Studying traditional (RWS) and Thoth at the same time.

danieru_X

Hi guys,
Just curious as I'm sure a lot of you have been in a similar situation.

Is it difficult to study both versions of the tarot at the same time as I've always wanted to learn more about the thoth, but also don't want to stop learning about the traditional RWS decks...

Please let me know how you went about this.

Thanks,
Dan

nicky

When I was doing my Thoth adventure I put the RSW aside - it was hindering my ability to learn the Thoth as I kept trying to figure out what equals what - in my opinion, the two are different systems that in time you may or may not use in conjunction with each other, but not as you are learning - ymmv

3ill.yazi

I agree. I would find it just too confusing. But some people can learn two languages or instruments at the same time.

Abrac

If you want to try studying both at once I'd just do it. If it turns out to cause problems, just take one at a time. Nothing ventured nothing gained. But they're very different systems so I'd approach each one as unique and not get bogged down looking for correspondences between them.

seeker777

Hi guys,
Just curious as I'm sure a lot of you have been in a similar situation.

Is it difficult to study both versions of the tarot at the same time as I've always wanted to learn more about the thoth, but also don't want to stop learning about the traditional RWS decks...

Please let me know how you went about this.

Thanks,
Dan

We're in the same boat. This is all I'm about, split between the two. My heart is definitely with Thoth but I still feel drawn to give RWS equal studies, at least for now.

Zephyros

It ultimately doesn't matter. A big part of study of the Thoth, long before you get to any Thelemic stuff that makes the Thoth unique, is study of the basic GD structure which is shared by both. Once you get the basic Kabbalistic structure, which really isn't difficult, both decks will open up in ways unimaginable. Both decks, although they look very different, speak the same language, but merely use it to say different things. Learn the language, and you'll understand both variants.

But that depends on your definition of traditional meanings. For me, it means study of what makes the deck "tick." If by study you mean memorizing meanings, then, I dunno, I don't really have any advice.

Marcus R

I found that learning the RWS made it much easier to get the gist of the Thoth. Go for it.