Rite or Religion

Frater Benedict

In some forms of Wicca it can be seen as a religious implement and used in ritual, but it doesn't help form the basis of the belief system.

The bit about 'doesn't help form the basis of the belief system' is also true about Valentin Tomberg's Roman Catholic variety of Hermeticism and Papus' variety of Neo-Gnosticism. Both appreciated tarot, and used it to illustrate each of their philosophies respectively, but tarot readings didn't became a part of Mass, if you know my drift.

Teheuti

Where may I read a RELIABLE description of the Holy Order of MANS? The only thing I know about it is, that it, allegedly, was an Eastern Orthodox church not in communion with the Patriarch of Constantinople, but that is all I know.

http://www.wrs.vcu.edu/profiles/HolyOrderOfMans.htm

What's left of the original order (split from the group that became Eastern Orthodox) is at:
http://scienceofman.org/

I knew quite a few members back in the late 70s and early 80s, and respected those I knew very highly.

Frater Benedict

Thank you for the weblinks. The history of the order was much more complicated than what I expected. The 1960's sounds like another world (I wasn't born then).

ravenest

Everybody has some kind of philosophy that they are living by (whether it's worthy of the term or not). To have one is in fact a requirement.

Talking about Platonism, it is doubtful that Plato or Plotinus would have seen religion, science and philosophy as separate entities.

Yep. Here is an interesting question (no, not for you, you already know the answer) what was the difference between religion, science, philosophy and hermetics pre 1600 ?

I would say, much like the holy scriptures of many religions, the Tarot was (and continues to be) "channelled" from transcendental sources.

But I certainly agree with you that we don't need to make a religion of Tarot.

That would indeed be horrible! Think about it... A Tarot Pope dictating how to look at the cards! :bugeyed:

And a priestess making all sorts of claims about what is secretly hidden within ... a 22 stage clergy .... but it wouldnt mean dictatorship of interpretation, there could be a Reformation .... and heretics .... :)

As far as I know, "tetraphobia" is particularly widespread in Japan, which apparently has got to do with the words for "four" and "death" being phonetically identical in Japanese. In the West, while the number 4 is sometimes looked at with some suspicion, the most characteristically unlucky number of course is 13. This is our Death card, and surely many people are terrified of it. Note: 13 = 1 + 3 = 4.

I was about to give a different answer on this question (coming more from my own perspective, which is slightly different from yours ... and Plato's ;) ... but your one will do .... quiet nicely :) .

Alpha-Omega

Then, perhaps, BOTA qualify as a religion? It is still not tarot per se as a religion.

I am taking a religious cults class and BOTA is part of the textbook, it is a "cult" or New Religious Movements as they are called instead.