Book advice for this deck - Vargo Gothic

JeNNi

heck yeah! Now if my deck would only get here!!! >:)

Cerulean

Thank, you Alissa!

The news of the artbook sounds wonderful.

I'll check their website and Amazon.com

By the way, when I went to the Monolithic Graphics site, they listed "Gothic Tarot forum" and I found that it links back to threads hat our Wolfy James posted in a study forum on the Gothic Tarot on Aeclectic...I wonder if Wolfy James or another Aeclectic fan should write the book!

Regards

Cerulean

annik

Would be great! But I wonder about the copyrights... Do we have to get the permission of the author to have a book made and based on his deck?

Alissa

I am not a copyright lawyer, however, to use any illustration for the intent of publication without the originator's express consent is *definitely* a copyright infringement.

Permission for the use of illustrations would have to be given by the painter himself (Vargo) in order to appear in a book of any sort. I don't recommend violating others' copyrights ever ever (of course I don't... it's artistic embezzlement, and it sucks).

"Books" written by an individual *for individual use* (i.e. a collection of writings on the Gothic deck), but not containing illustrations would not violate copyright. In other words, if someone felt inspired to write a book about their use of the Gothic deck, that would not be a copyright infringement.

There would definitely be some gray area if someone wrote a book about using the Gothic, and then found a publisher (i.e. they stand to make an income) for the piece. I really don't know if that's a copyright infringement or not. Better safe than sorry, is my advice. Ask permission, always, when it comes to borrowing artistic materials (songs, pictures, text, etc).

annik

Thanks for the clarification.! I wasn't sure about all the fine print!

JeNNi

woohoo I got my deck today!!! Still no book but the one that comes in it will be alright for the meantime. The detail from what ive seen is just awesome. Gorgeous cards!