Original RWS vs Radiant

painty

Hi
I own and am studying the tarot using the original RWS deck. I have always thought that although the symbolism is clearer with this deck (for a beginner), the line definition and some of the colours leave a lot to be desired. I have heard some people say the colours used in the radiant version are closer to the true symbolism for the cards due to some of the colours used (blue skies in many cards such as the hermit, the wheel etc) as opposed to greyer, darker/duller shades in the original RWS.
Obviously both decks have the same images but i was wondering how much meaning (if any) i should put into the different shades? As a beginner i am still learning the meanings and what the cards say to me so its possible that a darker sky can instill a slightly different meaning to a card (bright - upbeat, optimistic vs dark - dreary, harsh etc).
Is there enough to warrant purchasing the radiant deck and learning with that?
I know decks are very personal and the 'right' deck is the one that works for you but would like people's views on these two decks and if the symbolism is that much different. I like the RWS deck so either would be great to learn with so is it just a matter of taste and im reading too much into the colours?
Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

decan

I have the original Rider-Waite and lately I felt uncomfortable with it because of its artistic aspect.
Personally I find that the Radiant is too colorful (for me). Actually I chose the Universal Waite, authentic to the original but more pleasant to look at, more colored but not too much.
It’s as well a question of taste, naturally.

Zephyros

Waite was highly influenced by the Golden Dawn who had strict rules for the use of colors in decks. The attributions can be found in Liber 777. However, although he knew the correct attributions, he didn't use them. Or at least, not in any consistent fashion. He kind of did with the Trumps but the Minors are all over the place. As far as I know, the BOTA does use the correct colors (when I say "correct" I mean as having any meaning at all rather than just haphazard) but it uses plain pips and I'm not sure it uses the original GD colors.

So, you know, the whole thing is such a mess that even if you were to go "by the book" it would be a self-defeating exercise. So on this matter you have no choice but to do your own thing. There is no RWS deck that uses the colors with any appreciable consistency, neither the original nor the Radiant.

painty

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at either the universal or radiant, aside from the colours, for the better defined lines in a lot of the images. I like the rws deck but the original has a lot of images that are really 'busy' and hard to make out a lot of the detail (5,10, king of pentacles, queen of cups etc). Looking at the universal or radiant, the images are so much clearer and well defined it just makes it easier seeing everything.

Aunty Anthea

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at either the universal or radiant, aside from the colours, for the better defined lines in a lot of the images. I like the rws deck but the original has a lot of images that are really 'busy' and hard to make out a lot of the detail (5,10, king of pentacles, queen of cups etc). Looking at the universal or radiant, the images are so much clearer and well defined it just makes it easier seeing everything.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I am in love with my new baby Radiant RWS in a tin :heart:

It is brighter and clearer to see in dull lighting :D

For my own personal usage I use the Mythic Tarot :love: and my original deck is not moving from my desk :)

My 'Tarot in a Tin' will be going everywhere with me and whenever I have a few minutes to spare I will take a quick look. I think this will improve my knowledge and understanding of RWS and my ability to work with it :D

If you are new to Tarot reading you might like to try the Mythic Tarot, not just because it is my all-time favourite :love: but because you could also buy a workbook for the deck

Admittedly, I have not bought the workbook myself but have heard many shinning reports from those people who have used it :)

danieljuk

When I look at my Radiant cards, it often gives me a new idea or a new angle on the cards. However I think the Radiant and Universal are highly (almost over) coloured. I sort of take the original RWS decks as more of a guide to what the colours should have been but there is probably no wrong answer here.

there is some links in this old thread to the 1909 card images with accurate colouring - http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=30108

When I read tarot, I read the colours of the card I am looking at at the time. So the duller and more colourised versions are both read at the time! But it's probably difficult to define the true symbolism. If you want to do that you might just have to choose a deck for that, in my tarot method that is the older RWS decks with the duller colours :)

I would purchase the Radiant RWS if you want another take on the cards or read some readings with a different twist! But the ways the images are coloured is different to the older RWS, I use them as separate decks really

painty

Many thanks for all the feedback, as ever, much appreciated.

Richard

The Radiant sucks. Don't waste your money. A more accurate version is the Smith-Waite Centennial.

painty

The Radiant sucks. Don't waste your money. A more accurate version is the Smith-Waite Centennial.

Ahh, this looks like just what i was searching for! I really wanted a deck that stays as close to the RWS but with clearer lines and closer to the original colours. Thank you so much! I had never heard of this version and doesn't really show up in searches for the RWS.
I have now ordered and am looking forward to learning with them :)

decan

I didn't know also that there was a Waite-Smith Centennial Tarot.
It looks better than the Original. Nevertheless I must say that I like my Universal Waite.

Below, if folks are interested, I found a video which compares all the Waite decks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVUMoChbY8A