Golden Tarot

Aure

Well, yesterday I finally pre-ordered the deck from Bookplus... :)

I hope they will be able to get it!!! My husband wasn't that keen on me ordering another deck and one book as well but... I convinced him that there could be worse things to spend one's money...

The american Amazon still claims there's no such thing as Golden Tarot but the english Amazon has it!! I believe Bookplus probably gets their products via Amazon although they don't say who their supplier is. Hope it is the english one!!!

So, now I'm waiting for my deck eagerly! That and a book about scottish queens... :)

contrascarpe

Jeannette - you have a new customer! I just bought this deck from you on eBay. Amazon lost a sale, and Tarot Garden has a new loyal customer.

Thanks,
Dan

Jeannette

Heya, Dan!

Yeah, I saw the eBay and PayPal messages come in. Thanks so much! I already made today's shipping run, but I'll get your Golden Tarot out in the mail ASAP on Monday.

But for now, I'm heading back to snuggle up with my kids in the other room and finish watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure... It's been a most challenging day, shipping out all those Golden Tarots. ;)

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

retrokat

Hi Jeannette and anyone who's ordering signed decks,

Sorry I didn't get back to you before you sent out your emails re Golden Tarot!

I agree that the box isn't ideal to sign as it's so dark. I can sign it with a gold pen, but it might scratch off relatively easily. Also, it's going to be more expensive and awkward to send boxes to Australia & back, more likely to get damaged than cards as well.

I think that signing the front of the Author card is the best bet.

On a similar note, I'm signing individual cards to sell on eBay, for example, for people who have an unsigned deck and just want an inexpensive way to get it signed. People can bid on one of their favourite cards and have it as an "extra" with their deck.

Do you all think people would prefer the front of the card to be signed (ie, scrawled over the picture) or the back (relatively plain gold back, shows signature well, but then you couldn't use it in the deck & it would be more of a keepsake).

My partner collects signed "Magic The Gathering" cards and he tells me I have to sign over the picture, but I'm not so sure as it's a lot more readable on the gold patterned back.

All opinions welcomed!

Mimers

Jeannette said:
Heya, Dan!

Yeah, I saw the eBay and PayPal messages come in. Thanks so much! I already made today's shipping run, but I'll get your Golden Tarot out in the mail ASAP on Monday.

But for now, I'm heading back to snuggle up with my kids in the other room and finish watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure... It's been a most challenging day, shipping out all those Golden Tarots. ;)

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Jeannette,

Thanks for working so hard to get all the decks out so quickly. Really do appreciate it!

Mimi

Summerdream

retrokat said:
Hi Jeannette and anyone who's ordering signed decks,

Sorry I didn't get back to you before you sent out your emails re Golden Tarot!

I agree that the box isn't ideal to sign as it's so dark. I can sign it with a gold pen, but it might scratch off relatively easily. Also, it's going to be more expensive and awkward to send boxes to Australia & back, more likely to get damaged than cards as well.

I think that signing the front of the Author card is the best bet.

On a similar note, I'm signing individual cards to sell on eBay, for example, for people who have an unsigned deck and just want an inexpensive way to get it signed. People can bid on one of their favourite cards and have it as an "extra" with their deck.

Do you all think people would prefer the front of the card to be signed (ie, scrawled over the picture) or the back (relatively plain gold back, shows signature well, but then you couldn't use it in the deck & it would be more of a keepsake).

My partner collects signed "Magic The Gathering" cards and he tells me I have to sign over the picture, but I'm not so sure as it's a lot more readable on the gold patterned back.

All opinions welcomed!

Hello Retrokat!

I think having individual cards signed is an excellant idea whether you use the front or the back. Maybe when you auction certain cards on Ebay you can say you will sign them after the auction is won at the winner request (front or back). Do you think you will have a buy it now feature?

I was going to have my deck signed but when I heard that they were in stock at Tarot Garden......the anxious, excited part of me just could wait any longer. I HAD to have the deck now! LOL. So, I would probably try to get an autographed card unless the prices go up too high!

You could even set a buy it now price and list a quantity of cards you want to sign and then we could email you when we won which one we'd like. Just a suggestion.

Thank you Jeanette for sending my deck out yesterday. I appreciate it!

Momof3girls:)

lark

For anyone interested.....
I just recieved a confirmation from Amazon that my order for the Golden Tarot was shipped today.

Cerulean

I got my copy today

And later, after I finish taxes, this will be one of the first that I would give as gifts or recommend to those who want something that feels like Medieval and Renaissance art.

The Page of Cups had a message that I couldn't decipher, but when I paged through the sources, I found a lovely background reference to the verdigris background from the Schifanioa Palace, month of March. Ferarra and art of many other of the city-states of Italy and Europe has found it's way to an exquisite deck, spun magically to a woven tapestry of images.

I was curious about the swords, a very difficult suit for many designers. This was beautifully done and the Page of Swords is actually deliciously humerous. I like the Queen of Swords as well.

I had enjoyed Jane Lyle's Lovers Tarot for a long time, but some of the propotions from Oliver Bursten's collages didn't seem quite human to me. But these collages have a very proportional perspective. and the Rider Waite imagery and ordering is very well-done.

I know others will review this deck and discuss it in detail. I think for me it gathers a great deal of my European Renaissance studies in one place and will be a lovely inspiration for a long time.

I do not know why, but the age of old European paintings and their feudal costumes and attitudes seem to blend into a storylike pagentry that comes home now, from such a distant past. It could be the distance of age, but the familiarity of Western history that seems to merge it into an allegory that feels right to me.

I'll have to think how else to use this stunningly wonderful deck, somehow it fits with the Ferrarese poetry I like so well.

Thanks so much for keeping us updated and doing so much, just to not only keep us so HAPPY to hear, but DELIGHTED to receive this treasure.

Of course I am shouting, so I'll then whisper...congradulations and thank you very very much...

Mari Hoshizaki

Cerulean

Oh...one more kudos...

The use of the womanly being pulled by swans actually does have a wonderful allegorical reference to Venus being pulled by swans in the Ferarra Hall of Months in the following allegory of April:

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/c/cossa/schifano/2april/index.html

And Mars is actually kneeling before her.

The only other tarot that I know of that uses a similar detail is the Citta Ferrara by Amerigo Folchi

http://www.tarotpassages.com/images/FerraraChar.jpg

I'm delighted that there are elements of the medieval intermixed with stunning original variations...it really makes the deck allegories sing for me.

Cheers!

Mari Hoshizaki

retrokat

Hi Mari,

Thanks so much for your praise, I'm honoured that someone as scholarly as yourself is looking at the deck in so much detail (this is where I keep my fingers crossed that I've done my homework well enough!). I'm SO glad that USGS agreed to include the artwork references in the book, even though it almost doubled the size of the book.

I didn't know that there was another deck using the Ferrara Venus, but it doesn't surprise me, nothing's really original ;)

Hmmmm... Now that you mention it, I should have left Mars kneeling before her :)

One other little factor that I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the book, is that I made one of the swans drawing the chariot black, to represent Western Australia, my home state. The black swan is our state bird, and they're very majestic. This was one of the few obviously personal references that had nothing to do with tarot tradition.