Majors only

willowfox

I think that using majors only is missing out on a huge chuck of potential information. They maybe fun to look at but I think you certainly do need the full deck to do a proper reading whether it be a single card draw or a multi-card draw. Limiting yourself to majors is too restrictive.

Skysteel

willowfox said:
I think that using majors only is missing out on a huge chuck of potential information. They maybe fun to look at but I think you certainly do need the full deck to do a proper reading whether it be a single card draw or a multi-card draw. Limiting yourself to majors is too restrictive.

I feel the division of our experiences of the mundane into four domains, as per the Minors, is too restrictive.

Sheri

willowfox said:

Majors-only decks of 22 cards ARE full decks.

jmd

I disagree: the Atouts are part of tarot, which comprises of 78 cards precisely.

Sheri

jmd said:
I disagree: the Atouts are part of tarot, which comprises of 78 cards precisely.

My comment is in response to the previous comment. I believe that when an artist or deck creator makes a 22 card deck, it is complete - as they have to say in 22 cards what is said in 78 cards in other decks. They are more than just 'fun to look at.'

Rather than getting into a discussion on what the definition of what constitutes a complete deck, what say you on the topic of the thread?

willowfox

valeria said:

The majors only maybe a full deck but they are not a full tarot deck. You need the full 78 card deck for the full life experience.

jmd

valeria said:
My comment is in response to the previous comment. [...]
Ibid.
valeria said:
Rather than getting into a discussion on what the definition of what constitutes a complete deck, what say you on the topic of the thread?
I have earlier...

Papageno

willowfox said:
You need the full 78 card deck for the full life experience.

that's an interesting theory but respectfully, I'm not certain I agree......

It would be very revealing if people did a 22 vs 78 card study, just like the one deck wonder exercise and see what the results would be......which they actually prefer.
It's a very personal thing, the way in which an individual assimilates information, interprets it and then determines a course of action.

it would not be unusual for one person to read a Majors only and another a 78 card deck and have both readers drawing the same conclusion.

Sheri

willowfox said:
The majors only maybe a full deck but they are not a full tarot deck. You need the full 78 card deck for the full life experience.

I disagree with this.

Some people might. Others do not. The readings come from the reader no matter what tool the reader chooses to use. Everyone should use what they feel comfortable with, but regardless of what they use, that doesn't make a reading any less viable.

kwaw

valeria said:

No it is a reduced deck, if it were a 'full' deck the qualifying term 'only' would be redundant.

Decks are often reduced for purposes of both gaming or divination. Is an ordinary deck of playing cards with numbers 2-6 taken out a full deck? I would say no, but such a reduced or piquet deck is made for purpose of both gaming and divination; we have also the tarochinno or little tarot with some cards from the pips removed to give a deck of 62 cards.

It is a question of semantics I suppose. Is a tarochinno a small or reduced tarot, or a complete tarocchino? Even with the clear jump in sequence indicative of cards being 'missing'? Does not the title of majors only distinguish it as a part only, and thus incomplete, aspect of a complete deck?

Though partial may be considered 'complete' in as much as it is suffiicient for the purpose of the game or a divinatory method.

Kwaw