Atu XIII-Death, Happy New Year :)

Owl Tarot

And welcome folks, welcome to my New Year thread! I am the Owl Tarot for yet another Thoth Trump! As most of you who actually read this thread know by now, I do one thread per week regarding the Trump I am currently working at, and this week has The Death card, an actually great card to talk about along with the change of the year. Number 13 is really relevant with the year's change as well as the Eternity of Time, since 13 are the Lunar circles through the Year. Ancient calendars were created using that method. Without further ado, let's get to it! I will as usually post some of the things I could say about this card as of today, and I hope to hear some of your own as well!

XIII- Death

Zodiacal Trump of Scorpio (Fixed Water Sign)

Connects Netzach to Tiphareth, Path 24, Hebrew Letter: Nun (a fish)

A good start, the symbol of the fish is. It is both the translation of the letter Nun, and is also depicted next to the Snake in the middle. Fish breed really a lot, and when someone considers one of the Myths regarding Osiris, the one in which he was drown in the waters of Ammenti. When Osiris was torn into pieces, his Phallus (as creative energy) was swallowed by a fish. Crowley also suggests to us fish are also symbols of the womb, so it is a symbol of both male and female energy combined. Under this prism, Death is a card which has some of the qualities of The Fool. Fish in Greek is Ixthys, and it is also a title of Christ, Ihsous Xristos Theou Yios Swthr. It is thus a symbol of resurrection and regeneration.

Our main figure is Osiris himself, fulfilling the Alchemical function of Putrefaction, which dissolves. He is a skeleton without flesh, because he has undergone the process himself. In fact, he is a black skeleton with a scythe. Black is the colour of Binah in Briah, and here we have Death. A title of Binah herself is the 50 Gates of Death, and essentially she is the first Sephira of Form and Form eventually breaks up, another function of Death.

This card is the Zodiacal Trump of Scorpio. Scorpio is, according to Crowley, the second most powerful Zodiacal sign and is also a sign connected with the idea of sexuality, which is an act of creativity. Scorpio has three aspects, all of which are present and accounted for here. The lowest one is Scorpion, who was considered in the old days to commit suicide when desperate. Thus, it subjected itself to change when the outside conditions demanded it. It is positioned between Alpha and Omega, so it has a very limited understanding of Death. This is considered to be the lowest aspect of Putrefaction.

Then we have the aspect of the fish and the snake. We talked about the fish previously, which also, according to Crowley, resumes the whole Secret Doctrine, and the snake which is a symbol of identical essence, the lord of Life and Death, "whose method of progression suggests the rhythmical undulation of those twin phases of life which we call respectively life and death" (Book of Thoth). Notice that the serpent of Eden has a numerical value of 358, equal to Messiah, Christ. This led scholars to identify the Serpent of Eden with Christ.

Last but not least we have the Eagle, a symbol of exaltation above solid matter by means of killing one's ego to connect with the HGA lying in Tiphareth. Eagle is considered to be a symbol of the Spirit by some civilizations, which of course represents the reincarnation and the eternity of Spirit. Putrefaction in it's highest aspect.

But let's get back to our skeleton. He is underwater (since we have da bubbles) and he is dancing the dance of Death. His legs form the Hebrew letter Tau, which connects with the four elements which he has conquered. He is a representative of the influence of Spirit, he chose to follow it and so he is dancing with joy because of the dissolution he is causing. He is connected to Tiphareth, thus representing the Fifth Power of the Sphinx, To Go. He is exercising his True Will and with his Scythe he spawns life as seen in the bubbles which connect to his phallus.

Regarding the Sephira he connects, we have Tiphareth and Netzach. Those Sephira are a really happy couple together me thinks, and Netzach is usually assosiated with desires. So, through the process of Death as in Atu XIII, is the end of one's ego to enjoy the transformation through his HGA. He "kills" himself in order to transform and travel with his HGA. Netzach is also associated with Venus and Beauty, and Tiphareth is the Sphere of one's Higher Self. Tiphareth means Beauty. It is, in a sense, the realization of the Beauty the Harmony of this world as a whole possesses, which results in transformation through the dissolution of one's unnecessary traits. A really beautiful pair of Sephira, that is. Netzach is also the Sephira in which the white light of Tiphareth breaks to colors and force begins to take form, thus we also have the "bubbles" of form being moved.

