How do you feel about reading for others with the TdM?

DavidLee

Greetings TdM lovers (and others)!

I just recently had an interview of sorts for a local psychic shop - a brief interview and 3 readings back-to-back. I used my Marseilles as it is my favorite, I feel the strongest connection with it, and have read with it more than any other deck.

The problem is, I feel like many clients would prefer, well, more pretty pictures to look at. One of the employees that I read for asked about the other deck I had on the table, the Morgan-Greer (my favorite version of Waite-Smith) which I had ready just in case, but didn't use. It was pretty clear that she would have preferred a more traditional, visual deck.

On the other hand, reading with the TdM clearly sets me apart as a reader. Most people have never seen it used, nobody around really uses it. I definitely feel like it adds to the "mystique" of myself as a reader to work off of those "cryptic" pips with no scenes on them. And, as I said, I personally feel most comfortable with it, although I am perfectly comfortable with W-S decks like the Morgan-Greer, too.

So, how do you feel about reading for others with the Marseilles? Do you ever feel like you are "robbing" them of the visual feast of a typical deck? Because I often do.

dancing_moon

I feel the same way about TdM as you do, including the 'mystique' part. :D

Personally, I feel that as a reader I have a right to choose my instruments. As long as they work for me, I don't see why it should be a problem for my sitters if they don't have 'pretty pictures' to look at.

What's 'pretty' anyway? For me, TdM is a visual feast, so why would I rob my sitters of it? :D

queenxofxwands

I think i do my best readings with this deck, because i am not being distracted by pictures and i seem to tune into it , well, just better. It has a certain mystery about it to others, i think, as it is quite often seen in movies, especially that death card, which can look pretty scary :D and also as you mention, the lack of visual, which really leaves it completely up to the reader to interpret. I think it looks way more professional because of the lack of visuals.
Its the deck I use in face to face readings.

VioletEye

well, i guess it would depend on the querent. personally, i think a TdM would add to the mystical vibe; it's more old-school, more straight-up divinatory.

but i think you're right, some people are going to prefer the pictures, and you'll probably be able to tell right away who they are! i don't know, if you don't mind giving them a choice, that's what a lot of readers do. but again, a lot of readers just have ONE deck on the table, and i respect that, too.

i hope you get the gig!

DavidLee

It's funny because I did consider using the Morgan-Greer for the sitter who said she would have preferred it. I think it was nerves that made me go to my "comfort deck". If I end up working there I think I'll probably mix it up a bit.

Terrapinflyer

I tried to give myself the mindset of someone with little experience with any cards who seeks serious advice, or just sees a reader on a lark. I think I would be more impressed with the reader who worked with non-scenic pips. If I had never seen a Soprafino, it would give me more of the mystical vibe VioletEye mentions. It has an Old World feel to it, as the woodcut decks evoke medieval-renaissance Europe for me. Stepping out of the newcomer's mindset, I personally prefer the Marseille tradition decks' imagery most, so I would prefer that type of reading over one with Smith or Harris images (though I like those, too).

The quality of the reading would matter most to me as a sitter. If I sought help and found it I would be satisfied no matter what cards are used. Therefore, I say use the deck that will give you the best reading for your client.

Eremita90

It is not a big deal here where I live, as people usually associate the word "tarot" with the TdM or with other older decks with non illustrated pips, they just expect it (although they have become familiar with the Waite deck as well).

When I read for other people I can use both decks, but I've noticed that some pay attention more to the pictures in the minor arcana than to what you are saying.
For instance, I remember that I was reading with my RWS for a friend, once. I think it was the first reading ever for him, and the ten of swords turned up, so he started saying "OMG look at that! Am I going to die?". Of course at one point I couldn't take it anymore and yelled "YES *minute of silence* eventually, but that's not what it's about, calm down" >:-D

But generally speaking most people, in my experience, are willing to be read for with any kind of deck, as long as they feel you are comfortable with it.

greatdane

I am too new to TdM's to have it really concern me, but I can see why sitters would prefer the RWS if for no other reason than the illustrated pips.

Wendywu

I have found that some very visually sensitive sitters are hugely distracted by the images on scenic cards - and yes, they get something like 3 Swords, or 10 swords and I can guarantee that some people I read for would get very worried indeed, stare at that one card and not really hear a word I say. Why do that to them?

So - TdM to the rescue! With a TdM they listen to the message. I offer choices - they can pick one of several TdM/historical decks:).

DavidLee

Very good point about people being distracted by negative imagery. I think the neutrality of the cards is one of the reasons I love the Marseilles so much. Even The Devil and XIII are more ambiguous and open for interpretation, it seems to me.