A very quick question for Crowley people

Dave's Angel

Hi

This is going to be one of those open-and-shut threads.... I have this dreadful habit of remembering what I read, but not where I read it (which is probably better than the reverse, but still a pain), and I hope someone can fill me in.

I remember reading a quote in a Crowley book - whether by him or about him I'm not sure - retelling a story. AC and Allan Bennett are in India or somewhere with some Indian sage. There is a snatch of conversation along these lines:

Indian sage: "A man must dedicate himself to study for many years before he is considered worthy to teach about the first verse of our scriptures."

Bennett: "Venerable Sir! In my religion a man must dedicate himself to study for many years before he is even considered worthy to teach about the first word of *our* scriptures."

Crowley: "Venerable Sir! In my religion, a man must dedicate himself to study for many years before he is considered worthy to teach about so much as the first LETTER of the first word of *our* scriptures!"

Now - WHERE IS THIS DAMN QUOTE???? Been trying to find it for ages - I know I've read it!!! - Driving me nuts!!

Thankyou in advance!

Aeon418

The quote you are looking for can be found in An Essay Upon Number in The Equinox vol.1, no.5. It's the same essay that goes by the title of Gematria in modern editions of 777 and other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley.

Happy hunting! :D

Dave's Angel

Aha!

Found it!!!!!

(Runs over the forum and gives Aeon a big smacking kiss.)

Thankyou for that.

Ross G Caldwell

Venerable Sir! In my religion, a man must dedicate himself to study for many years before he is considered worthy even to open his mouth and PRONOUNCE the first letter of the first word of the first syllable of our scriptures.

And then will the teachers set upon him and lash him until the skin drop off in sheets.

Only then shall he be worthy to TEACH upon the first letter of the first syllable of the first word of OUR scriptures.

Ross G Caldwell

Ross G Caldwell said:
Venerable Sir! In my religion, a man must dedicate himself to study for many years before he is considered worthy even to open his mouth and PRONOUNCE the first letter of the first word of the first syllable of our scriptures.

And then will the teachers set upon him and lash him until the skin drop off in sheets.

Only then shall he be worthy to TEACH upon the first letter of the first syllable of the first word of OUR scriptures.

To which the well-wandered Fool replied -

"Venerable Sir! In my religion, a man must dedicate himself to study for many years before his considered worthy even to open his mouth at all.

"As you can see, it's why I left that religion".

Ross G Caldwell

Dave's Angel said:
Ha ha! Nice! Hello again Ross!

While we're in this kind of mood - I suppose you've seen this before but it has me in hysterics every time....

LIBER CALL ME AL, a.k.a. THE APE OF THOTH....

http://www.circleofstarsoasis.com/PdfDocuments/LIBERCALLMEAL.pdf

Thanks I-know-it's-not-Dave-or-the-name-of-Dave's-Angel-either-but-I've-forgotten-your-real-name!

Yeah, that's been around for ages, but I'd forgotten about it entirely. It was written by a really enlightened person, I really wish I knew who.

It seems 80s-ish. I might even know the person...

Ross

ravenest

Ross G Caldwell said:
It seems 80s-ish. I might even know the person...

Ross

Some type of rebellious whiskey drinker wasn't it? :laugh: