Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Top Ten essential tarot titles

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Books & Media

Citizen

Morgane_49 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendywu
Nah, it all gets too complicated for me and she loses me ....

goes and stands in thickie corner ......
She does take it too far at times, but I enjoyed reading some of the history and just skimmed over what wasn't of interest to me. The Tarot Wisdom book was the first one I'd bought by her, and I doubt very seriously that I would buy another one.

I did walk away from it with some interesting tidbits that I wasn't aware of before. And, my favourite part was the excercise/spreads she included after each of the MA cards. I found them very helpful.

I would never recommend it as the only tarot book you'll ever need! You'd be so confused and frustrated that you'd never get to the enjoyment part!
Top   #61
Thursday's Child

Wendywu 
Thursday's Child

I liked Tarot Wisdom - it was the Haindl books I lost it with ...
Top   #62
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

I was OK with 78 degrees and Forest of Souls....
Top   #63
Citizen

Le Fanu 
Citizen

Im gonna come clean; I don't really like "touchy-feely, visualise your spirit guide and swim with the dolphin-fairy whilst massaging your ancestors' chakras" approach to tarot. Im not knocking it, I just can't do it. My question is;

is "Tarot Wisdom" like this?

I want something that sanely orientates me without having to jump through all kinds of wooky hoops. This is the kind of Tarot Book/reading methodology book I'm looking for.

(there. Ive said it)
Top   #64
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Huson is MADE for you. Wooky-free !

Never read Wisdom; I saw it in Watkins once and it didn't really SCREAM to me so I bought a deck instead
Top   #65
Citizen

rif 
Citizen

I agree, Huson is good.
Top   #66
Thursday's Child

Wendywu 
Thursday's Child

Yes - the Huson is excellent. Very clear and well put. No new agey stuff at all.....
Top   #67
Citizen

rif 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu
What I feel I need is a good "reading methodology" book. Approaches to reading without "keywords" (Tarot Plain & Simple is great for that)
I'm sorry, but Tarot Plain & Simple puts me to sleep every time I've looked at it! I liked his reading examples at the beginning, but the rest of the book... meh. I also don't care for the deck it's illustrated with, so reading about those cards doesn't do much for me.

I also can't get into 78 Degrees of Wisdom; it seems a little too personal for the author's experience for me to relate to. Her more recent Tarot Wisdom is a more enjoyable and useful read to me; although she extensively relies on Huson's book. See? You're in good shape with that one.

Check out Tarot for Life, by Prospero. It's a gem of a book, and may help you rethink your approach to tarot. Compact and a good read. If you google the author, you can find a sample from his book.

One of my most treasured tarot books is Mastering Tarot by Paul Fenton-Smith. :amor: If you're ever fortunate enough to get your hands on a reasonable priced copy, I highly recommend it. I learn something every time I read it. The chapter of real-life stories of strange reading experiences is priceless!

These are two titles I don't see mentioned very often, so I wanted to offer you suggestions off the beaten path.
Top   #68
Just a little prairie faerie

lark 
Just a little prairie faerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif
One of my most treasured tarot books is Mastering Tarot by Paul Fenton-Smith. :amor: If you're ever fortunate enough to get your hands on a reasonable priced copy, I highly recommend it. I learn something every time I read it. The chapter of real-life stories of strange reading experiences is priceless!
Paul Fenton-Smith has a new book out called Tarot Masterclass.
Very good book...check it out.
Top   #69
Citizen

Le Fanu 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif
I'm sorry, but Tarot Plain & Simple puts me to sleep every time I've looked at it! I liked his reading examples at the beginning, but the rest of the book... meh. I also don't care for the deck it's illustrated with, so reading about those cards doesn't do much for me
Yes, I ignore the illustrations, but I like the quickfire meanings. It is as if his keywords are almost stream of consciousness. As if James Joyce or Virginia Woolf were writing keywords. I think he gives a very well-rounded sense of a card's meanings. I like those keywords. I think they cover most aspects of a cards meaning. Of course, the idea is to go off at a tangent, but they have a contemporary feel which I like (see Queen of Swords reversed; "a real bitch").

I tend to just consult it sometimes after Ive done a reading for myself to see if there is anything which sets me thinking in another direction...
Top   #70

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.