Of cloudy [quartzes?] and chatty runes

eurydicesdreams

I just wanted to tell you guys about what happened to me this weekend :)

So there is this metaphysical shop in the area of my stepson's house and when I go to pick him up I always like to stop in and pick something up for myself :)

I've been drawn repeatedly to her lovely assortment of pendulums every time I go in there, and finally this past weekend I impulsively bought one (ostensibly) made of rose quartz. It was very pretty and I was very excited to have it and use it. So when we got home I decided to smudge it and cleanse it and get it ready to play with. Well, first, I looked at it and went, holy cow, this thing is cloudy! Obviously it needs lots of smudging.

So, I start smudging. And I smudge and I smudge and I smudge. People, I know what it feels like when something is cleansed, and my stepson is asking if I'm done yet because he's not crazy about sage, and it's just not getting cleaned out. And finally I got my chunk of tumbled rose quartz and smudged that a bit to compare the two - and it's so weird. The pendulum seemed greasy and it was turning more cloudy, not less, and it was getting really warm. I'm pretty sure that the pendulum was plastic or resin or something, but whatever it was, it was not rose quartz and I was not connecting with it.

The next day, we went to visit with my in-laws in the afternoon and my MIL gave me a rune book and I showed her the pendulum and told her all about it, and she kind of scolded me a bit for not holding the crystal before i bought it and talking with it a bit … I ended up taking the pendulum back, in any case, and decided to exchange it for a set of runes to go with my new rune book. The only kind of runes she had were engraved gemstones - one set each of bloodstone, hematite, and amethyst quartz. I'd been drawn before to the amethyst ones, but now I decided to take my MIL's advice and try talking with the crystals before i thought about buying them. So i reached in, grabbed a handful, and pulled them out.

And, my goodness, they CHATTERED. They were delighted to meet me, they all talked at once, and I couldn't understand a word of what they said - but I was sold. The whole ride home, I was giddy with excitement at my new purchase, at the prospect of beginning a whole new study of ancient wisdom, and at the fact that these crystals had TALKED to me!

Anyone else ever had a similar experience? Ever met particularly chatty (or silent!) stones? What was your first experience of connecting with stones like? What do you find is the talkiest kind of crystal?

Chronata

What a wonderful experience that must be! Thanks for sharing this, eurydicesdreams!

Card decks like to talk and talk and talk like crazy, but crystals do something else....
For me, crystals don't really chat, so much as exude emotions. A lot like pets!

And I love to get a new stone that greets me like an overly affectionate puppy, ready to play... or has an instant relaxing purr like a sleepy kitty!

And I know what it is to try and cleanse something that isn't natural...I too have fallen for what was supposed to be stone beads, and turned out to be resin! Sometimes it's very difficult to hear or feel a stone in the store, or fair where I am buying it(just due to all the noise)...and I have ended up with some things that felt in my hand like polished crystal, and were waxy plasticy crap.

I have had strange things happen with pendulums as well...

I remember when I went to buy my first one, and wanted something really pretty...and colorful. Ignoring all the plain quartz crystal ones, I tried out several agates and citrines and carnelian ones. Nothing really felt right.
Finally, the shop owner suggested the quartz, and the very first one I picked up started swinging like mad! I could feel the pull so strongly, and it really really wanted me to like it, so of course, I ended up buying it!

Marilyn20

I personally have never experienced chatty stones. I do a lot of work with crystals, but they come across to me as deep, ancient, and mostly silent. To me they are very stoic, like the Greeks, they do not get excited; they've been around too long and seen too much. But they are willing to share energy and wisdom if I spend enough time meditating to enter their mindset.

It's always interesting to me how people can have such completely different experiences from me, and yet of course theirs are just as valid :)

shelikes2read

I find it interesting when the two gemstone forums I frequent both have similar topics come up. In this case, it's gemstone communication.

I have been wearing a clear quartz sphere pendant since July 2011, when I first wire-wrapped the stone. The first time I wore it out into full sunlight, I got the impression that the sphere was pleased to be full of sunlight.

