"l'arte dei tarocchi" fabbri vs LoS decks: same quality?

l'appeso

Hi,

Has any of you had the chance of seeing one of the decks of "l'arte dei tarocchi" published in Italy by fabbri in 2001? They seem to be a reprint of some LoS decks. As they sometimes come cheaper on ebay I was considering getting some of them. are they same quality/same card stock?

Le Fanu

Generally the same decks, different boxes. I have yet to come across one which was significantly different.

Recently though I saw the fabbri/Orbis reprint of the Ancient Tarot of Marseilles and it had white borders which seemed a bit odd (and which I didn't like). Also the Sola Busca (renamed here "Alchemist's Tarot") was thinner in terms of card format. Same cardstock but the cards were thinner width-wise.

There is an edition of the Ancient Italian called "Tarot Clássico" which is very confusing as it isn't the LoS Gumppenberg Classical Tarot. It is the Ancient Italian with borders and card titles.

They have also recycled some tarot decks as Oracle decks, i.e Rasputin's Oracle is the Golden Tarot of the Tsar with fewer cards and no gold! There's also a reduced version of the Nostradamus Cards (30-something cards and not 78!).

The Visconti (in a Green Box) doesn't have gold either.

(come to think of it, there are quite a few differences, aren't there? ;))

I have loads of these decks. I pick them up cheaply at the flea market (they came out here in 2001 here too, but as time passes I see them less and less frequently). I have the Minchiate, Trevisan Renaissance, Trevisan Crystal, Thoth Crowley, Etteilla Jeu des Dames, plus Oracles, Ancient Italian, had the Sola Busca but traded it as I already had the LoS version. Loads of others. I'll remember later. Any question, just ask as I think I've sent them all at one time or another.

I still kick myself after seeing them all laid out at the flea market once when I was in a non-tarot phase and all decks were 1 euro each and I didn't buy them. Grrr!

l'appeso

I was interested in the "ligure-piemontese"... unfortunately it has got subtitles, right?
and this is the only edition available, I guess

Le Fanu

But the LoS one has titles too. Nice deck.

l'appeso

Subtitles are a big putoff, but I like the design better than any other piedmontese decks. I guess it is one of the oldest in that category (except maybe for the Ottone tarot, which I can only imagine from the fournier spanish tarot based on it).
plus it was originally made in Ghemme which is not far from my place.