ADEPT LEVEL; 21 Ways . . . Step 14

Jewel

I will re-read the step this weekend, review what I did, and get back to you guys on Monday on my understanding or new understanding of this step if it changes. I did this step quite some time ago, so I really don't remember off the top of my head.

Verdi

21 Ways, Adept level 14

DruidCraft Deck
My Chosen card: The Lady.

Here is the first part of step 14. A bit late as usual, but I am trying to keep up. I am also doing a course using the Thoth deck, which I find very challenging and giving at the moment.
Andrew :)

I ended up with ten themes, and they generally are sorted after “numerological” theme sets, though with exceptions. They seem to follow their Elemental associations. The group with most cards was under the theme of Deliberation and Thought. It seems that the themes cover all aspects of living life.

My card comes under the theme of Togetherness. Strangely enough I am having problems with my family, or to put it another way, I am choosing not to have relations with my birth family. On the other hand I have a great family on my partner’s side and good friends.

1- Action and the pursuit of will.
Prince of Swords, Six of Wands, Eight of Wands, The Magician, The Fool, Prince of Wand, Strength, Princess of Wands, The Chariot, Queen of Wands, King of Wands,

2. Deliberation and thought
King of Swords, Nine of Pentacles, King of Wands, , King of Pentacles, Three of Wands, , Four of Swords, The Star, King of Cups, The Lord, Princess of Pentacles, Queen of Pentacles, The High Priest, Seven of Swords. Princess of Swords, Justice, Queen of Swords,

3. Inner Journeys
The High Priestess, Eight of Cups, Two of Swords, The Moon, Queen of Cups The Hermit Princess of Cups, Death

4. Defence
Five of Wands, Seven of Wands, Nine of Wands

5. Apprehension and indecision
Six of Swords, Prince of Cups, Prince of Pentacles, Four of Cups, Seven of Cups

6. Being afraid
Ten of Swords, Eight of Swords, Nine of Swords

7. Money on the agenda.
Six of Pentacles, Seven of Pentacles, Four of Pentacles

8. Togetherness
Three of Cups, Two of Cups, Six of Cups, Cernunnos, The Lovers, Ten of Cups, Four of Wands, Nine of Cups, Ten of Cups, The Lady

9. Being alone
Five of Cups, Three of Swords, Five of Swords, Ten of Wands, Five of Pentacles, The Tower,

10. Change and beginnings
The Wheel, Rebirth, The Sun, The World, The Hanged Man, Two of Wands, The Four Aces

Verdi

part 14.5

Step 14.5.
I hope I have this bit right!

I assume that the spreads definitions are not relevant here.

My three cards from step 12 were: The Hermit (Earth), The High Priestess (Water) and The Star (Air)

Earth –Water- Air. This would indicate that the sides are somewhat weak and the center card is strong.

The Golden Dawn interpretation would be to just interpret The High Priestess.

I would interpret this as the High Priestess, a need for withdrawal and inner calm is strongest. The Hermits need for active seeking is definitely tempered by The Stars optimism and hope for the future. Perhaps this means that though the card clearly suggest a time of inner peace and stillness, they will be affected by an underlying need to intellectualize the inner calmness (Hermit) and perhaps being drawn out of the calmness, by an inner feeling of being healed and confident (Star).

I leave it at that for now, until I am sure I have done it right ;)
Andrew :)

dadsnook2000

Dave's step 14:5

OK, I'm dealing a pair of cards to go with my Hermit card. To start this part of the exercise I have: 2 Swords, Hermit, 2 Cups. The consensus is that the Hermit is an Earth card, although I think of it as "seeking-Air" and "working within the Spirit-Water" type of compassion for others.

This translates into Air-Earth which is contrary, and Earth-Water as friendly.

Given the above line/statement, let's start with a possible interpretation of the 3 card spread as might be done based on the card meanings.
** TWO/swords: One has to be objective in seeing situations made up of opposing sides/views, make a decision towards being impartial if neither side is of a vested interest, or of deciding which side to take if it involves you or is caused (in part, at least) by you.
** HERMIT: We are always seeking for ourselves even if being available to help others. The seeker seeks, the seeker is sought. There is always a tangled web of questions, answers and situational dilemmas to consider.
** TWO/cups: One is within a zone of feelings shared although not always desired. Feelings ebb and flow so how one feels within an emotional zone is not a stable situation.
CONCLUSION: One has been presented with a confrontational situation in which one is expected to choose sides. There is confusion, many choices, many possible avenues leading to some sort of a solution or escape. A swirl of emotions keeps things stirred up, pushing one's thoughts and feeling first in one direction, then in another. Emotions can be diminished or kept within bounds but a decision can have permanent consequences.