I then perceived a series of mental images showing that the stone had developed underground, was mined and put into a shipping container, was carved indoors, stored in a warehouse, boxed and shipped halfway around the world to me. All of these stages in its existence had left it with little or no opportunity to encounter natural light. Now it was out in the full summer sunlight, and very pleased.

It has since had LOTS of opportunities to fill with sunlight. :)

tarotbear

Sometimes you should not 'cleanse' crystals and stones unless you perceive they 'need to be cleansed.'

Somewhere packed away for the duration I have a clear crystal point about 4 inches long, and attached to it are tiny amethyst cabs in a cross shape on each side. It's below the R end of the central wand in the picture, resting on a paper that says 'Spirit Wand.'

It 'had' a wonderful, tingly kind of feel to it - the shopowner who sold it to me described it as 'children playing energy.' It was wonderful and not too expensive, so I bought it home and put it in salt water to cleanse it.... you should cleanse all crystals, right?

:bugeyed: BIG mistake :bugeyed:

So, now I have a nice quartz wand with cabs attached to it ....

Attachments

• crystal wands.jpg
    crystal wands.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 84

eurydicesdreams

Wow, so many interesting responses!! Thanks, guys! :)

Chronata, I work primarily with decks and frequently find them being brutally honest to the point of sarcasm, but I've never found them to be chatty - perhaps because I've only ever bought one deck in person? All my other decks I've bought online and so didn't get to interact with them before purchasing. I think also, my sensitivity to energy output is increasing and that could be why I've never encountered a stone "talking" to me like that, let alone a handful of them!

Marilyn20, I expected exactly what you're describing - hence my astonishment when I sensed that excited energy!

tarotbear, what a shame about your wand!! i thought there was something "off" about that pendulum - i was holding it in my hand in the car on the way home after i bought it, and my fiancé and i kept fighting. i've read that plastic is governed by neptune, who rules (obviously, among many many other, more positive things) illusions and confusion. maybe that had something to do with it!

EmpressArwen

I personally have never experienced chatty stones. I do a lot of work with crystals, but they come across to me as deep, ancient, and mostly silent. To me they are very stoic, like the Greeks, they do not get excited; they've been around too long and seen too much. But they are willing to share energy and wisdom if I spend enough time meditating to enter their mindset.

It's always interesting to me how people can have such completely different experiences from me, and yet of course theirs are just as valid :)

Very true. I also don't experience things being chatty BUT I feel emotions on them. I can literally feel, as if it's my own emotion, sadness, happiness, peace, excitement (and so on) from stones, trees, houses, anything really. I think it's all based on what gift we have. Some of us are auditory, visually or emotionally gifted. I'm an empath, so everything, from my Tarot card readings to my dealings at the grocery store, is based on emotion. I pick up emotions from everyone and everything.

It's so fascinating to me to hear about other people's gifts.

Marilyn20

Very true. I also don't experience things being chatty BUT I feel emotions on them. I can literally feel, as if it's my own emotion, sadness, happiness, peace, excitement (and so on) from stones, trees, houses, anything really. I think it's all based on what gift we have. Some of us are auditory, visually or emotionally gifted. I'm an empath, so everything, from my Tarot card readings to my dealings at the grocery store, is based on emotion. I pick up emotions from everyone and everything.

It's so fascinating to me to hear about other people's gifts.

That's a very interesting take on it; and explains why so many people experience things so differently. Thank you for this new insight!

eurydicesdreams

FWIW, i told my 10-year-old stepson (who is extremely sensitive to energies, announces randomly and very firmly that certain houses are haunted, and loves my tarot cards) about how my runes introduced themselves in the store... His response: "whoa, cool! Can i try holding them?" I gave him one to hold in the palm of his hand, and he was amazed at how it made his hand "buzzy" and then wanted to hold a bunch of them in his cupped hands like I did. "Whoaaaa, they're wiggling!"

:D witchy stepmama FTW