Sexually speaking, we have Osiris's long penis, which also has huge balls on it (that's what she said!). Osiris's phallus is bigger than himself (!), so he must be a real womanizer. Also his balls aren't too far behind, so one might get the image of his huge... creativity. Also notice that ejaculation was considered to be a "little death"during the Middle Ages and in Victorian England (if I remember correctly), so I guess you can make some assumptions.

That's some of the things I could say about this card as of the moment I write this post about this card, I hope you liked it and that it helps you, and I also hope to hear some of your thoughts about this card!

Again, have a Happy New Year, and I wish all of you da best (as you consider them)!

smw

Happy New Year ! Owl Tarot

Thanks for sharing your weekly thoughts on the cards :)

Zephyros

The "little death" angle always fascinated me and it makes a lot of sense. Death is the culmination of the sexual act, its last stage, but it is hinted at from the beginning. At the moment of orgasm one is at complete union with the Beloved, there are no separations (whether the sexual act is purely "solar" or dual). This whole area of the Tree is filled with sexual connotations, being close to the climax of the alchemical marriage. We have the Hanged Man as the innocent child about to be sacrificed, then the moment of dissolution in Death, which results in the merging in Art, then the molding (perhaps even forceful thrusting!) of Ain and finally the actual explosion itself at Pe.

Dirty sheets and the after-Pe cigarette are unfortunately not dealt with on the Tree of Life. If anyone knows a Kabbalistic method of saving on laundry bills, I would be glad to hear it! Some experiences are unfortunately not "pure joy."

Owl Tarot

The "little death" angle always fascinated me and it makes a lot of sense. Death is the culmination of the sexual act, its last stage, but it is hinted at from the beginning. At the moment of orgasm one is at complete union with the Beloved, there are no separations (whether the sexual act is purely "solar" or dual). This whole area of the Tree is filled with sexual connotations, being close to the climax of the alchemical marriage. We have the Hanged Man as the innocent child about to be sacrificed, then the moment of dissolution in Death, which results in the merging in Art, then the molding (perhaps even forceful thrusting!) of Ain and finally the actual explosion itself at Pe.

Dirty sheets and the after-Pe cigarette are unfortunately not dealt with on the Tree of Life. If anyone knows a Kabbalistic method of saving on laundry bills, I would be glad to hear it! Some experiences are unfortunately not "pure joy."

Really nice, I find it to be. See, Death connects a balanced Sephira to a right hand Pillar Sephira (Just like Kether and Chokmah) which is highly associated with the creative imagination. In a sense, one may see this card as The Fool on a lower arch, which is also suggested because those Paths are parallel to one another and Crowley states:

Book of Thoth said:
It is even a compendium of universal energy in its most secret form.

He did it for a really good reason, I believe considering how creative this card appears to be. Also, Alchemically speaking Putrefaction is "the rotting of a substance, often under a prolonged gentle moist heat. Usually the matter becomes black."
Osiris is black, indicating undergoing the process himself. Putrefaction may be seen as the last step before da bubbles manifest demselves through the next Trump in order, Art.

It is also interesting to meditate upon the card while imagining Netzach being at the bottom right hand corner represented by the scorpion, the part of oneself that has a very finite understanding of existence and Tiphareth being at the left hand top corner represented by the Eagle, behind of whom the white light of the Sun shines strongly.

Daniel Gunther said:
In the unique symbolism of the Thoth Tarot deck, on Atu XIII, Death, there is a distinct clue that leads us to the central meaning of the card. The Grim Reaper is depicted wearing the White Egyptian Crown of Osiris. In the Old Aeon, Osiris was the corn or wheat mowed down by the sweeping scythe of Death. In the New Aeon it is Osiris himself who wields the blade. The enormity of this veild revelation by The Master Therion cannot be underestimated. In the New Aeon, Asar (man) is no longer the victim of Death, but he is the bringer of Death himself, and more importantly, he is the bringer of Death to himself.

