Book of the Law Study Group 1.43

Aeon418

Does the word "other" imply other people or parts of the self?

If all parts of the self are pulling in one direction, under Will, they will not be subject to the usual forces of self-doubt and confusion that cause people to second-guess their every move. A clear sign that one is not being guided by the Will, but instead by the contradictions of the mind.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
Does the word "other" imply other people or parts of the self?

This line is one of the things that I think is hardest to conceptualize in Thelema. The idea that resistence is not something you need to battle through, but rather a sign that you (or a part of you, or a part of someone else) is battling in the wrong direction. It also seems to stray close to "life is meant to be easy" which is the opposite of the more commonly accepted belief.

I think its a lot easier to understand as parts of the self. When your Will is clear to you, there is a lot less confusion and resistance internally. But applying that to the outside world is a lot harder to grasp for me.

Maybe I am on the right track, and that idiot is just in my way because they are a fool! :D (heck, maybe even they are supposed to be a fool and that is just their Will }) )

ravenest

similia said:
(heck, maybe even they are supposed to be a fool and that is just their Will }) )
Maybe? Who are we to declare what ones will is? Could be a fool or a murderer ( oh-o just opened a can of worms!).

WE can explore trends and indications to get an idea of what ones will might be but we cant declare to them what it is or should be. In the OTO it is stated very clearly - right at the begining - that the group or organisation (locally or internationally) has no care whatever in the manifestation or nature of a persons will, they are offering assistance in the method of finding it.

A far cry from the vocational guidence that was put on me as a schoolboy ... I wanted to do interior design but was discouraged and told that the tests showed I'd make a good shop-assistant :rolleyes:

Always Wondering

Well, I have been wondering a lot about this, having made some changes in my occupation and find myself in transition. I guess there is as many definitions of will as there are wills. I can't help but think will is more connected to the great work, in which case, of course Similia is on the right track.:thumbsup:
However, I am sure there are great benefits to what some call "right work", in my case I felt being an at home mom was right as I found it very rewarding and meaningful. To the point so, now that I am displaced, because my kids are grown up, I find nothing near as challenging or important, occupation wise. And I am not sure that occupation and will may ever line up for me again.
So I am seeing them as unrelated. Which may be some of my struggle. So I need clarification. Are we talking will here, or occupation? Or both?

AW

ravenest

The will to be a mother is one of the greatest expressions of the Great Work (biologically).

My understanding is that ones Great Work IS the expression of the True Will.
But life has more than one stage and the will I believe can manifest in more than one form through out our lives.

My great work when I was young was to learn, grow and mature, as I got older the main part of my life and work manifested but a few years back that work (in its then form) changed. Time to find a new expression. I did and although it might not be as 'exciting' and fulfilling as it was before I ceratinly can relax a lot more and enjoy the simple things in life (which my previous experiences have now given me a GREAT appreciation for). Also the time to reflect on how much motivation was ego ;)

keep moving, keep ducking and weaving, learn new things ..... otherwise atrophy sets in and will and great work are NOT stimulated by that. In fact, the expression of the True will and Great work should enliven and invigorate one ... even in old age.

But repoduction IS linked to the biologacl clock as is, eventually,everything else.

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
However, I am sure there are great benefits to what some call "right work", in my case I felt being an at home mom was right as I found it very rewarding and meaningful. To the point so, now that I am displaced, because my kids are grown up, I find nothing near as challenging or important, occupation wise. And I am not sure that occupation and will may ever line up for me again.
So I am seeing them as unrelated. Which may be some of my struggle. So I need clarification. Are we talking will here, or occupation? Or both?
Hi AW. I've got yet another book recommendation for you. :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Your-Life-Speak-Listening/dp/0787947350/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

And here's Jim Eshelman's 5 star review of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2V0PARPNG2O6/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Always Wondering

Thank-you for the encouragement Ravenest. It helps to think in terms of expression. I welcome change, but it always seems to happen all at once. :bugeyed:
This looks like a wonderful book, Aeon418, it is already in my shopping cart. I won't roll my eyes at you this time because it seems exactly what I want to read.
I will order tomorrow so if you feel compelled to help me qualify for free-super-saving-shipping speak now. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I will order tomorrow so if you feel compelled to help me qualify for free-super-saving-shipping speak now. :laugh:
I just noticed a new, and very affordable, edition of Crowley's marvelous version of the Tao Te Ching. ;)
It's so cheap it probably won't get you over the $25 line though. :laugh:

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Te-Ching-Lao-Tzu/dp/1604593962/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1243609506&sr=11-1
Chapter VII. The Concealment of the Light.

1. Heaven and Earth are mighty in continuance, because their work is delivered from the lust of result.

2. Thus also the sage, seeking not any goal, attaineth all things; he doth not interfere in the affairs of his body, and so that body acteth without friction. It is because he meddleth not with personal aims that these come to pass with simplicity.

Always Wondering

Wow, what a difference a translation makes. It will be fun to compare with my Penjuine Classic.

Aeon418 said:
It's so cheap it probably won't get you over the $25 line though. :laugh:

That's okay. I will throw a hard copy of 777 in there because last time I tried to read the .pdf I got a headache.

AW