What Oracle decks do you consider must haves?

dolphingirl

There are some lovely decks being names here :) Can you tell me alittle about the Flower Speaks decks and why you find it special? (I have seen the box for this deck but haven't seen the deck its self)

Thanks!

darwinia

dolphingirl said:
Can you tell me alittle about the Flower Speaks decks and why you find it special? (I have seen the box for this deck but haven't seen the deck its self)

Thanks!

You'll be sorry you asked. I managed to get a couple of people to buy this deck because of my relentless enthusiasm for it.

I traded it on a whim with someone on the Forum here and was just knocked out by the thing. The book is packed with information and she has some poetry for most of the cards, which I always like. I like her writing too and her insights into people and life. She does case studies of people she has helped with readings that are fascinating.

The Bach Flower Essences she references are only available from her. I did a great reading for myself and went to get the recommended essences and they don't exist in the regular roster of essences. Unfortunately, her kit for all the essences costs $199 US or something. So, that's one thing I discovered.

The reading I did was fabulous--spot on, really accurate particularly about human conditions and emotions and relating to other people, underlying problems or emotions and that sort of thing. I call decks like this "touchy-feely" decks--the Osho Zen tarot is like this for me, but sometimes that's what you need, right?

I like the art and colours, there are some male figures but it seems predominantly feminine to me, probably because of the flowers and plants. I have all these plants and flowers in my garden which was a kick. Things like Bleeding Heart, Trillium, Morning Glory, Cosmos and Tiger Lily etc.

I love the extra cards she has like Root and Stem. The artwork on those is a little more illustrative rather than painterly, and really good. She has a little system I like for reading. I tend to like decks with their own systems (like the Navigators Tarot of the Mystic Sea) and of course there is personal taste involved in liking decks, but if you like gardening and flowers I think you'd like this.

I did a great exercise where I randomly picked a word from the dictionary ("inshore"), picked a card from the deck (Bleeding Heart) and then did a spontaneous collage in watercolour and paper using the word and the meaning of the card together. I made the leaves from the Hanged Man in the Shakespearian Tarot and the gold back of the Shakespearian Tarot, and I also glued in the last Cosmos flowers from my garden and some of their foliage. Then I scanned it into Photoshop and wrote a poem and did it up below the graphic in a nice font. It took me 4 hours but it was a great way of bonding with a deck and I've been fond of it ever since.

There's a touchy-feely term for you : "bonding." ;-0))

There are some good scans of the cards on the Internet in the usual review spots. I love the Black Iris card. I just can't say enough about how pretty it is and yet with some depth of thought and writing in the book.

cheekyminx

To me its a matter of your own taste. There are a lot of Oracle & tarot decks out there to choose from. I'm a firm believer in "buying the deck that catches your eye".

My two oracle decks are ;
Magical Mermaids & Dolphins
Healing with the Fairies

WooMonkey

Faerie's Oracle (Froud)
Sacred Geometry Oracle (Hart)
Sacred Geometry Oracle (Greer)

I also like the Fairy Ring Oracle very much, but don't know if it's a "must" have for me. I sometimes find the photographic art jarring.

I had the Healing with the Fairies Oracle, but that one didn't work out for me.

:)

felicityk

In my collection, I have tried to stick to oracle decks that are based on a system with some historical basis (Runes, Ogham, I Ching, etc.) rather than created from scratch. I like Nigel Jackson's artwork, so I particularly like the Celtic Oracle (book by Nigel Pennick) and Witches' Runes (book by Silver Ravenwolf), both illustrated by him.

http://www.wicce.com/celtoraclepix.html
http://www.wicce.com/witchesrunespix.html

The I Ching Pack by Anthony Clark (book by Richard Gill) is another favorite of mine.

http://www.wicce.com/chingpix.html

Felicity

dolphingirl

If you like decks basses on Runes I would highly recommend the Rune Vision deck by the same artist that did the Tarot of the Old Path. The cards are very large (4X6 I think) and the artwork is just stunning on them! :)

Summerdream

There are soo many of my oracles that I love that I don't think I could only pick a few!

Momof3girls:)

Ruby7

Healing with the Angels is a wonderful deck, and this from the person who could not work with the Healing with the Fairies deck, sold it to someone else and swore she would never get another Doreen Virtue deck again.!

I also have the Archangel oracle cards, but like Healing with the Angels the best,

Ruby7

Jewel

Hands down the Faeries Oracle by Brian Froud. The other I consider a must have is the Green Man.

darwinia

felicityk said:
The I Ching Pack by Anthony Clark (book by Richard Gill) is another favorite of mine.
http://www.wicce.com/chingpix.html

I meant to say that this deck is unfortunately OOP, but there are several places in the US you can still buy the set. I couldn't hunt it up in Canada, but can't buy stuff online, and I wanted to buy it to round out my I Ching cards (I Ching of Love and the Tao Oracle), and to work with it and a book of Chinese poetry I have on order. I am planning to use that as impetus for ink and watercolour paintings and studies and bought a copy of the Feng Shui deck from someone for similar impetus.

It's one of the loveliest I Ching decks and you are lucky to work with it Felicity.