9 of Swords: Cruelty

Anna

I have had a bit of a breakthrough with this card today. I realised that every time I draw it as a daily card, I've expected horrible things to be done to me.... but this isn't what happened. Any suffering I've experienced on a 9 of swords day has been down to my own fears, anxieties, lack of confidence, lack of trust, etc.

Dean

Anna said:
I have had a bit of a breakthrough with this card today. I realised that every time I draw it as a daily card, I've expected horrible things to be done to me.... but this isn't what happened.

This card meaning can also mean inflicting self pain and being hard on one's self, we can often become our own worst enemies when it comes to this and in some readings it can mean another persons cruelty against you.

Anna

Dean said:
in some readings it can mean another persons cruelty against you.

.....and also; your interpritation of another person's behaviour as cruel, when in fact it isn't.

Dean

Anna said:
.....and also; your interpritation of another person's behaviour as cruel, when in fact it isn't.

Oh yes and that can be right as this is often another aspect of this card of how we can worry to much about what other people think of us, its quite interesting having this card in a reading as it's gives an indication of someone's obsessive worrying about a difficult situation.

firemaiden

It could just as easily be our own cruelty to others. Sometimes I am quite appalled, horribly appalled, when I look at my own actions towards another, to realise they will have experienced me as being cruel.

The big joke on us all, is that one man's self-defense, is another man's cruel abuse. I can only think that I am justly defending my poor innocent self, or responding to abuses I perceive as being heaped on me, and yet, in my response to these same abuses, I myself become cruelty.