an experiment at gilt edging

Sinduction

Just got back from the store with silver and gold. Now which deck do I dare start with?

I went to Michael's, they had it for 3.99 but I've seen it online for cheaper. I had a gift card so I didn't mind paying more.

Maybe I will start with a regular deck of playing cards first.

Sinduction

Ok, Davina, give us a bit more about the colors.

I used the Grecian Gold and I hate it! It's more orangey-bronzeish. The other two the store had was Gold Leaf and Antique Gold. Have you used either of those, and if so, tell me more about the color.

I also used Silver Leaf, as it was the only silver they had. It is a very light silver. Like a bright white silver. I like it very much.

I used my Happy Bunny playing deck, which has very minimal lamination and had no bleeding. I used the pad of my finger and went slowly.

I'm going to go back and get one or maybe both of the golds because I really don't like the Grecian, at least, not for the decks I had in mind. Like the Gilded, it would just look horrible.

shadowdancer

There are a few shades of gold so hopefully you will find one you like.

so far have only used the Grecian gold so can't say about the other shades :(

With regards silver, I have to confess if I was to use that shade I might try pewter instead.. it might be a bit richer? There are colour charts on the internet if you just type in chart with the product in the search engine - they might help??

glad the actual experiment well, albeit it sounds the shade wasn't right for you

Davina

Sinduction

I looked at the samples online but they are not the same in person. I'm going to get the other two golds tomorrow and try those. I will describe what they look like in person for anyone wanting to know.

I've done the Vargo and the Mantegna. My BG is screaming for the silver edging but I'm hesitant.

Sinduction

Ok, here's an update on the golds.

Gold Leaf is a true gold. Yellow and sparkly and warm.

Antique Gold is a light gold, peach-ish and cool.

I think the Antique would be the gold that would go best with the Silver Leaf.

I like them both a whole lot better than the Grecian. But I only don't like Grecian because it's orangey and that doesn't match the decks I want. Although, if I do the Shakespeare, it is the one I would probably use.

So I hope that helps others with their color selection. :D

I also got a little foam brush, 1" on a handle. This seems to work much better than my finger and the foam doesn't soak up the paste like I thought it would. The brush cost me $.39.

shadowdancer

well, have had another round of gilting, this time with emerald green. It is quite a nice shade. :) :) Just done the Sweet Twighlight and Gilded.

If anyone wants a photo, will take one of the Gilded and post it tomorrow. I think this colour will go best with those decks which have black borders for sure

Davina

echo

Wow! Those look beautiful! I never would have thought to do that, but it really does look amazing.

Myrrha

shadowdancer said:
well, have had another round of gilting, this time with emerald green. It is quite a nice shade. :) :) Just done the Sweet Twighlight and Gilded.

If anyone wants a photo, will take one of the Gilded and post it tomorrow. I think this colour will go best with those decks which have black borders for sure

Davina

I would love to see them! Emerald green gilding sounds lovely.

shadowdancer

gilted Gilded

here is the deck with the green gilting. I like it, but know it would not be a shade for everyone.
Also done the Sweet Twighlight with same shade :)

Davina

Attachments

• Img_6755.jpg
    Img_6755.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 457