First Meeting with Crystal

DownwardSpiral

I still remember the "total awe" I was in when I went to my first gem show!!!! I was a bit older than eight, when I had been given that jar by my grandmother, and this was a few years later, my friend's father took us both. It was held by the local 4H club outdoors in a Sears parking lot.

I think I had 50 cents for the show (I wont tell you how long ago it was, but back then 50 cents was A LOT, LOL) and I remember how I just stood there with my mouth hanging open for a minute, stunned that there were SO MANY ROCKS!!! SO MANY COLORS!!! ALL SPARKLING IN THE SUN!!!! AND I GOT TO CHOOSE ONE!!!!! I think my "addiction" was sealed at that moment:)

I remember how carefully I went around and around (and around until I though my friend would never speak to me again:) trying to find "just" the right stone that I could buy for my life's savings of .50!!! It was a huge deal, and I think I picked up every rock at that show, vowing someday I would be able to buy them ALL!!

it's funny in hindsight to see how many I did end up with...but I still remember those 2 precious tumbles I bought at my first show...a gold-ish and a blue-ish agate...in fact, I still have them!!!

Thanks for this thread, it's been fun reading and it brought back some great memories:))

OMG!!!! : ) I'm getting flashes of those Mastercard commercials. Now THIS is truly priceless : )

delizt

Thanks for letting me share and "getting" it...it's funny that the same friend I went to the show with (whose father was the mineral collector) never got the least bit interested in crystals...she wasn't moved in the least!

twinage

Thanks for letting me share and "getting" it...it's funny that the same friend I went to the show with (whose father was the mineral collector) never got the least bit interested in crystals...she wasn't moved in the least!

Maybe it's because she haven't found "the one" yet? I have one friend who never interested in crystal but when I show her about Larimar, she getting pumped and search for it. Now you can say her as a Larimar maniac lol.

She never buy anything else except Larimar till today :D

stonesatiety

I know some avid mineral collectors who scoff at stones being anything but inert inanimate objects. That's fine. I don't believe much of anything anymore. Experience has outstripped theory and beliefs. Occasionally a collector has directed ridicule my way, usually politely. I may mention to a collector that they are living among amazing energetic healers, then let it go.

On the other hand, I'm so glad I offer when I feel the inner nudge. Once a person feels energy surge up an arm, stands bathed in energy from a stone far away, or just sees a stone sparkle at them, they know there is more to stones than commonly accepted. However, each person's inner journey is private and unique. My knowing tells me a lot about what happens each time, for the most part for my learning/remembering.

When I share a stone--or do healing work for that matter--I can feel what is going on in the person's body. If a person is not feeling anything, I may call attention to what I feel their body sharing. This could be seen as the power of suggestion, but I quickly ease off as the person stands transfixed in wonder at their newfound sensitivity. Not to mention their newfound friend!

shelikes2read

Quartz has always been my go-to stone, and I have had a fascination for it ever since I saw a picture of it in the second or third grade. We had a science book with pictures of different stones in it -- the chapter discussed things like Mohs hardness, though I can't remember if it discussed it by that name. And there was a color photograph of all the stones on the hardness chart. I couldn't get over the idea of a CLEAR stone. That just fascinated me to no end.

It still does, lol. I love me some Quartz, to this day. :)

twinage

I agree with you, Stonesatiety. Every people has different perspective and belief. But I hate when some person making ill about someone belief. Even if they disagree, they should respect each other belief.
Your way about offering crystal knowledge or doing healing work is admirable :)

I also learned Quartz for the first time in Chemistry classes but since there is no picture and no description, only Mohs scale, I easily forget about Quartz existence until I meet my tarot deck.

Quartz is really wonderful indeed! Different color with different variety resulting a different energy :D Quartz is a must have in my list too!

twinage

Everyone else, please share your story here. Don't be shy :)

Your story is a wonderful treasure and all people would like to read your experience, if you feel that yours isn't a beautiful stories, no worries since if that experience never happened, you would never learn about crystal till today (this is a fact lol)

stonesatiety

shelikes: Quartz is my go to stone as well. A friend, who sells quartz and many unusual minerals for metaphysical work, smiled when I told her years ago. "Quartz: a stone for all people," she said, smiling. She knows me. :) I gravitated more toward smoky and citrine as an adult, but a selection of clear diamantia laser wands helps out here as well. I too am astounded at a clear stone, and indeed any stone. I guess I'm easily amused.

As I think you mentioned on some thread, so many stones by other names are included quartz!

One time on a desert walk I noticed a small bluish opalized stone with tiny clear quartz clusters on it! I stood amazed, looking at the stone from all angles, listening to it. The stone wanted to come along, so it's part of the crew here. Quite a few other stones with crystals greeted me, but they were doing lots of good work in situ. I've had admonishing looks and comments from people about bringing stones home, but really. If I took half the stones I've met and talked with out and about, I would live on a newly formed hill!

stonesatiety

twinage: Very interesting with the quartz at school. I was a serious kid who wanted to be a scentist as long as I can remember. One day in fifth grade we were studying the periodic table of elements and the structure of atoms. I asked the teacher, "If we can't see atoms, how do we know this is true?" Looking back, I am grateful for her honesty. "We don't. This is a theory that fits most experimental observations, but not all. It's the best we have so far."

What? I thought. The adults are NOT going to answer all the questions I have about the deep, mysterious things I feel--they don't know!!! In hindsight, that's when I embarked on a search for those answers, which I inadvertantly encountered decades later. Amazing!

What if we had been able to pick stones from a box like little kids, open our senses, and share our experiences? After working with lots of kids and adults over the years, I know what happens. We connect with our inner being, by whatever name, and start playing. The sense of empowerment and adventure feels great and leads to futher exploration.