"In the New Aeon, Death is become Life Triumphant, not through Resurrection, but in its own Essence...
The Thelemite does not "suffer death". He is eternal and perceives Himself the Universe, by virtue of the categories of Life and Death, which are not real but subjective forms of his artistic presentation."

The Thelemite is not conquered by Death; he or she experiences the category of perception we signify by the symbols of Death. We are the Self-Slain, not the victims of catatrophic death as Asar, or Isa the sufferer. We have dismembered ourselves deliberately and intelligently in pursuit of Truth. We do not require Resurrection for we are the Resurrection, the Truth and the Life

I think this is food for thought, considering Osiris is dancing joyfully, and the forces he forms and creates are all dancing with him, since life and death are two sides of the snake of Life. Forces free of form re-enter form and prepare to be given life again since opposites dissolve through the energy of God the Son, Tiphareth. The Book of Thoth sums it up neatly:

Book of Thoth said:
The Universe is Change; every Change is the
effect of an Act of Love; all Acts of Love
contain Pure Joy. Die daily. Death is the apex of one curve of the snake Life:
behold all Opposites as necessary complements,
and rejoice.

Aeon418

Take Heed unto the Going! :)
Aleister Crowley said:
Ϝπ
DE CLAVIBUS MORTIS ET DIABOLI ARCANIS TAROT FRATERNITATIS R∴C∴

It shall profit thee much, o my Son, or I err, that I instruct thee in the Mysteries of the Paths of Nun and of Ayin, that in our rota are figured in the Atu called Death, and that called the Devil. Of these Nun joineth the Sun with Venus, and is referred to Scorpio in the Zodiac. This Path is perilous, for it seeketh the Level, and may abase thee, except thou take Heed unto the Going. Of its three Modes, the Scorpio destroyeth himself, as if it were a Type of animal Pleasure. Next, the Serpent is proper to Works of Change, or Magick; yet is he poisonous also unless thou hast Wit to enchant him. Lastly the Eagle is subtlest in this Sort, so that this Path is proper to a Transcendental Labour. Yet all these are in the Way of Death, so that thy Wand is dissolved and corroded in the Waters of the Cup, and must be renewed by Virtue of thy Nature in its Course. For Fire is extinguished by Water; but upon Earth it burneth freely, and is inflamed by the Wind. Understand also that which is written concerning the Vesica, that it is the Mother, giving Ease, Sleep, and Death, which Consolations are eschewed by the True Man or Hero.

Owl Tarot

Take Heed unto the Going! :)

Going is particulary important in this Trump since it connects with the Sephira communicating the Way to Go. It is interesting that this Trump combines the fiery Sephira Netzach (Scorpio is ruled by Mars) to Tiphareth, the balancer so it is pretty balanced itself and has aspects of multiple elements! I actually think of it as The Fool in a lower scale, after meditating about this part:

This card must then be considered as of greater importance and catholicity than would be expected from the plain Zodiacal attribution. It is even a compendium of universal energy in its most secret form.

Aeon418

Going is particulary important in this Trump since it connects with the Sephira communicating the Way to Go.
And that's also the reason why you can't get to Tiphareth via Nun. Netzach-Desire is not the Key that opens the Palace. The same applies to Hod-Intellect via the Path of Ayin. But both are needed to pull back the bow string of Qesheth,QShTh, in order to let the Arrow fly from the receptive sphere of Yesod that finally reflects the Way.

The fearful perception of 'catastrophe' implied by Death puts out your Fire and releases the tension on the bow string. 'Keep Going!'
While the ego's continual 'obsession and addiction' with the appearance of good and evil on the Path of Ayin will lead one to Sin, which is to 'miss the mark' in the archery sense of the word.

It is interesting that this Trump combines the fiery Sephira Netzach (Scorpio is ruled by Mars) to Tiphareth, the balancer so it is pretty balanced itself and has aspects of multiple elements!
Also of interest is how three out of of the four 7's in the minor arcana display a distinct lack of Fire. The worst aspects of Venus dominate and extinguish the flame.

Owl Tarot

And that's also the reason why you can't get to Tiphareth via Nun. Netzach-Desire is not the Key that opens the Palace. The same applies to Hod-Intellect via the Path of Ayin. But both are needed to pull back the bow string of Qesheth,QShTh, in order to let the Arrow fly from the receptive sphere of Yesod that finally reflects the Way.

