Tarot made easy by Nancy Garen

Asher

I tend to shy away from any "_____Made Easy" or "_____ in Ten Minutes" kinds of books (kind of ironic since I do like a few of the "for Dummies/Idiots" titles :) )

"Magickal Course" was too fluffy/sweet for my taste, though her approach to reading Tarot is very much like my own: a combination of 'standard' meanings and intuitive flashes based on the cards' imagery. The writing just did not appeal to me.

A similar approach described in a more practical/down to earth writing style is Amber K's "Heart of Tarot", published by Llwellyn a couple of years ago. Definitely worth a look.

As with any book, take what you like and leave the rest. That's why I got rid of most of my Tarot books. I kept only the ones that I found myself re-reading or referring to again. (And, that way, I have more $ for decks!)

Asher

Shade

I know we just had the "Holier than Thou" discussion in Talking Tarot but this is the one book that brings out the Tarot Snob in me. I absolutely hate the idea that the cards would be interpreted in this, so that every time you ever got the 3 of cups in a work reading you'd plug in this interpretation. It's a little bit like horoscopes that don't take into account your moon and ascendent signs. I think there is just so MUCH that the 3 of cups cpuld be saying. Maybe a new offcie team has been put together and they are getting along beautifully. Perhaps two companies have been selected to work on a particular contract and are discovering how they blend or a re returning to work togetehr agaon on a new project.

I apologize to folks who love the book and to Nancy Garen herself, it just irks me.