Holistic Tarot - Benebell Wen

Assena

i bought the kindle edition this morning. I am looking forward to a long enjoyable read this fall.

Hi eolian, can I ask you how is it going with the kindle version? I have been thinking about buying the book from Google Play since I can't get right now the printed version and I think the printed one works better for me, because I can read different sections of the book easily, I'm not really good with ebooks but after reading all the good reviews it has I'm very curious.

eolian

I have not started it yet. I am working my way through a couple of other books i have. I can read Spanish and "CURSO FÁCIL DE TAROT - TOMO 1:" has been pretty good so far. I am sure i will pick up Tomo`s 2-5
I have done only digital books for the last 3 or 4 years with probably over 200 books in my library. I have gotten where it is very difficult for me to read an actual book as i have to wear reading glasses and my eye`s get tired quickly now, but i can read for hours on a digital platform.

peacewing

Hi eolian, can I ask you how is it going with the kindle version? I have been thinking about buying the book from Google Play since I can't get right now the printed version and I think the printed one works better for me, because I can read different sections of the book easily, I'm not really good with ebooks but after reading all the good reviews it has I'm very curious.

If I may chime in here...

I love printed books, but always try and spring for the ebooks to save space, and for a few other great features. First, this book is HUGE! It's a monster in real life, and I lug around enough textbooks everyday, so an ebook version is really convenient. I also like it because you make as many virtual bookmarks as you want, can highlight, take notes, and you can't lose it or spill anything on it.

The table of contents is interactive on many platforms, so you can easily "flip" through the content as well. The ebook format took me a while to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, the added features are really great bonuses. Depending on your program, you can dim the screen for a night view, adjust the text size, etc.

Plus, the kindle version was cheaper. =)

mothcloth

i know i'm somewhat late to the party, but!

it's a wonderful, wonderful book - not all parts did vibe with me equally well, but as a starting point, as a refresher or just 'cause, i can see this being a lovely addition to any tarot-themed shelf. it has helped me immensely.

especially benebell's "this is my personal approach"-way of doing things is awesome!

HeidiLynn

So being my OCD self when it comes to books. I used the birthday money I had left from my last tattoo and bought both this book and it's ebook as well.
Being a bit of a nerd I love the scholarly tone of Holistic Tarot... love love love! all the references and notes and while there are some things that don't sing the way I do.. a lot of it does. But then that is how you personalize tarot to yourself. Some aspects of tarot reading must be intuitive...
I love the physical book for study and note taking.. but I love the ebook version for reading on the go or in bed lol.
It isn't a book that I would recommend to the average beginner because it would prolly be quite intimidating. But to the slightly more advanced reader who wants to really dive into tarot study and isn't intimidated by a good heavy duty book... I highly recommend it!

Tennessee

In one way, I agree with you here, that she does try a tad bit too hard to come off as a "smart, intellectual, normal person" with those statements she makes. But on the other hand, I also really like that about her! Because I'm also working very hard to show people that tarot doesn't have to be only for the gypsy wannabes in horrible tie-dye dresses that talk about curses and want to come off all "mysterious and unique".

This is exactly what I like about her book also. Besides Bunning's book, this is one of the few books I have that speak to my "Mr Spock" side. For me, tarot isn't about predicting the future. It's about using card archetypes, etc, to work through current issues that will have an *effect* of my future.

But these differing opinions show how multifaceted the world of tarot is. There's room for everyone.

IreneCroft

Ram's heads

I bought the Kindle version of the book. Yesterday, I read the chapters about Queen and King of Pentacles.

What I find strange about those chapters is how Benebell describes the thrones.

That's what she writes about the Emperor's throne:
Ram heads are sculpted into his throne.

The throne of the Queen of Pentacles:
Her throne bears carvings of a ram, for power and leadership

And the throne of the King of Pentacles:
Ram heads adorn his throne.

But that's true only for the Universal Tarot by de Angelis! On the same cards of the Waite-Smith's Tarot there are different heads of the astrological symbols. Ram's head for Aries of the Emperor. Goat's head for Capricorn of the Queen. Bull's head for Taurus of the King.

There are no additional notes in the book or on Benebell's site. Could it be that she worked with Universal Tarot while there are illustrations from RWS in the book?

And by the way, I just can't correlate masculine, fire symbolism of the ram to the Pentacles' Court cards.

In Tresidder's The Complete Dictionary of Symbols the ram is described as a symbol of 'solar energy, impetuous ardour, virility, hotheadedness, obstinacy'. More like Wands than Pentacles.

How do you explain this thing with ram's heads on the thrones of the Pentacles' court cards?

Citrin

IreneCroft: That’s interesting hmm… Maybe you could e-mail Benebell or contact her through her site? She’s usually very easy to get in contact with and answers lots of a questions from what I’ve seen.

IreneCroft

IreneCroft: That’s interesting hmm… Maybe you could e-mail Benebell or contact her through her site? She’s usually very easy to get in contact with and answers lots of a questions from what I’ve seen.

Thank you for an advice! I have not found the e-mail address, but I left a comment on the site. Let's wait for an answer.

Citrin

Thank you for an advice! I have not found the e-mail address, but I left a comment on the site. Let's wait for an answer.

Oh yes, check back in a day or two and she might have answered. :) She's very generous and helpful when it comes to things like that. :)