"Gift Pack" Rider-Waite

Laura Borealis

There's a deck called the "Gift Pack of Tarot Cards" which looks to be a recolored RWS.
You can see it here: http://tarot.net.au/store/index.php/specials/tarot-deck/p_46.html

Also, I've uploaded the other picture I've found of it.

From the pictures it looks a lot like the Universal or the Radiant. But not exactly like either. The King of Pentacles has the deeper, darker purple on the grapes on his robe, more like the Universal (going by the pics here). The Fool in the picture I uploaded, though, looks more like the Radiant to me. The deeper blue of the mountain for instance.
ETA: I'm not saying it actually IS either of them. Just that it looks like them to me.

This "Gift Pack" appeals to me because it has reasonably nice looking backs...
...and it has Pixie's calligraphy not the computer font...
...and I would dearly love to have a RWS without the U.S. Games copyright on the fronts!

Does anyone have this?
If so, what's the cardstock like?
Is it nice?

Attachments

• GiftPackRWS1.jpg
    GiftPackRWS1.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 585

MoonGypsy

i have never seen it before, Laura! :love: i am quite intrigued now, too! i love well done RWS clones, and this one looks quite nice!

Hugs and Blessings,
MGxxx

ETA: drat, i just realized the website you posted with the deck is in Australia. Have you been able to find them in the USA, Laura?

emmsma

I've seen this on ebay recently. Coming from Australia. Going for about $30.

Dusk Till Dawn

Ok, I couldn't find out how to watch this thread, so I am saying this all sounds very interesting..

Annabelle

Cool! I am always happy to discover another edition of the RWS out there.

Found one on eBay and just purchased it :).

Laura Borealis

I saw that one on eBay. That's where I got the other picture. When you get it, let us know what you think, Annabelle. :)

I have not found it in the US, MoonGypsy. I am thinking U.S. Games would probably stop anyone selling it here? Since they have the copyright (and also publish the clones)... I could be wrong though.

Anyway, I ordered it from the Oz site... I guess I'll find out what it's like when it gets here!

Le Fanu

I saw that one recently somewhere. Now struggling to remember where!

Laura Borealis

The box has an interesting pseudo-vintage look.

It's pretty cheap too. $15.00 Aussie, $13.82 U.S, €9,38 Euro.

And the site owner is nice to deal with. I traded a couple emails with her. Very friendly and she says she'll ship it today.

Laura Borealis

I received this today and am quite pleased!

I still think it looks a lot like the Universal and Radiant (as far as I can tell from scans, as I don't own either). It's more like the Universal in terms of the drawings, but without the delicacy of details and color. It's bold and it's bright. Almost knock-your-socks-off bright.

The cardstock is thinish and springy and the lamination is shiny. The cards slide easily against each other. When examined closely in the light, the cardstock appears to have a woven or cross-hatched pattern, maybe a linen type finish? I'm not an expert on cardstock like some of you. But regardless of this woven look, the cards are smooth.

I will note that a few of mine had small scratches or teeny blots in the finish, just as a warning to those who are fastidious about these things. They don't bother me.

You can see the backs in one of the pics in the first post. The medallion in the middle is the emblem in the middle of the Wheel of Fortune card, with the letters T-A-R-O around the circle. And the diagonal pattern is the word "Tarot" repeated over and over, with tiny lions rampant. So it's not a reversible back, but it very nearly is. You'd have to look close to tell which way the cards are from their backs.

There's no LWB (though the seller included a printed sheet). I can totally recommend the seller -- link in first post of the thread. She shipped very quickly and was nice to deal with.

Laura Borealis

Detective work:

The only indication of printer identity is on the bottom of the box. It says

Imported by: KellyHu
Email:kellyhuhb@gmail.com
I searched around trying to find out more. There is an actress named Kelly Hu which complicated things. But searching the email address turned up this link from a year and a few months ago: PRINTING COMPANY ESTABLISHED IN 1868 FOR SALE, AUSTRALIA

Established 1868? Operating in Brisbane, Australia? There ought to be some kind of records of this printing company...

More searching. It might be this company, Watson Ferguson & Co. The place and date match, anyway. I can't connect the name KellyHu or kellyhuhb with the printing company, though. The current owners' names are given as Terry Kelly and Steve Gould, who acquired the printing company in 1987. No clue if the sale alluded to above took place.

Any AT members in Brisbane? Or I suppose I could email and ask if they've ever printed a tarot... though they wouldn't be able to tell me anything about their client, I'm sure. Privacy and all that. But maybe more info will come to light. Until then I'm content to think of this as the "Gift Pack" RWS, as labeled on the box.