Crowley in popular culture

Fulgour

666 Zing! Pow!

Aeon418 said:
Reading Crowley requires a enquiring mind capable of looking
beyond the surface meaning.
This is exactly why, even in his own day,
Crowley was the epitome of POP Culture.

If I read a book, it needs to make sense.
If I have to fill in the meanings myself...
it's nothing but smoke and mirror pop op.

Aeon418

Fulgour said:
If I read a book, it needs to make sense.
If I have to fill in the meanings myself...
it's nothing but smoke and mirror pop op.
It's common for mystical and magical literature to be written with several layers of interpretation. Quite often the surface meaning bears little or no relation to the intended meaning of the text. Crowley's works are no exception. How many of the layers you can see is entirely dependent on you.

Tarot is similar, yes? Do you interpret the Tower as a literal event everytime it comes up in a reading? If so it would be safer to read outdoors just in case your house collapsed. :laugh:

AbstractConcept

fairywren said:
Crowley in contemporary society would just be like one more mediocre death-metal wannabee shouting "Look at me! I'm the Beast! I'm the Messiah!"

Where is all this 'darkness' people keep using as a stumbling block when referring ot Crowley? There's no more 'darkness' in Thelemic ideology than in any other aspect of life (you could argue, quite successfully, that there is actually more of a balance than in many other philosophies). To say that a 21st C Beast would be like a 'death-metal wannabe" screaming for attention misses the point entirely. By now conventions have already been rocked, there would be no need for Crowley to strive for such headline grabbing antics in modern times. Excuse the cliche, but it's all been done before.

Fulgour

Aeon418 said:
Do you interpret the Tower as a literal event everytime it comes up in a reading? If so it would be safer to read outdoors just in case your house collapsed. :laugh:
In the spirit of the thread Crowley in popular culture
perhaps it would be interesting to imagine this query
as coming from Aleister himself... what would I think,
if the Great Magician aimed such an inquiry my way?

In terms of~ "Crowley in popular culture" with myself
as the popularly cultured object of this darkly worded
but equally "severally layered" question, I would say~
Sir, am I being personally threatened or just teased?

And wouldn't it be the stuff of legend were some evil
to befall my house, thus living on in popular culture?

Fie on such stuff! There'd a been wrath aplenty paid,
and maybe even Led Zeppelin would've sung it's toll.

Papageno

Fulgour said:
Fie on such stuff! There'd a been wrath aplenty paid,
and maybe even Led Zeppelin would've sung it's toll.

King Crimson more likely

ravenest

(I've been away - and probably just as well!)

I think AC has had a v.big influence on modern culture, in the context of the field. Scion pretty much wrapped it up with a balanced and intelligent comment.

Yes, some of the musicians you have heard (and other artistic mediums) influenced by AC really do understand what he is on about. [You might have even heard the current head of the OTO playing support on some albums - he likes to jam with Thelemite musicians ... when he has time]

An artist will look below the surface and penetrate various layers, so an artist will find AC interesting. Like anyone with reasonible intellegence, they will understand that surface reality is so much a small part of the picture.

But if it's your bag to only look on the surface and only see deeper levels as reflections of your own psyche and fears .... well, Do what thou wilt I guess.

But here is the one thing I never get, why all this, 'AC is bad and wicked'? Do I really need to list all those horrible stories in the Bible to point out that our (ie. Levantine and later development into modern western culture) religious forefathers and indeed concepts of diety are much, much worse. An unbiased and educated reading of most of the Old Testament will reveal that 'God' is actually a jealous, angry, space vampire, whose favorite offering is the burning fat from around the kidneys. Yet every Sunday people worship some form or evolution of this God in pious and devote service ... go figure ??????????????

People will believe what they want regardless of the facts and this in itself is a rather fascintaing subject - check out Robert Anton Wilson's 'The New Inquisition' on the nature of belief.

Ross G Caldwell

Pop culture is broad and shallow. It is a glance, and a few words of description. Headlines, and sound bites. We see it in passing. It is fashion, the way to start a conversation, a vision or mirage. It is all of society, cast in the form of consumption and statistics.

As soon as you scratch the surface of pop culture, and ask the whys and hows, you have left pop culture and gone into scholarship. Those who make money because of pop culture are scholars of pop culture; they have studied it, and manipulate it. Those who study the origins of this or that feature of pop culture are scholars of this or that feature, and argue for how and why the origin of that feature is present.

