Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

Nikita_

Unless I'm misreading your post (which is quite possible), this seems to be suggesting that you believe the ultimate outcome of the situation was not changed by your decision. Whether you stayed or left, you eventually ended up in the same spot?

Don't know if that's what farzon meant, but that's exactly how it works, actually..

Farzon

Don't know if that's what farzon meant, but that's exactly how it works, actually..
That's what I meant. But Tarot, at least for me, doesn't always work that way.

And my other point is, it may not even be a help in preparing for the future - because of the prediction was correct, you will only know after it happened.

Even in similar situations, where I was pretty sure to know what the reading did show, there was always a surprising factor left.

RunningWild

And my other point is, it may not even be a help in preparing for the future - because of the prediction was correct, you will only know after it happened.

That would be true for any prediction. You won't be able to know for certain that it was correct until the event has occurred. But you can still prepare for it, or change the way the outcome happens, or even just change a person's perspective on it, especially if the outcome seems particularly dire.

Even in similar situations, where I was pretty sure to know what the reading did show, there was always a surprising factor left.

I don't know anyone who does predictive tarot readings who will, or can, give every minute detail. We can only go by what the cards trigger for us, for those of us who claim no psychic/clairvoyance ability. We are limited by the images in the cards.

ThusSpokeZarathustra

No, tarot cannot foretell the future. The way I see it, the tarot cards are images that are only really useful for self-exploration. No stack of paper is going to be able to accurately predict an event, and if it does, it's because the querent succumbed to confirmation bias or an attributional error, not because the cards actually knew something.

I apologize if I sound a little too harsh in my opinion, but this particular belief regarding the tarot is one I feel strongly, and I find that putting unreasonable stock into tarot is limiting to the individuals who do so.

Jeff0253

FWIW, and that might not be much given my limited experience, my working hypothesis on this--not having read every single post in this Byzantine thread--is that Tarot does release a partial but systematic grammar of the unconscious. So insofar as the unconscious is able to "predict" the future, Tarot can too. Maybe "predict" and "foretell" aren't quite the right words though; I think "prefigure," or "anticipate," or "presage" might work better. It's more like a typology than a prediction. Just my .02.