Thoth style or Thoth cards?

Karrma

I found a solstice present for me when hunting for others....DuQuette's book Understanding AC's Thoth Tarot. Jut started reading it tonight, and really enjoying it. I have a Thoth Style deck the Rosetta Tarot to help, but was wondering how similar this is to the actual Thoth Deck, and what versions are out there? Do you experts think I need to invest in a new deck, an actual Thoth?

Abrac

They're radically different. If you're gonna study DuQuette's book it probably would be a good idea to get an actual Thoth deck at some point.

Richard

Get the Thoth. It's worth the investment, and it's not expensive anyhow.

Zephyros

On one hand, I would say to get the Thoth in any case, as LRichard said it isn't expensive and a good investment. On the other, based on the artist's second deck, the Tabula Mundi, I would say that there is quite a bit of Thoth in there, enough to give you a general idea. Keep reading, order a Thoth, but until it gets there look at the Rosetta. :)

Grigori

The Rosetta is very similar to the Thoth, the minors in particular are quite identical in most cases (perhaps the Disks suit least of all, but still very recognisable). I think DuQuette's book is an excellent tool to assist with understanding the Rosetta, though it's own Rosetta companion book is really good and I recommend it highly also. I think you'd benefit from owning a copy of the Thoth also, but any Thoth book will have value with the Rosetta. Duquette's is probably the most valuable for that deck as it is the least focussed on the specifics and is quite big picture oriented. Snuffin's for example is really useful, but would be more limitedly useful with Rosetta.

WolfyJames

There is also the Liber T Tarot of Stars Eternal that is very much like the Thoth.

Owl Tarot

My opinion is to buy the Thoth deck itself. If you want a Thoth spin-off, which has Thoth as a basis and it's creator's own ideas about it inside, then you could use a Thoth "clone". But, if you want to go with DuQuette's book and the very specific ideas Crowley incorporates in the particular deck, I would advise you to buy the Thoth deck with the Book of Thoth itself and study both together.