For Crowley, he lived just before pop culture became an idea. His era was class-bound. Those influenced by him who lived in the pop culture era, our era, can be named and discussed, but like those who know them they are, essentially, under the surface of pop culture and are scholars of Aleister Crowley.

Thus, Aleister Crowley's influence in pop culture must always be indirect. It is through pop culture figures who are themselves deeper than headlines.

Finally, "Crowley" is like "Kabbalah" in pop culture, and refers back to the first paragraph here. It is a shallow and in specific circumstances a way to start talking about something in a shallow way.

If you are a follower of pop culture, of course.

Scion

ravenest said:
An unbiased and educated reading of most of the Old Testament will reveal that 'God' is actually a jealous, angry, space vampire, whose favorite offering is the burning fat from around the kidneys.
:D Ummm, I think I just peed my pantalones, ravenest. That was so beautifully, masterfully put. In a sentence, you just managed to sum up my entire University experience in theology classes. My professors used to say in a mock scolding tone, "Shawn, don't tease the monotheists." I just couldn't help myself. In fact I unconverted several born-again students who had never really questioned some of their basic beliefs. }) Those arguments were some of the proudest moments of my academic career because they changed all of us.
Ross G Caldwell said:
As soon as you scratch the surface of pop culture, and ask the whys and hows, you have left pop culture and gone into scholarship.
Thank you for saying this! The minute we do more than mention memes and repeat soundbites we've crossed a threshhold. All of this discussion has gone far beyond the initial question, which was (as far as I can tell) intended as only a casual query more than a probing question. I think Crowley just brings out the Beast in people. In all these threads discussing him, I wind up learning more about the individual participants than about Crowley. But no harm, no foul.
Ross G Caldwell said:
For Crowley, he lived just before pop culture became an idea. His era was class-bound. Those influenced by him who lived in the pop culture era, our era, can be named and discussed, but like those who know them they are, essentially, under the surface of pop culture and are scholars of Aleister Crowley.
Hear hear! Crowley was born in the 19th century and is very much a product of industrialized, classist England. Like Oscar Wilde, and other cage-rattlers most of the things he got busted for are now commonplace on network television. The reverberations of those early iconoclasts continue in people who continue to see ways to push the envelope. All fresh ideas are greeted with Camus' "howls of execration," but in a generation or so they become banal through familiarity. Picasso was shocking and disgusting and a bastard, but his point in history is distant enough that he's no longer avant and has become the new garde. Socrates is one of the great minds of Western philosophy, even if Plato hated that he was a lecherous, loudmouthed drunk. The bourge-iest middlebrow can love "She Walks in Beauty" without being horrified about Byron's possible incestuous relationship with Augusta.

In a way, Rosanne is saying that she wants Crowley to be distant enough in time and space to be safe for the punters. But that's just time which will come. It is a strange cultural characteristic that we want our heroes to meet our terms of heroism, retroactively. Picasso, Byron, Wilde, Socrates and Crowley couldn't have given a rat's ass about making nice and often went out of their way to prevent it. Even so, memory is kind to genius and History slowly whittles away the sharp edges and rough patches on the biggest cads.:angel:

This is the story of the world: Death at the hands of Youth. The Old King is forever being slain and replaced. "Pop" culture just speeds the process up and dumbs it down. As Ross says, the minute we step outside the stream and observe it with some degree of detachment we are pushing our hands into the rich loam of cultural allusion and opinionated research. Which is why I always find these conversations interesting (even when they're repetitive); they afford me a chance to poke at my own intellectual discomfort and see where I'm expecting everyone else to live down to my expectations rather than up to their own.

Scion

Abrac

Sex, Drugs, and Rock-n-Roll...

Debra mentioned sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll, and I think this is probably the main thing that the 60s counterculture saw in Crowley; however, a lot of the 60s revolutionaries became disillusioned and decided to look a little deeper.

So to answer SilentBreeze's question. I believe at first very few actually knew much more of Crowley's work beyond the superficial; however, as time goes by, and with thanks to all those who have looked beyond the surface, more and more people are learning about the finer points of Crowley's work.

Rosanne

Scion said:
In a way, Rosanne is saying that she wants Crowley to be distant enough in time and space to be safe for the punters. But that's just time which will come.
Scion
Yes, that is what I want and could not find the words. I want Tarot used, especially by those who float on the surface of life like oil. In the use of Tarot, you can go as deep or as shallow as you like, but it will awake something at least and you will change. To encourage you, I don't want to have to make you understand something now that will come naturally later. Crowley can come later- or not, but he is not the first image that should come to mind. ~Rosanne