Now as the ladder of life
'As been strung
You may think a sweep's
On the bottommost rung

Though I spends me time
In the ashes and soot
In this 'ole wide world
There's no 'appier bloke

I had to start with this, as this was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this card. :) I really did think of Mary Poppins and Dick Van Dyke - including the lousy English accent he adopted.

Here we are on a roof, and we have a young chimney sweep. It is night time, some chimneys are billowing dark smoke. Are they in need of cleaning, or is this just indicative of how Victorian London used to be? The chimney he is standing beside is not smoking. Certainly safe (at the moment) for him to do his work. Instead of a knapsack on a pole, he has two chimney brushes over one shoulder, the other hand resting on his hips. The thing that looked a little out of place were his shoes. They are incredibly clean with a shiney buckle on each.

Besides him we have one of the most loyal of dog breeds - West Highland Terrier. It is sitting with tail held high, looking at its master. He will have a wonderful and different view of the town around him. He will see things we miss. And his route of travel will be one only he is able to take. His knowledge of the rooftops really do show us he lives in a somewhat different world. He has to be sure footed. He knows he takes risks on a daily basis. Yet he does so with a smile and a whistle. What is life without a bit of risk taking on occasion?

I have to say I really do like the energy and vibe of this Fool. The whole image does fit with the traditional RWS imagery, but by having someone who is very real, and someone we know existed during the Victorian era gives us more context in which to understand him, his journey and what he represents.

Green Horse

This is what I thought of too, and I equate this page now with Bert and his characteristics. Therefore, this fool to me is not so foolish, but has a bit of knowing about him. Enough wit and instinct to keep him out of trouble and in fabulous adventures.

Topaz1911

THE fool

The dog, it's too cute, just watching,walting ,not urging the FOOL onward. Perhaps thats the purpose of this dog? Also à little bit foolish? I just get the feeling of too much walting,inertia, but it can be that I am wrong? À little bit static. :)