an experiment at gilt edging

Manda

Drag up old thread...

I used the Rub n' Buff Antique Gold on my trimmed Druidcraft. Umm, oops, I shoulda done them one at a time, but a little bling never hurt anyone.

I used the Silver Leaf color on my trimmed Deviant Moon. Oooo pretty.

That was about a day ago. How long should this take to dry? It is still slightly tacky on the Deviant Moon, which each card got individual treatment, and only slightly dry on the Druidcraft which got the ol' smear treatment.

shadowdancer

when I used the rub 'n' buff it took about a day to be dry. Decks I did ages ago are still in great shape from the treatment :) It is something to be careful with though - I learned it was better to do cards one at a time. And with the lightest of pressure in order to reduce gilting too much on the back or front of the card.

Glad you are having fun with it though

Davina

cardlady22

opinion?

Which of these would look better with a Silver?

Tarot of a Moon Garden
Tarocchi Di Robot (LS)

strings of life

I did a search on "gild" and "gilding" and can't find any other specific threads, but should have known better to search "gilt" and "edging" too. Thanks for finding this for me cardlady22!

I would live to have dark red/maroon gilt edges, dark red metallic or even gold edges on my Tarot of Vampyres deck. I trimmed it over the weekend (photos here) and think it would look great.

I am going to be brave and tackle this over the weekend, one card at a time. If I can't find a dark red, I am going to go for the Rub n' Buff Antique Gold. Photos to come :).

strings of life

Sinduction said:
Just wanted to update about the Rubb N Buff colors.

The Ruby is actually an orangey rust color and not, in fact, red. Very irritated by this as I had wanted it to match the Vargo's red.

The colors do get a tad bit darker the more you layer it but these are not jeweled tone colors as the name suggests and the online pics portray.
This is very helpful. I would have went for Ruby if they didn't have another red. I want dark blood red.

It looks like I should go for the Antique Gold.

Cassandra022

Does anyone have specific names of stores/website/products? I'd really like to try this too but want to make sure to get the right ones so I don't mess up a deck :0

cardlady22

Cassandra022 said:
Does anyone have specific names of stores/website/products? I'd really like to try this too but want to make sure to get the right ones so I don't mess up a deck :0
I think this was linked before, but I'll add it again:
http://www.amaco.com/shop/product-437-rub-39-n-buff-metallic-finishes.html

Looks like it's carried at Amazon, Michaels (antiquing/leafing aisle)
Look at artists supply stores.

~ * ~ * ~

I tried using a RoseArt Color Sharp Metallic (blue) marker on a White Cats deck. The color came out nice, but I ruined the tip and it comes off on my hands when I shuffle. Put that name brand in the Avoid bin.

strings of life

Cassandra022 said:
I'm going to Michael's on Friday and will let you know what their selection is for the Rub 'n Buff Metallic Finishes.

Cassandra022

mmm, i think im going to try to order direct off that site if I can. Thanks so much for this, I have a bunch of trimmed decks I'd love to try this with...

Cassandra022

aurarcana said:
I'm going to Michael's on Friday and will let you know what their selection is for the Rub 'n Buff Metallic Finishes.

mmm, mayhaps that be a better idea than ordering online, not sure if faster, but i know theres one nearish to my house as well...

edit: hum, theres also an art store not too far from work (where I am now) that I could go to if I dont mind taking the subway up and trudging around in the crappy weather....but I so want to try this asap....decisions decisions >.>