Drawing additional cards

souljourney

I do what tarotbear basically does.
I do like the idea of clarifying the Page and Knights...since I see Pages as messages at times also and I see Knights as action. Good idea...I'll give that a try.
SJ

gareth.

Further cards from another pack.

Occasionally I chose to use cards from another pack.For example I favour Morgan Greer as I connect with those images and I not only see their traditional interpretation but I look at their visual message and let my thoughts associate freely with that card.Sometimes this produces more information.Then I have turned to another pack Gareth Knight (no relation) which I feel is very powerfull (more Golden Dawn tradition and therefore more symbollic).These "fine tune" those cards they are placed upon.I think that there is no definite answer to all this except you must be left with a sense that the reading is right.There can be a lot of potential "interference" mostly from the readers own feelings and so it is important that you have a feeling of success in having connected with the cards and through them the person you are reading for.Just some thoughts!! Ps.Maybe it is Heretical to use different packs.I have never seen it done in front of the Querient and I only use it when reading for someone from a distance.G.

catti

additional possibilities

instead of drawing more cards i favor using what you have...if unclear i use these 2 methods to clarify things
1) if i have shuffled ; split the deck into piles and joined it to choose the cards then i take a look at the bottom card, the "hidden" or "shadow" card. I would then use that card to "clarify " or "modify" any card i dont quite get
ie: 3 cards
2 of cups/5 of pents/ page of cups
card at bottom of pack : 7 of swords
2) i add everything up to 22 or lesser and use that Arcana to modify confusing cards
ie: 3 cards
2 of cups/5 of pents/ page of cups
2+5=7
7 number of chariot so page then is modified by chariot

What ? It still doesnt make sense?? You just cant see it???
MHO is give it time , think on it , take a good look at what the cards are telling you, because chances are more cards are not necessary more help or more clarity
:0)

cormac

i've been studying this thread and another concerning clarifying cards ( http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=39167&highlight=clarify -- this is the other thread) and was wondering if anyone recommends a clarifying card for a single 'day card'? or is that overkill? :)

and catti, uummmm ... can you run that by me again lol :) -- i'd greatly appreciate it -- here are a couple specific quandries -- you cut your deck into piles of 3 and leave them like that, taking cards from each deck? what realm does each deck represent? is it, say as in a three card spread, each realm, as in physical, emotional, spiritual spread?

ok and then your adding scheme -- where does that come from or originate? (as in book, author, you made it up, etc. lol) -- and then perhaps the shadow cards on the bottom of the deck -- is this a common practice? is it something i should be taking into consideration in readings? and is the shadow card just treated as a clarifying card?

thanks for any and all info you have the patience and time to answer :D

HudsonGray

I don't reshuffle either, just take off the top. Usually with the thought of 'I need more info on THIS card' as I do it. I figure it's part of the whole reading, and the reading isn't done till you're done interpreting it, so the top cards of the deck are still in play, so to speak, and would have the clarifier cards be in the right order for drawing.

Rosanne

I use a clarifying card when a card in the spread does not seem to fit or I am blocked mentally from its meaning. I cut the deck and take that top card. Since joining the Forum, if it is a BIG stuck, I ask for help about the card. Before AT if the extra draw did not help I lay a small spread about that position and card that I was stuck on. It is helpful that querents seemed always to approve if I said I was not able to find meaning in a card, and would draw again. It has mostly happened when reading for myself. Sometimes the blockage extends to the clarifying card as well :( ~Rosanne

Fada

Jewel said:
.. when I seek additional clarification in a position usually what I do is turn over 2 additional cards by at the top of the card I am seeking clarification about. This has worked real well for me so far. I do not assign them new meanings I take the new cards and put them into the context of the original card drawn. Hope this helps you out.

Love & Light,

Exactly what I do, except that I use up to 3 additional cards.

love,

Fada

michmm

well, i normally used to turn over the next card from the pack, without shuffling, but off late, i have been shuffling first, and asking the cards to give me a clarification for the card ____ in ____ position...seems to work pretty well for me...
but, again, if you have to draw more than two cards for clarification, then you would probably need to do a new spread...or else it might become more confusing than it already was for you!@!@#!#!#!!!
love
mich

Brock Johnson

Sometimes I draw a clarification card but never more than 2 or else your clarifying becomes confusing again. If you have a big question regarding the reading, do a reading on that card. If I need clarification, I'll cut the deck where it feels right and take the top card.

Brock

aibhlin

I sometimes use my pendelum to try and clarify, if I use another card I reshuffle and cut the deck to draw the clarification card. I'm it's all very hazy I do a three-card spread on that specific card position.