Learning From the Books

Trogon

Ooops! I forgot a book. I also have "The Art of the Tarot". It's a smallish book (about 3"X3" and about 1" thick). But it briefly discusses the history of the Tarot and shows the artwork from many decks both very old and new.

Woof said:
A Complete Guide to The Tarot - Eden Gray - Too pat and basic

I do have to agree with Woof about this book, the meanings given to the cards are pretty basic. I feel that she may have been trying to make them somewhat simplistic. But then again, I found the same thing with "The Mystic Tarot" by Rosemary Ellen Guiley. However, there is a lot of very good information in the backs of both of these books - for instance, discussions of symbolism and symbols. And when I combined that information with what is in "Seventyeight Degrees of Wisdom" (Rachel Pollack) and my own feelings as I contemplate the cards, I feel I get a pretty good picture.

Wicca812

Learning From The Books

Thank you for you suggestions. I wanted to see if the books i have found lately matched any of your lists. Unfortuneatly none of the books save to a wish list. I wasn't signed in. So i have to go back and redo all of it.

wavebreaker

I only have four (not counting books that came with a deck & book set):
  • Learning the Tarot - Joan Bunning
  • Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom - Rachel Pollack
  • Tarot for Your Self - Mary K. Greer
  • Tarot Reversals - Mary K. Greer
At this point, I don't really intend to buy any more, because I'm trying to rely more on my intuition. However, I'd still like to add the three volumes of Stuart R. Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot to my collection one day...

truthsayer

Trogon said:

I do have to agree with Woof about this book, the meanings given to the cards are pretty basic. I feel that she may have been trying to make them somewhat simplistic.

i feel that i have to defend eden gray's book,"the complete guide to tarot." it's not fair to judge it against books out now. gray's book came out over 30 years ago when there wasn't much out in the way of tarot. i lived in a little fundamentalist christian town and the fact i learned about tarot period was a miracle. it was the only book i had to learn tarot with for nearly 10 years until i got "tarot for yourself", "choice centered tarot" and "tarot for the apprentice" in 1985. i considered eden gray's book a god send and didn't consider it too simplistic. it was better than the little white book i had been using for 3 years. whether or not the complete guide to tarot is consider too simplistic depends on your perspective and past experience with the book.

tarotbrat

I have several

Here is my list, I have to say that some of these books I did not read all the way through:
Tarot Companion
The Pictorial Key to the Tarot
The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals
Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom
Learning the Tarot
Tarot Made Easy
Tarot Spells
Tarot For Dummies
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot & Fortune Telling

Eyes of Night

I've only got three:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tarot & Fortune Telling
78 Degrees of Wisdom
Tarot for Yourself

I'm hoping to get Tarot for the New Generation on Christmas.

Trogon

truthsayer said:
i feel that i have to defend eden gray's book,"the complete guide to tarot." it's not fair to judge it against books out now. gray's book came out over 30 years ago when there wasn't much out in the way of tarot.

Okay... allow me to waffle just a little bit then. ;) I've used Eden Gray's book for several years now. I still refer to it in fact. It is a good book on the Tarot. It's just that as I started reading other books and getting other opinions I started applying more meaning to the cards - expanding on what Eden Gray had written for the individual cards. You are definitely correct in the statement that it was a tremendous leap beyond the LWB which came with my RWS deck. Eden Gray undoubtedly helped me build a strong foundation in the basics of the Tarot. I just feel that it was a very good thing for me when I started expanding beyond this book.

Actually, I'm not certain that any single book or source of information is the only thing one should use in learning the Tarot. I feel that by reading different books by different authors has really furthered my learning the Tarot. I also feel that discussions and information presented here at Aeclectic Tarot has helped me tremendously as well.

Kiama

I've owned far too many Tarot books over the years that I can remember... Most I sold when I moved to Cardiff this September. Some I gave away, some I lost... I used to buy Tarot books all the time, until I started buying Tarot decks instead, and lo! No more money left to buy books... So, for the last year/2 years, I have bought hardly any Tarot books, and relied purely on different decks to learn a little more about Tarot.

And of course, the most useful thing to read, better than any book, and much cheaper... the Aeclectic forums! I've learned more in the 2 and a bit years (I think) I've been here than I have learned from all the books I have read on the subject ever!

And now I'm in the process of writing a book... Who wants to buy one, when you can write one yourself?! ;)

Kiama

oceanpoetry

great suggestions!

I am afraid I am rapidly becoming a tarotoholic! :D
I have currently"
Learning the Tarot, Joan Bunning
78 Degrees of Wisdom, Rachel Pollack
Tarot, Plain and Simple, Anthony Louis

On my wish list is "Power Tarot" and "A Magical Course in Tarot" ...I also want to get "Tarot for Your Self" but have found it is out of print in the US. Fortunately it is available through Amazon UK.

Thanks for all of your recommendations! I am discovering there are many wonderful tarot books available. I know it is important to eventually develop intuition with the cards so I won't have to use the books. But for me, it has been wonderful to cross-reference the information in these books so I can develop my skills with tarot.