"Born in the USSR" Tarot by Alexander Daniloff

prudence

I know he's said that he didn't want to outshine his other tarot deck, but if he published a 78 card version with boldly styled pips and courts (like the old Italian and TdM decks), I'd have a really, REALLY hard time resisting (hint! hint!).

Me too. I need 78 cards to justify a purchase and I need all of them to read. I am just not down with majors only readings, not in my skill set and not what I am used to. I have his Daniloff deck, which is 78 cards, basically RWS, but with his special touch. It is one of my favorite reading decks ever. So nuanced, so expressive. So beautifully executed.

mad as a hatter

For those who think Daniloff is "celebrating the Communist era," this is what he has to say:

http://www.daniloff-art.it/Tarocchi gallery/Born in the USSR.html

“Born in the USSR” is a series of Major Arcana inspired by Soviet propaganda posters of the '20s and '30s. It represents the human enthusiasm for the construction of a better future, a future so far away not to leave anything for the present, that turns into a nightmare.

Of the 22 cards in the USSR tarot, some (especially the Empress and the Emperor) show that enthusiasm and some (Justice, which shows a shackled man beaten over the head with a hammer and sickle) show the darker side.

mrpants

Yes Mad, I think he was very clear.