About the OOTK and

Nholdamek

AbstractConcept said:
Its using a nice evocative style of language. Three yellow flames perhaps? Tripple flame of gold sounds much nicer and elusive.

True. need to get used to this style of language. Crowley was an excellent linguist.

AbstractConcept said:
I started using the divination method found in the BOT a few months ago (interestingly after I bought Regardie's The Golden Dawn, A.C seems to have modified it slightly to suit the new Aeon). It was immediately more accurate and successful (I inculded the invocation, or slight varient). I've noticed if I leave the invocation out and just approach the divination with a 'come what may' attitude i've a success rate of less than 50%. I think this was the intention of Crowley (and other's) saying that if you don't have it right the first time abandon it and try again when you're more focused and actually going to do it correctly.

That is very interesting. I've never actually done that invokation yet, but now that I'm actually starting to study Thelema and various rituals, I think I will start using it.

Quick question about the invokation. It has two names, but written out as letters, namely I A O
and H R U. Are these supposed to be spoken as letters, (i.e., "i ay oh" and "h are you" [my best attempt at a pronunciation key]), or being from Hebrew, is there a special pronunciation?

AbstractConcept said:
One thing I'd love to know is if anyone has any tips of how to leave your personal bias and 'wishful thinking' at the door when divining with tarot? I did a spread to the person I'm closest to and let my own past insecurities about myself being in a situation reflect my interpretation of the spread (there was a 5 Disks and 5 Wands in there at the beginning and a positive outcome, but silly me seemed to focus more on the downers). It caused her to doubt herself.

Is this what The Master Therion meant by "It is the most sensitive, difficult and perilous branch of Magick" [Book of Thoth, p 253]?

I can't offer too much in this regard, but I've not had too much trouble with it. The one time I did a reading for someone close, the Tarot were so clear as to what they meant that I couldn't have possibly twisted it around if I tried. On the contrary, I saw immediately what they were pointing to and was not surprised when the rest of the spread kept confirming that point.

Maybe just try to disassociate yourself and try to be like an objective observer.

Aeon418

Nholdamek said:
Quick question about the invokation. It has two names, but written out as letters, namely I A O
and H R U. Are these supposed to be spoken as letters, (i.e., "i ay oh" and "h are you" [my best attempt at a pronunciation key]), or being from Hebrew, is there a special pronunciation?
Pronunciation of magical names seems to vary from person to person, but this may guide you.

IAO is pronounced "EE - AH - OH"

I've always pronounced HRU as Heru - "Heh - Roo".

Nholdamek

Aeon418 said:
Pronunciation of magical names seems to vary from person to person, but this may guide you.

I've always pronounced HRU as Heru - "Heh - Roo".

Wonderful, that helps, thanks. :)

Aeon418

You might also find it helpful to stretch each syllable of a magical name so that one entire lung full of air is required to "vibrate" the name.

For example IAO would sound like EEEEEEEEEEE AAAAHHHHHH OHHHHHHH.

Teheuti

Aeon418 said:
I've always used the long-a vowel sound rather than the short a between two long-vowels. What's the general consensus on this?

Mary

Aeon418

Teheuti said:
I've always used the long-a vowel sound rather than the short a between two long-vowels. What's the general consensus on this?
EE - AH - OH is how I would pronouce IAO in ordinary speech. But if I were using the name in an invocation I would stretch each vowel as much as possible.

Teheuti

Aeon418 said:
EE - AH - OH is how I would pronouce IAO in ordinary speech. But if I were using the name in an invocation I would stretch each vowel as much as possible.
Sorry - I didn't mean the stretch but the sound difference between the a in Baby and Bat. The latter is an "ah".

ravenest

Wands and words

I believe that the important part of procuring all elemental tools is; 'by thine own ingenium', as long as one understands the whys and wherefores of these tools.

A piece of bamboo can make an excellent wand, its your intent and dedication (of you and wand) its consecration and the magical energy you put into it.

I prefer the long vibration effect, as long as each part of the word is vibrated equally. use the full breath, vibrate the word so it vibrates witin and without your body, project the vibration to .... (infinity?)

I like Israel regardies writings on vibration, some good hints.

Aeon418

Teheuti said:
Sorry - I didn't mean the stretch but the sound difference between the a in Baby and Bat. The latter is an "ah".
I guess this is a Tomato question. :laugh: To-MAY-to, or To-MAR-to? I say the latter, you probably say the former.

AbstractConcept

Totally off topic, but one would wonder how a deaf person with no audio reference would invoke. Would a baby in the sign of silence with a side lock of hair (or hawk headed deity) do the trick for HRU? Invoking via visualising... I'd like to hear if anyone has had any experience with people with hearing disabilities and magick.

And I agree, The Middle Pillar has excellent advice on the vibration of god names. One of the most valuble books I ever bought.