After Tarot by Lo Scarabeo

Itzpapalotlette

The After Tarot Deck

Has there been any more discussion about this deck?

I just received it and read two spreads from it, loved it very much. However, I have some concern with the writer's rules about when to read and how to "reverse" the reading when you pull the cards up... or something like that? I don't know, it seemed like her description of the ritual of when and how to use these cards seemed very specific. In essence, it didn't feel quite right. I think I will honor her suggestion of not letting direct sunlight hit the cards, however, I feel best reading them as I would any other deck: when I am called to them. I still hold true to the sentiment that we have free will, and I find it difficult to believe that you are held to the fate of the cards if you do not follow a certain ritual when pulling the cards up after a reading...

Unless I read that completely wrong, and am misunderstanding. Any opinions about her book and experience with the deck is MUCH appreciated!

leamoon

rwcarter

One person's ritual can be another person's hooey. As I like to say, just because it's written (in a book or on a website) doesn't make it gospel. If it resonates with you, by all means use it. If it doesn't resonate, then don't do it.

I've glanced through the book to look at what the author has to say about certain card interpretations (my reaction to the 2C is further up in this thread). I haven't bothered to read anything else in the book.

I'm actually using the deck along with the LoS PCS Centennial (new version, not the original) as a double deck. Already a couple of times I've had the same card from both decks come up in the same spread.

Do you have any specific questions about using the deck?

Rodney

magicjack

I skipped the book. There are times that I am curious to know what is said in the book but I'm actually enjoying making up my own mind and meanings with the cards. Some really confuse me. Like the 5 of cups guy. Now that he is trying to be positive and focus on what he has and not what he's lost,. He misses the chance to save someone from drowning! The king of cups is bored to death! And of course there are others. Nevertheless, it's given me a chance to revisit the RWS with a twist.

bogiesan

I skipped the book. There are times that I am curious to know what is said in the book but I'm actually enjoying making up my own mind and meanings with the cards. Some really confuse me. ... Nevertheless, it's given me a chance to revisit the RWS with a twist.

Book? Bleh.
The more I've read through Kenner's book the more I wish she'd just let her imagination run wild. Instead of trying to explain the card's symbols and historic meanings, why not tell us what has happened since Pamela's original snapshot was taken? That's what I've been doing for myself. I have before me three weirdly related Waite/Smith decks in play at the same time: New Vision, After, and Centennial are identically collated and stacked in three piles. Pick the same card from each deck. Arrange as desired. Create a story.