Best Bargains

Gerbear

Most of us are always on the lookout for a bargain. What is your best bargain find in a tarot deck?
Just last month, I was thinking about a bookstore I used to frequent in the sixties. I did a search and found out that they are now online. I found the site and was amazed to see the Gilgamesh Tarot listed. This is a handmade, OOP gem. The price was fourteen dollars. So I ordered it and waited. The next day, I received a call from the store telling me that it was their last copy and that it was kind of beat up. If I still wanted it, they would sell it for seven dollars! When it arrived, the cards were
in excellent shape. It came in a plastic bag which was at the worst, a little smudged. That's my bargain find. How about yours?

Woof

Got an excellent condition copy of the POMO at Bookmans (AZ used book store) for $15. Got Tarot for Cats in the clearance section of Borders a number of years ago for under $10. Otherwise I've gotten good prices at Overstock.com.
Woof

Ruby Red Slippers

So.............. Gerbear

Will you share the website? Often these places have great esoteric "stuff" too.

I've gotten great deals at Halp-Price bookstore here in town.
I can find decks there for 6.95 sometimes!

pentunen

I think the best bargain I've ever gotten was the Medicine Woman tarot. It's a used copy I found in one of the bargain bookstores that are scattered around London, and while the cards were out of order in the box, they're all there and in excellent condition. I managed to get it for £2. O.O

- pentu

Gerbear

Ruby Red Slippers said:
So.............. Gerbear
Will you share the website? Often these places have great esoteric "stuff" too.

Sure, the site is the Bodhitree Bookstore at Http://bodhitree.com/

baba-prague

Okay, everyone will hate me for this, but my best bargain is walking into a junk shop here in Prague (NOT an antique shop - a kind of secondhand place) and finding a Slovakian deck of Majors from the 1980s for about $6!

I've never seen another like it. It must be very rare. I also like it very much. It has a slightly hand-made feel, in as much as the gold inking on it is wearing off, as though it was applied by hand.

Anyway - these things only happen once (well, I can always hope it could happen again :) )

truthsayer

six years ago, i found a copy of tarot for cats at a barnes and noble for $6. now i've seen it as high as $50+ at ebay.

Diana

baba-prague: Would it be possible for you to scan a couple of those cards (including the Magician please!) so we can see them?

baba-prague

"Tarot for Cats"? Don't - please. You know, I walked past it at my local bookshop several times and thought "No, I don't want that". Then, a couple of years later (as in a fortnight ago) I end up buying it at Abebooks and having it shipped to Prague!
Kicking myself? You bet!

Anyway, yes, here is one of the Slovak cards. I have the ones already on our site to hand. I can add more - or scan in The Magician too, but maybe not just yet (we are a bit busy). Is it a bit off-thread too? We could always begin a thread if this is of real interest.

They are a little like lots of things - but not exactly like any deck I know. As I say, there is gold paint on them, but very worn now. They are largish.

Attachments

• slovakcards.jpg
    slovakcards.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 744

Logiatrix

My finds:
Jungian deck/book set---> $15
Healing Earth deck/book set---> $15
PoMo deck/book set---> $10

Then there's been free stuff :D :
At one of my most favorite haunts, the proprietor gave me the Mah-Jong Fortunetelling Cards for free, just because she couldn't find a listing for it in her records. She has since saved several of her display copies of tarots to give me, when she no longer sells them, or wants to display different ones.
Another store owner gave me a copy of Linda Goodman's Star Cards, just because I bring people to her store (she doesn't know that I cast spells on them }) ).
A cool thing happened to me at Bookstar, with the Minchiate book by Brian Williams. It got seperated from the cards, which were nowhere to be found. I asked the manager if he could sell it seperately, and he said that it did not list a price code by itself.
Then he said, "So, I guess it's yours. Take it. I'm not gonna sell it, so you might as well take it." (!!!)
:)