The fearful perception of 'catastrophe' implied by Death puts out your Fire and releases the tension on the bow string. 'Keep Going!'
While the ego's continual 'obsession and addiction' with the appearance of good and evil on the Path of Ayin will lead one to Sin, which is to 'miss the mark' in the archery sense of the word.

Feeling intuitive by what you said, I could say that, in a way, The Devil aids one to "break" his vague perspective and appreciate the wholeness of Being and not what the "uninitiated" Mind dictates.

Book of Thoth said:
The formula of this card is then the complete appreciation of all existing things. He rejoices in the rugged and the barren no less than in the smooth and the fertile. All things equally exalt him. He represents the finding of ecstasy in every phenomenon, however naturally repugnant; he transcends all limitations; he is Pan; he is All.

And at the same time, Death aids one to "kill" his unnecessary desires and desire only to become one with Hoor, his/her HGA. Then the arrow is ready to be fired towards Tiphareth, the rainbow colors formed by Netzach and Hod penetrated by the light of The Son.

Also of interest is how three out of of the four 7's in the minor arcana display a distinct lack of Fire. The worst aspects of Venus dominate and extinguish the flame.

I think you have felt beauty in your life, and actually many may have felt this way about something. I think of it as the Beauty of Aphrodite. To appreciate such Beauty requires Willpower (Fire). It is like a vase that is so Beautiful to someone that he can't even consider to touch it. When that sense of Holy (in a Beautiful way) is shattered and the planes begin to become denser, that unique trait is "suffocated" and it's beauty "dies". Thus, when we are at the element of Fire/Spirit Netzach is beautiful. When we descend the planes her Beauty is "corrupted" in a sense, and she "suffocates".

A historical example are the Priestesses of Aphrodite. Men were not allowed to touch them as they offered their Divination, the fertilation of the Male energy with the Female energy in a higher level. Once that spiritual aspect was not longer appreciated and was not applied, we get to prostitution (I am not saying it is "bad" in all cases, I am just saying that it's starting point was pretty different). Dion Fortune has nice points about the issue in her book "Mystical Kabbalah" as well.

Aeon418

Feeling intuitive by what you said, I could say that, in a way, The Devil aids one to "break" his vague perspective and appreciate the wholeness of Being and not what the "uninitiated" Mind dictates.

And at the same time, Death aids one to "kill" his unnecessary desires and desire only to become one with Hoor, his/her HGA. Then the arrow is ready to be fired towards Tiphareth, the rainbow colors formed by Netzach and Hod penetrated by the light of The Son.
And yet the full crossing and consolidation of these two Paths is only attained after one is Adeptus Minor Within. It requires that Hanged Man style reversal characteristic of the Adept to see these Paths in their proper perspective. Before that point the Paths of Nun, Ayin, and Samekh perform the function of the Dweller on the Threshold to ward off the profane.
Liber LXV. IV:33-35 said:
I trembled at Thy coming, O my God, for Thy messenger was more terrible than the Death-star.
On the threshold stood the fulminant figure of Evil, the Horror of emptiness, with his ghastly eyes like poisonous wells. He stood, and the chamber was corrupt; the air stank. He was an old and gnarled fish more hideous than the shells of Abaddon.
He enveloped me with his demon tentacles; yea, the eight fears took hold upon me.

Aeon418

Thus, when we are at the element of Fire/Spirit Netzach is beautiful. When we descend the planes her Beauty is "corrupted" in a sense, and she "suffocates".
I also like to see the 7's as a chance for Victory-Netzach. These cards present a challenge. How can I kindle that Fire sufficiently to make it happen?

7 of Wands - Instruction from the the Goddess Nike herself. "Just do it!" :thumbsup:
7 of Cups - Too much Water.(Narcissism) Dispel the illusions. Clear the fog. Turn around.
7 of Swords - Get a grip. Focus. Concentrate. Don't spread yourself too thin.
7 of Disks - Come on, make an effort you lazy bas****! :laugh:

And the connecting link? Take Heed unto the Going!