Now, applying the dignity & theme overview. lets see what we get.
** Air/Earth, or 2/swords and Hermit/earth: One can't see clear merits on either side of the issue and therefore a resistance to make an either-or choice exists.
** Earth/Water or Hermit/earth and 2/cups-Water: There is an inclination to deal with the distraction of emotions and feelings, either by trying to sense when the moment is right to step in, or to use one's presence and stability of being to act as a calming zone.
CONCLUSION: Once emotions and feeling have been recognized and dealt with the decision of balancing or of confronting the choices others wish to place upon you will be easier to deal with or to ignore. It can be important to visualize what the spread would represent without the Hermit present. The heat of beliefs/thoughts/decisions would clash with feelings/compassion/ accommodation. In effect the situation would reflect two sides to both sides. This is an impossible situation. Clearly, the presence of the Hermit is the only likely mediation force or presence (not action oriented presence) that would or could provide a pause, a stabilization, perhaps a momentary truce --- but maybe not a solution. Is there even a solution here? It may be that all parties have to separate and go their own ways, giving up what they may have hoped was possible.

I'll think about this approach, perhaps the group will comment on this and tear it up a bit. Does this make sense? Dave

dadsnook2000

Dave comments on his own last post.

In my previous post, using my chosen focus card as the center card in a three card spread, there was a point where I "removed" the center card to see what effect its influence of being absent would have on the interaction of the other two cards. This is an interesting approach when you consider any three-card combination --- seeing what the "removal" of a card has on the other two.

Any comments from the list on this? Dave

squeakmo9

For Dave...

In your 3 card spread air-earth-water...air and earth(the flanking cards) would be neutral. Leaving earth rather strong, and considering that it is a major arcana(Hermit)...it would have an even more prominent interp.

Dave said:
In my previous post, using my chosen focus card as the center card in a three card spread, there was a point where I "removed" the center card to see what effect its influence of being absent would have on the interaction of the other two cards. This is an interesting approach when you consider any three-card combination --- seeing what the "removal" of a card has on the other two.

I never thought of doing this, and in your throw, it would be like a ship without a sail by removing the Hermit. There would be no motivating factor or direction for water(2 of cups) or air(2 of sword). Like what would the point be of digging deeper(Hermit) into those intense emotions(2 of cups) in a relationship, or examining the role of self(2 of swords) within relationships with others. Your center card is 'elevated' in a way, and more than capable of exploring and bringing together 2 cards that may not want anything to do with each other. Just my take, Dave.

DreamWalker

Ok, I'm interrupting here, but I just got this book about 2 weeks ago and I see you guys are almost through the steps... I'm bummed - as I would've liked to move through them with others... adds depth and also helps work out kinks...

You guys are doing great though! Hopefully the 21 ways study group will begin at the beginning again once you all are through!

Blessings...

dadsnook2000

Oh, NOOO, no, DreamWalker

DreamWalker, you've got it all wrong. This study group is perpetually ongoing. It doesn't start at some point ---- we have Tarot lovers starting with us every week. There are always others close to the same steps you would be traveling and there are always the "old" members who go back and encourage and comment of help.

And, once we get done with the dual set of 21 steps, we hope to continue on with some other work. No, you have to join. We're here, we'll be here. Dave

Jewel

To DreamWalker

dadsnook2000 said:
And, once we get done with the dual set of 21 steps, we hope to continue on with some other work. No, you have to join. We're here, we'll be here. Dave
Yes ...... what Dave said! We are always available to help you on your journey if you need us, all you need do is ask. We do pop into the other threads when we have time, but we are only a PM away if you feel like you need us. 21 Ways is an incredible journey, and we cannot help ourselves but to encourage others to take it too! Please do join the study group!

Jewel

dadsnook2000 said:

Any comments from the list on this? Dave
That would then leave you with a two card spread, correct? What I like about this approach is that it really shows the interplay between cards as if something is absent it can change everything.