Reading illustrated playing cards?

fall_guy

Hello all.

Can anyone suggest a playing card deck that has suggestive illustrations on each card?
I know there's loads of 'themed' decks available, but wondered if anyone has come across one where the imagery sparks your intuition?

I'm thinking of creating my own oracle deck based on playing card suits (sort of a merger between a normal deck and the minor arcana). I was wondering if anything similar has been done.

Thanks.

baba-prague

fall_guy said:
Hello all.

Can anyone suggest a playing card deck that has suggestive illustrations on each card?
I know there's loads of 'themed' decks available, but wondered if anyone has come across one where the imagery sparks your intuition?

I'm thinking of creating my own oracle deck based on playing card suits (sort of a merger between a normal deck and the minor arcana). I was wondering if anything similar has been done.

Thanks.

Something similar has been done here with Czech Marias cards - but I can't track down the deck (I've seen a copy someone had though). Basically they took the cards - a playing card deck of 32 cards, used in this region - and added appropriate images to help the use of the deck for divination. Very interesting indeed, I really liked the idea. I know it's probably more the poker-card pack you are thinking of, but I can't think of any (apart from all those early-mid 20th century oracles, but they tend to add text, not pictures, to the cards). I'm sure it's been done though.

fall_guy

baba-prague said:
Something similar has been done here with Czech Marias cards - but I can't track down the deck (I've seen a copy someone had though). Basically they took the cards - a playing card deck of 32 cards, used in this region - and added appropriate images to help the use of the deck for divination. Very interesting indeed, I really liked the idea. I know it's probably more the poker-card pack you are thinking of, but I can't think of any (apart from all those early-mid 20th century oracles, but they tend to add text, not pictures, to the cards). I'm sure it's been done though.
Sounds intriguing! I'll have to do some googling.

I wonder though if anyone has come across a 'normal' poker deck (with illustrations) that seems to click with your intuition...?

Lee

Aeclectic member The 78th Fool has created two different illustrated playing card decks. You can see them here:

http://www.butlerart.co.uk/tarot/Home.htm

Click on the "Wicked Cards" and "Alchemical Cards" buttons.

-- Lee

baba-prague

Lee said:
Aeclectic member The 78th Fool has created two different illustrated playing card decks. You can see them here:

-- Lee

Ach! Of course. Thanks Lee, I should have remembered those.
By the way, the chances of finding the Czech (illustrated) cards by Googling is sadly remote, though I really hope you can track them down online - we can't even find them here in Prague! But when we do, I'll scan a few and post them

fall_guy

Lee said:

-- Lee
Thanks Lee. Although they're not quite to my taste, they've furthered my interest in creating my own deck.
Cartomancy meanings seem to differ from tarot, and since there's no pattern to follow (ala RWS, Thoth, Marseilles), I guess there's a lot of potential for creating your own images based on the meanings.

The quantum tarot looks very interesting though!

catlin

LoScarabeo has some wonderful playing cards of various themes on their site: I have the Iphygenia and the Argonauts, the Mermaid playing cards and the Hodges Astrological cards. All work great for readings.

Another suggestion might be the Magic cards of the Russian Sybil, also by LS.

fall_guy

Thanks for the links Catlin.

The LoScarabeo decks look great! Can definitely see some potential reading decks there.
The Czech Marias look fascinating too. I like the small scenes on the 'pip' cards - reminds me of the Old English tarot.

WolfyJames