The Deviant Moon

VioletEye

i love the deviant moon!

it's funny, i usually go for older decks; the "classics", if you will. in fact, looking at my small collection, almost all of them are at least 30 years old. but as soon as i saw the deviant moon, there was no question.

i know a lot of people find it to be either too creepy or too silly (because let's face it, it's both!), but truly - for straight up reading, it's amazing. i have those spine-tingling, gooseflesh-raising moments with the deviant moon more than any other deck.

Marcus R

I bought a Thoth deck 20+ years ago but never learned Tarot. When I was given a RWS deck and asked to study Tarot, Deviant Moon was the first deck I bought for myself.
At first it looks dark and grotesque but I have found it cheeky and honest. Many characters are smiling, there is love and togetherness among many of them (as there should be). A very well presented deck, I am very happy with it. My wife won't let me read for her or some of her friends with it though (it creeps her out).
I especially love the death card, it seems that the child is begging for its life just seconds before being crushed underfoot ( well...dark and grotesque I admit, but there's no arguing with it).

LilyanRose

I LOVE this deck and was immediately drawn to it when I saw it. It's the first deck I'm getting serious with in learning tarot after using the Cosmic tarot for many years. I admit it sometimes confuses me and I have to think about a card because the art gives a different impression than traditional meanings and the Rider Waite deck, but I'm developing my own meanings and interpretations.

I did a reading about a relationship for someone, and I can't remember what the past card was, but the present was the 5 Cups and the future was 5 Swords. Even for someone as inexperienced as me the meaning was CRYSTAL clear. ;-)

LilyanRose

BTW I'm new to this forum, but how do we set up or request a study group for this Deviant Moon tarot?

LilyanRose

BTW I'm new to this forum, but how do we set up or request a study group for this Deviant Moon tarot?

VioletEye

welcome, LilyanRose!
i know that there used to be a study group for the deviant moon; i just went to find it for you, and it looks like it doesn't exist anymore? (a bit disappointed about that. :/ )
but the threads are all still there, it looks like; you just have to go to the forum and type "deviant moon" into the forum search bar:

http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14

good luck!

edited: WAIT!!! i found it! http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1553685
whew :)

darkbookworm13

My copy reminds me of the old Punch and Judy puppet shows, combined with a weirdness that just grew on me.

I bought it, couldn't connect with it for months, and then began using it in January. Now it is the first deck I use whenever I do readings.

That is partly because the deck insists that anytime I use my collection, I start with the Deviant Moon deck first. No matter what.

Barleywine

I don't have it yet, but will get the borderless edition at some point. My first thought when I saw it was "Hieronymous Bosch and Tim Burton had a baby, and its name was Deviant Moon." At first glance, there seems to be so much anguish - both explicit and veiled - in the images that I wondered whether I could get a full range of intuitive expression from them. Interestingly, it was the Ace of Wands that convinced me. The faces are very mask-like and enigmatic; they had me stepping back and thinking "Now what is THAT all about?" Which is a good thing.

Moonboy

Thank you, Nice to read your comments :)

BTW

Deviant Moon Companion Book PREORERS NOW OPEN!

The Asylum is offering PREORDERS for SIGNED copies w/ ink moon doodles a few weeks early in anticipation of a surge in orders. This will give us time to process everything....PREORDER and secure your unique copy at:

http://www.deviantmoon.com/wordpress/?p=3017

swedishfish612

It was my learning deck, and it's still among my top 5 favorites!