Trimming the Llewellyn?

fadestoblackk

I really want to do it.

There are so many things telling me to do it, but they are not really made to be trimmed and I am afraid of ruining the backside pattern. Getting rid of the horrible border would certainly make the pictures pop, but I would miss the titles.
I don't suppose that anyone has done it, but if you have, pictures/expiriences would be wonderful.

Feel free to try to talk me one way or the other. It's sitting on the fence that is the worst.

tabi

No No No!!!

I have trimmed my RWS and love it, it was a bit too large for me to work with. Extremely difficult for me to shuffle too. I am also thinking of trimming the Mythic which have an horrid biege/tan thingish of a border but NOT the Llewellyn!

Not only would you be missing the beautiful script on each card but the framing of the design on the side of each card. I don't think you would mess up the back pattern to badly but I like the white "dragon" that guards the pictures. Also have to say at least the borders, at least match the cards themselves unlike the Mythic.

Sulis

I've thought of trimming mine.

I really dislike those borders and I found trimming the DruidCraft really helped me to bond with that deck.

I say if you like the pictures but don't like the borders, get rid of them.

Sulis

Why not cut yourself a window frame in a piece of dark paper so that you can see whether you'd like the look?
You've already said that you think you might miss the titles, a frame would give you an idea of whether you liked the cards without them or not.

fadestoblackk

Good idea, Sulis, about making a window. I tried to do it with my hands but of course that didn't work and of course I never would have thought to actually come up with that :)

and tabi, if you are thinking about trimming your mythic, I did:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=73456&highlight=trimmed+mythic

Thanks for the quick replies :)
and I will certainly post pictures again if I decide to trim this one!

Rosanne

I would think twice about trimming this particular deck. I am already having delamination problems with several cards- so you might find they will separate at the layers around the edges if you do this. I think for my problem, there might have been some moisture on the deck when packed.
When the deck is stacked and you look on the side you can see the cards that have the problem -they are thicker and rougher at the edges.Consequently when you cut the deck, it cuts naturally at the damaged cards. ~Rosanne

fadestoblackk

Well, I did the sensible thing and
I just asked the deck about it!
Duh. Why didn't it come to me before.
So.
The Three of Swords fell out twice while I was shuffling.
I drew one card and then crossed it with a clarification card.
The first one was the Horned One and the second was the Lovers.
So I am interpreting this as "crazy impulses" and that the deck doesn't really want to be cut. (three of swords--betrayal--the deck is feeling betrayed)

And I am glad, too, because on taking this second look, the cards are very nice and I think I can live with the borders...though I do love the pictures.
And, the Mythic, when I trimmed it is more of a pocket deck now, and while I love that immensley, I think I only need one right now. And the Llewellyn would have become one w/o the borders.

So forgive me in my moment of foolishness :)
And thank you for the quick replies.

And if you want to comment on my interpretation, please do :)

Debra

One knife cuts, two makes scissors, but three are just too much! I think you've made the right decision. You might go at the border with a marking pen, if it displeases you....add your own swirls, darken in the flourishes...the possibilities are endless!