Trimming decks. Has anyone given it up?

Grizabella

I know trimming decks is a popular thing to do. I've done it myself. But is there anyone else like me who has given up doing it? I haven't liked my results so I just decided to stop trimming and either leave a deck unbought if I don't like its size or else figure out how to shuffle and read a big deck that I've already bought without taking scissors to it.

I admire those who can trim decks and come out with beautiful, usable results like the photos of three decks shadowdancer sent me photos of today. I wish I could do it myself, but since I'm not able to, I just give up. :p

Is anyone else a "recovering" trimmer like me?

Little Baron

I pretty much was. Until today. But I bought another copy of the deck in question, just incase I didn't like the results.

But this time, unlike previous, I didn't trim because I 'had' to - because I couldn't live with the deck as it was - it was just a curiosity to see how it might look. And I think I can deal with it either way, even though it is nice to work with the image alone. It's an alternative, really.

In terms of other decks, I am actually happier with my bordered Thoth than my trimmed version. I don't hate borders. I just wish they were reasonable. You wouln't buy a tv and then sit twenty metres away to watch it, so it annoys me when images are so small amongst massive borders that you cannot see them - Barbara Walker or Tarot of the Ages - both decks are far to small as it is [with the image inset being far too small, due to an extra large border],to ever benefit from trimming.

LB

Nightbird

I've been reading about people trimming decks and I'm curious about it. does anyone have pictures of a deck they've trimmed? do you just cut off borders so it looks nicer or make the cards smaller so they are easier to handle?

Deana

I have completely given up trimming decks.

1. They don't shuffle right for me afterwards. They just started flying everywhere faster than my hands can keep up.

2. Even with a corner cutter, and even when I am trying very hard to make sure I'm getting the corners even, the corners are never completely even. And my Venus in Virgo just can't deal with those corners being ever-so-slightly uneven.

3. I have never liked a deck after spending hours trimming it's borders. I can't explain why. I trim the borders and then don't feel like using the deck anymore. Ever.

So I won't be doing it in the future.

sharpchick

I've trimmed my DruidCraft and my Madame Endora. I am halfway through the Witches Tarot (Reed).

I'm pleased with the results on all three, but I can't say I have others I will trim. And decks with wide contrasting color borders get to stay on the store shelf.

redflash

This is something I have been thinking about for quite a while ! I would love to trim my druidcraft. My mom is buying me the tarot of the dead for my birthday, I have only seen pictures of it, never had the deck in my hands, but it looks like it would be better with the borders off. I just daren't do it ! Do the edges start to fray ? It must take ages to do a 78 card deck ?!

Hemera

I was a recovering trimmer untill I saw a picture of Shadowdancers trimmed Arcus Arcanum! Wow! I have never paid much attention to that deck until I saw the trimmed version. So beautiful! Now I´ve added the deck to my wishlist and I will trim it. I will, I WILL!

It does take a while to trim 78 cards but I like the whole process as a way of really getting to know each card. It´s a kind of meditation thing,too.

What worries me most is if a deck goes OOP and you´ve just ruined your valuable copy by trimming it. Also, you can´t really swap trimmed decks, can you?

shadowdancer

I think I should add here, I have only trimmed 6 of my decks and for below reasons:

Arcus Arcanum and Robin Wood. Boy do the colours now bounce out and hit you between the eyes!

Mythic. This is my oldest and first ever deck and was just looking tired. I have not used it for a while, and always thought it was slightly too big. I have trimmed it down and it now has a fresh new lease of life.

Cosmic. I bought this from e-bay and it looked very tired and jaded. I think (perhaps wrongly) it had been in a smokers house as the smell was a little of that type, as well as having a slightly dull tone to the cards. These were trimmed down, and again they seem to bounce with a freshness and new zest for life.

Vargo Gothic. Already explained in previous thread. I have two sets, and it was my personal use deck that was trimmed.

Druidcraft. Same reasons as most others have stated.

Benefits: For certain decks, with no borders now being in the way when laid next to each other they tell a better story. For example if one of the nights is pointing towards or riding towards a character it shows as such. the other person's response also adds depth and meaning to this encroaching crusader. (just an example here - I could go on forever!!)
In short, when put right next to each other a new story appears which adds so much depth to the meaning. This could not have happened if there had been borders or barriers in the way.

I never, ever trim off the title of the card. Therefore, if any of the above decks had the title as part of the outer border, it would not even have a pair of scissors waved over them, let alone trimmed. My Druidcraft still has the grey stone border on one edge of the card where the title appears. It might sound strange, but looks fine to me.

The Robin Wood and the A.A. were the two though which really did leap out at me once they were trimmed. Very beautiful indeed.

So there you have it! My experiences and reasons for trimming.

Davina

sharpchick

shadowdancer said:
My Druidcraft still has the grey stone border on one edge of the card where the title appears. It might sound strange, but looks fine to me.

That's the way I trimmed my DruidCraft also.

Little Baron

Nightbird said:
does anyone have pictures of a deck they've trimmed?

Yep. Here's the Rohrig and the Da Vinci.

LB

Attachments

• ro.jpg
    ro.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 119
  • dav1.jpg
    dav1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 134