The Hanged Man

coyoteblack

With the creativeness of the number 3 and the patience and intuitiveness of water we have the ability to wait and creatively see the world in a new way. But also we have the patience to wait.
We have a man willingly tied to the world tree this card and the Celtic trinity knot have things in common. The 4 elements and the world tree represent the connection to everything without movement. I know the Star card is one of the most spiritual cards in the deck but the Hanged man is a close second.

Good, Bad, Indifferent:
Good: New views, patience, surrender to a higher power. Letting go and going with the flow

Bad: Stagnation. The 4 in this card can be rigid, afraid to move forward lack of vision, world turned upside down

Indifferent: “Just wait and see” “stop and smell the roses” take time t o feel one with the universe

Disa

The creativeness of the number 3 I am guessing you derived from the number 12 on the card being reduced to 3. (Though the fact that his manhood is exposed does show me that he is able to create, too-and the number 3)

I see you were attempting to associate an element with this card, but I can't see any water in this card at all. The Blue in the background appears to be sky)Is that water to the right of the tree, there between the roots? Or is it the emotions of the cards connecting it to water?

His naked body tied to the tree shows ultimate willing sacrifice to me, though, if I turn him upside down and look into his eyes he doesn't look so willing anymore, but at the mercy of someone else...perhaps that is still surrender? Putting all his faith in the powers that be to release him from the ties that will surely lead to his ultimate physical demise?

coyoteblack

There is a hint of water way in the background of the crd between the reeds. Also I think the ble flowers are a hint of water. Surrender is spirtual but it is also pretty hard some times.

Dancing Bear

I Just Love all the interpretations here, and I will most definately take a few on board when reading with this deck, In which I am yet to! I have always wanted a deck I am inthusiastic to study, this is it..

When I first saw the Hanged man, and noticed the green leaves out of his mouth, I automatically thought of the Green man..

taken from Wikipedia

Wicca
In Wicca, the Green Man has often been used as a representation of the Horned God, a mix of ancient Pagan God's such as the Celtic Cernunnos and the Greek Pan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_man

Here is a brilliant site on the Green man,. as you will notice one of the images of the green man is portrayed the same as the Hanged man the leaves coming out of his mouth...

http://www.mythinglinks.org/ct~greenmen.html

Even though I see the Hanged man, trying to be like the green Man, it still also ties in with the meanings given by others in this thread,: to take control and start thinking on the more spiritual sense, like taking another look at things from a different view point, ( Spiritually)..and also the patience time factors, etc... So I do agree with the water and threes concept also .. but i have got to my conclusion through my thoughts of him reminding me of the Green Man..

I really would like to study this in more depth than i have.. to come up with a better more in depth interpretation of my own, ...it will come, In time ...as i have only had this deck two weeks ...

coyoteblack

For Dancing Bear

I like the greenman connection. I have a question though: Seeing as in Wicca the green man is connected to Cernunnos and the big guy is in the 15 position can there be a correlation between those 2 cards?

Dancing Bear

coyoteblack said:
I like the greenman connection. I have a question though: Seeing as in Wicca the green man is connected to Cernunnos and the big guy is in the 15 position can there be a correlation between those 2 cards?

Well Coyote black since studying only these two cards so far Cernunnos and the Hanged man.. I am doing a deep search, as I was brought up on druidism teachings, and founf it amusing that Wiccan actually link the both... As I see tham they are separate beings, Maybe the wiccan connect them because they are both Forest Men.. Dunno..

I actually read some of the book...and they mention the Greenman too...

QUote ; Leaves grow around his mouth, akin to images of the Green man, suggesting that he has taken an initiate vow of silence: Words cannot fully express the depths of his experience...

The only correlation I can see with these two Cernunnos and Greenman /Hangman...are the fact they both nudge the querent to look inside toawrds the spirtual /natural world.. Cernunnos urging the querent not to be consumed with posessions, obsession etc... become more humble and spiritual, and the same with Green man he represents the spirtual side of life also.teh need to go within.. and the more earthy connection also,.. So maybe this is where wiccan got the connection :confused:

I personally still see them both as separate entities......

i am still studying these two creatures and what and why they represent these cards,, the authors in the book also say they have drawn upon Wiccan and Druidism..
because I know nothing Of wiccan I need to filter the differences myself to fully understand these cards... I am finding very interesting indeed...

I will get back if i find anymore to add.. which is more than likely LOL!!

coyoteblack

I understand the Wicca druidism issue but from the Order of bards ovates and druids web site they say they both draw a lot of information from the golden dawn hence the relation.

I plan on trying to take a druid course from them, I like Wicca but it is not for me i have more of a love for shamanism and I am Irish American and we can be a shamanic druid so this seems a good option.

I understand Cernunnos a lot better then the greenman although i am looking into it.

But please continue any discussion on this subject as I am using the Druidcraft for my 78 weeks of study.

atypical

My first impression of this card (not knowing anything about sacrificial rituals) was that the Hanged Man was getting ready to harvest his wheat with sickle in hand, and he did not notice that somebody was sneaking up on him. Before he knew it, they had stolen his clothes and tied him to a tree in a rather uncomfortable position. He does not look like he was tied to the tree willingly; the look in his eyes is more "help me!" than calm surrender. The blackberries show that he is in a thorny situation.

earths

let go

I think is about letting go of something that ties him, he is capable to untie himself by letting go.

It came out on a situation where i was tied to a relationship that i loved but he treated me badly, it meant letting go. It was my fault to be there suffering and i just needed to evaluate and leave him.