine to this deck.

shadowdancer

fingers crossed this will arrive this week. The last deck I really liked of Lisa's was the Celtic Dragon which is going back quite a while now. I did trade away the Shapeshifter, but this one does look quite nice. Not sure how much of a working deck it will be, but I do like the artwork so even for that reason I think it could be a worthwhile collection deck.

Davina

faunabay

shadowdancer, I feel the same way you do. I like the Celtic Dragon but not any of the others from Lisa Hunt. I've tried all the other ones and traded them away.

Unlike Annabelle I didn't like the Animals Divine. From the first time I flipped through it I knew it wasn't for me - and I was really excited to get it from the scans I saw. (shrug) So when I saw the scans of this one I knew the real test would be when I held it in my own little ol' hands. :) And I have to say I'm impressed. Now I'm not raving about it - I do have some reservations - but overall I like what I see so far.

The cardstock is pretty shiny. IMO I would have liked a bit less lamination. But it's not that big of a deal to me. Cardstock isn't a big determining factor for me one way or the other most times.

But like Annabelle says the colors are a bit more washed out than the scans I saw on the computer before hand. But it doesn't bother me too much. It seems to work. And the borders are fine with me too. They're not too big and the colors of the border don't fight with the artwork like some other decks I've seen. The borders I can't stand are the stark white ones where all you can see are the borders. :)

So the test for me will be how it works for me in the long run. I'm not sold on it yet, but there are enough things I like that I'm going to give it a chance.

huredriel

Glad I saw this thread, had it on pre-order and am now waiting for it :):):)

6 Haunted Days

Yes, I had mine on pre-order as well, as I never recieved any emails nor any emails in response to ones I sent asking if I could send payment etc. So today I just went ahead and ordered it....should get it within the week!

I've been so excited about this deck, and like others, not sure I can read with it, but I just love the art! So it was a must have :)

Miss 6