Modern Spellcaster's Tarot aka Magical Spellcaster Tarot

DownUnderNZer

If no white borders may be interested. :)

Like the artwork.

JadePixie

Gaaaaah the more I see the more I love! The artwork from this deck really speaks to me <3 Looking forward to its release!

Scarlet Woodland

Yep, it is! I'm guilty! :D Cups are water and Pentacles earth as usual, but Swords are aligned with fire and Wands with air in this deck. This difference stems from differences in magickal traditions, where some witches associate the athame ritual tool with fire, while the wand is associated with air. I felt it went along better with the symbolism of the cards to do it in this alternate way even though it goes against the majority tradition. I think of wands as movement, change, flow, swiftness, which seem like airy qualities to me, while the swords cards often show destructive forces, which seems like a fiery quality to me. I tried to design the deck in a way that the symbolism would come through even for someone who uses the alternative, and more common, elemental associations.

Thanks :D I don't mind a switcheroo as long as it makes sense and that makes total sense to me. Looking forward to the book too now.

Fingers and toes crossed Llewellyn keep up their borderless trend for this one.

Disa

Has this deck actually been released yet?

I pre-ordered a while back. Today in my Amazon account it is saying not yet shipped but expected by Sept 17 (posting this on Sept 15). However when I click on the title it says still available for pre-order and the deck has not yet been released?

Does anyone have it yet?

Theta Choir

Has this deck actually been released yet?

I pre-ordered a while back. Today in my Amazon account it is saying not yet shipped but expected by Sept 17 (posting this on Sept 15). However when I click on the title it says still available for pre-order and the deck has not yet been released?

Does anyone have it yet?

I posted this in a different thread yesterday, but I'll copy and paste it here to answer your question. The author of the deck (Melanie Marquis) posted the following on her Facebook page:

"The release date for the Modern Spellcaster's Tarot has been pushed back to September 18th. Somehow I expected that, so while I'm mildly disappointed, this small confirmation of my psychic abilities is a comfort in these dark times. " (September 10 at 8:16pm)

Disa

I posted this in a different thread yesterday, but I'll copy and paste it here to answer your question. The author of the deck (Melanie Marquis) posted the following on her Facebook page:

Thank you. I didn't see it in another thread.

OaksWhispering

I hope there will be a study group for this deck. I feel really drawn to it but I am hesitating to place an order because I am frustrated with the lack of information in the guidebook. I saw the YouTube video explanation the creator did for why she switched wands to air and swords to fire, and the explanation made so much sense to me. However she said in that video that she would explain the seasons in the next video. That video was never uploaded (this was a month ago) so it is a bit frustrating.
I am sure with a study group more things could be figured out, but with the suit and season changes, and all the symbolism I wish in the first place that the guidebook would have been better, especially since the creator articulated the changes in a clear way in the video, so I know that her ability to communicate things isn't the issue and that the guidebook could easily have measured up.

Aside from that I also find the Page of Cups confusing with the three people in it.

So I am on the fence for now, but I am leaning more towards getting the deck and just doing a lot of research.

JeniReadsTarot

I hope there will be a study group for this deck. I feel really drawn to it but I am hesitating to place an order because I am frustrated with the lack of information in the guidebook. .

I just got my deck and I've never felt so connected IMMEDIATELY to the imagery. I haven't done a spread yet as I wanted to take some time to really look at each card.
I read the guidebook cover to cover and although there isn't a lot of individual information regarding the symbols on each card, there is a page and a half discussing some of the symbols... not much but there were a few I didn't know.. and wikipedia filled in the rest for me.

I would very much like to be part of a study group for this deck. You are correct in that there isn't a lot of specific details.. like WHY does the High Priestess have an infant? It's pulling up some odd "Virgin Mary" imagery for me... not sure how to reconcile that with a Pagan deck (at least in my head) but cards like the Hierophant (I spelled that wrong, didnt' I?) have some great details that don't explain the imagery, per se but do provide a little mental stimulation on getting your own stuff out of it.

athenafletcher

I came across this deck last night when I saw it on Instagram. I was immediately taken with the art, but what a DISAPPOINTMENT to hear about the awful cardstock. I can't justify buying it now, no matter how much I like the art and imagery.

OaksWhispering

I just got my deck and I've never felt so connected IMMEDIATELY to the imagery. I haven't done a spread yet as I wanted to take some time to really look at each card.
I read the guidebook cover to cover and although there isn't a lot of individual information regarding the symbols on each card, there is a page and a half discussing some of the symbols... not much but there were a few I didn't know.. and wikipedia filled in the rest for me.

I would very much like to be part of a study group for this deck. You are correct in that there isn't a lot of specific details.. like WHY does the High Priestess have an infant? It's pulling up some odd "Virgin Mary" imagery for me... not sure how to reconcile that with a Pagan deck (at least in my head) but cards like the Hierophant (I spelled that wrong, didnt' I?) have some great details that don't explain the imagery, per se but do provide a little mental stimulation on getting your own stuff out of it.

Got mine today. I too was immediately connected to the imagery. I was glad to see a page with some symbol explanations. That was actually much more than I was expecting based on some reviews.
Yes.. was wondering about the baby in the High Priestess. I didn't think of the Virgin Mary, but still found it a little odd, especially given the babe's facial expression. Does it have anything to do with the symbols in her book? Does she know something about the baby? Is it a Wiccaning?
Definitely something worth discussing in a study group.