Tarot in Movies

LillyCat

There's a French film called The Brotherhood of the Wolf in which there is a scene showing a beautiful gothic lady (who also happens to be the leading courtesan of a brothel) dealing playing cards in a Celtic Cross Spread. She does some sort of reading to determine whether she should get involved with one of the lead characters in the film. At first it seems strange that she would bother doing a whole spread just to determine whether to sleep with him or not but as the film goes on you find out there was a LOT more to it than that... I saw some Aces and Hearts but would be good to go back and see what the actual cards were.

On a slightly off topic because it appears in a book... I just happened to read a short story by Angela Carter the other night which told the rather sad tale of a female vampire whose only comfort in her solitude are her tarot cards. She spends all her time dealing the cards to try and divine a different future but the cards keep falling in the same pattern as if to indicate no change. In the end she dies at her table, holding her cards which were 'so worn the images were barely visible'. I liked this story because the character's story was really interwoven with the cards.

rogue

Did anybody bring up the Ninth Gate? Damn that movie was stupid.

Papageno

lampkin said:
Did anybody bring up the Ninth Gate? Damn that movie was stupid.

Read the book, far superior: El Club Dumas

Exorcist - The Beginning has a scene wherein Father Merrin walks in on the doctor who is reading Tarot cards..........now THAT was a stupid movie LOL

Glass Owl

There is a scene in the movie "Failure to Launch" where a girl hastily slides some stuff off of a table to care for an injured bird. I think that some Tarot cards were in the pile (and one card is left on the table?) but I would have rewatch the scene to be sure.

Smoker

This thread is so long I cant read all of it but what I know as in movies

- The people under the stairs

Or something, with a little guy 'the fool' had a sister who used tarot cards all the time and he had always The Fool card..
And ofcourse Celeste in Days of our Lives but I have a topic about that.

WolfyJames

I just saw a tarot card in the new tv show Moonlight, in the third episode when Beth checks the websites and searches informations about vampires. Among the images showed is the Strength card from the upcoming tarot deck Vampire Tarot by Robert Place. Nice catch! ;) And a great tv show so far, surprinsingly.

http://thealchemicalegg.com/PrintVamp.html

Silverlyn

Tarot in movies/TV

Hey all:

Was gonna mention how the ESP cards are used as Tarot in the movie: The Gift, but that's been mentioned here already:)

Another place:

The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew TV Series featured some cool Tarot episodes!:)

Silverlyn

celeste

Smoker said:
This thread is so long I cant read all of it but what I know as in movies

- The people under the stairs

Or something, with a little guy 'the fool' had a sister who used tarot cards all the time and he had always The Fool card..
And ofcourse Celeste in Days of our Lives but I have a topic about that.

There's a Celeste in a soap (don't watch that one) that reads tarot cards?
Imagine that! Maybe I'll have to start watching that one!

sweet_intuition

The movie Beautyshop (Queen Latifah, Alicia Silverstone), one of the characters (forgot the actress' name, but she also played Betty Applewhite in season 2 of Desperate Housewives). She was the inhouse tarot reader and used the Thoth deck. The two cards featured in the movie were, "The Devil", and "2 of Swords".

greenbeans

Céline Et Julie Vont En Bateau (Celine and Julie Go Boating)

Has anyone mentioned this French film from the 70s? I watched it for the 1st time the other night and LOVED it!I think it might be too whimsical for some, but I like that!

2 characters- Julie, a librarian who smokes and reads tarot (TdM) at the issue desk, also has a penchant for books about magic and a collection of weird dolls

Céline, a bohemian cabaret magician who weaves imaginative tall tales to anyone who will listen.

Also featured- cats, magic sweets, baby dinosaur eyes, a haunted house...and, yes, boats.