Illustration of 10 Swords in Thoth

jenessa

I was literally looking at the 10 of Swords in the Thoth deck, and noticed that the way in which this card has been illustrated is such, that I can only discern the presence of 8 or 9 Swords.

So I can't help but wonder what gives? .. keeping in mind, that in general, non-scenic pips are illustrated so as to depict the number of objects to which the card relates. For eg.: 9 Wands would be illustrated to show 9 wands .. or the art work for the 2 of Swords would depict two swords, etc.

In any event, if you look at the illustration for 10 Swords in the thoth deck, you will note that the swords in the card have been depicted so that they appear to be intersecting with one another. Indeed, there are three swords that appear at the top of the card, and three swords that appear at the bottom, as well as two swords which appear in the form of a horizontal line in the centre of the card >> for a total of 8 Swords, tho if you look closely at the way the sword "handles" have been drawn on the lower (bottom) half of the card, on closer inspection you will detect a fourth sword handle, which brings the total to 9 Swords re: the manner in which the pips have been illustrated.

Leastways, that's all i'm able to detect. Hmmn, i've also noted that the artist has chosen to use many different shaped handles re: her illustration of the swords. Not to mention, that it's the handles that one see's when looking at the card, in the sense that the blades are not visible given that they appear to be intersecting with one another. Tho having said that, there appears to be one exception in the sense that the blade of the sword that runs thru what appears to be a heart IS visible .. or perhaps not? Or rather should I say, perhaps this is an oddly shaped handle, not a blade, in which case the count would total 10.

Whatever, IF there are three swords that intersect with one another and which are located on the bottom half of the centre of the card, can anyone tell me what the symbolism is meant to convey, keeping in mind that this line of three swords has been positioned so that it also runs thru a heart which is the only other object depicted on this card.

Zephyros

The swords are arranged in the form of a Tree of Life with eight outer swords and two near the bottom. The trick is to look at the hilts; there's one midway on the bottom sword and the heart is another. The sword that is being shattered is the one indicating Tiphareth which I would venture to guess means the balanced mind of the sixth Sephirah is being drawn in the many different directions of the others. The perfect plan is being polluted by menial concerns until it loses all cohesion.

Book of Thoth said:
The number Ten, Malkuth, as always, represents the culmination of the unmitigated energy of the idea. It shows reason run mad, ramshackle riot of soulless mechanism; it represents the logic of lunatics and (for the most part) of philosophers. It is reason divorced from reality.

The card is also ruled by the Sun in Gemini, but the mercurial airy quality of the Sign serves to disperse his rays; this card shows the disruption and disorder of harmonious and stable energy.

The hilts of the Swords occupy the positions of the Sephiroth, but the points One to Five and Seven to Nine touch and shatter the central Sword (six) which represents the Sun, the Heart, the child of Chokmah and Binah. The tenth Sword is also in splinters. It is the ruin of the Intellect, and even of all mental and moral qualities.

Attachments

• Thoth Tree of Life.jpg
    Thoth Tree of Life.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 309

Barleywine

The swords are arranged in the form of a Tree of Life with eight outer swords and two near the bottom. The trick is to look at the hilts; there's one midway on the bottom sword and the heart is another. The sword that is being shattered is the one indicating Tiphareth which I would venture to guess means the balanced mind of the sixth Sephirah is being drawn in the many different directions of the others. The perfect plan is being polluted by menial concerns until it loses all cohesion.

Yes, I puzzled over that years ago until I noticed the overlap and equated it to the Tree of Life. BTW, thanks for that graphic, I've saved it. I see that it has Uranus assigned to Ckokmah, which has always made the most sense to me. But that's OT, of course, just mentioning it in passing.

ravenest

I always saw 10, fairly obviously... but the hilts ?

I get - going from the top;

1. The 'chief sword' , solar, by the nature of the card and Libra, scales indicating the use of the sword and its association to the sword in Atu VIII .

2 and 3. Appear to be 'masonic' (not Masonic swords as such but have compass and square symbols).

4 and 5. R+C hilts, 'piercing' Tiphareth.

6. Heart signifying Tiphareth.

7 and 8 . Elemental hilts ?

9. ? (going out on a wild personal limb here ) ... Moon sword showing full Moon with an 'horizon line' indicating the 'Moon below' (the unconscious) surrounded by 3 ... baubles? ... indicative of the 3 prime psychological drives .

10. The 'base sword' Gemini by the nature of the card, the crescent Moon indicating cup or reception and the pentagram indicating the 'workings of Man'.

So, why the damage to the central sword and the title ? I think it needs to be seen in polarity with the 6S. Also the 7S indicates a similar process but internal ... perhaps the 10S is a reflection of it externally .... too many fingers in too many pies ?

Perhaps the AC springs forth from the ruins ( the heart in the 10 is still whole and appears to be radiating ) ?

... The heart is not the 'only other object on the card itself' ... what about those 'squooglie mandala magick square geometric thingos' all over the background ?

Barleywine

The heart is not the 'only other object on the card itself' ... what about those 'squooglie mandala magick square geometric thingos' all over the background ?

I never saw those as anything other than artifacts of Projective Synthetic Geometry, unless their sharpness is intended to convey something of the nervous mental energy of Swords since they appear similarly in quite a few of the cards of that suit. They definitely add to the vibe, but I never read much beyond "atmosphere" into them.

ravenest

What are " artifacts of Projective Synthetic Geometry" ?

Like doodles one would do if one was into Projective Synthetic Geometry ?

They are only on sword suits , I imagined some 'intelligent design' behind it. If so, suppose it could be considered 'abstract Projective Synthetic Geometry intelligent design ' ?

But something about them is reminiscent of magic squares , when you do a join the dots 1 - x on them with a line - no, I have never cracked it . Magick square mandala I call it , but never got a match.

I am not allowed to link to a pic so I will PM one to you.

Barleywine

What are " artifacts of Projective Synthetic Geometry" ?

Like doodles one would do if one was into Projective Synthetic Geometry ?

They are only on sword suits , I imagined some 'intelligent design' behind it. If so, suppose it could be considered 'abstract Projective Synthetic Geometry intelligent design ' ?

But something about them is reminiscent of magic squares , when you do a join the dots 1 - x on them with a line - no, I have never cracked it . Magick square mandala I call it , but never got a match.

I am not allowed to link to a pic so I will PM one to you.

Interesting thought. Did you see any correlation at all to any of the sigils for the spirits or intelligences derived from the magic squares? Since they look like artistic doodles to me, it seems to be mind-bogglingly difficult to try getting any "hits" on that front. And wouldn't they technically have to be all the same (or at least X2) to align with the specific correspondences for each card? I put it down to "artistic license," but with Crowley I should probably know better.

ravenest

One WOULD think they are there for a reason.

In this instance I will default to what an early magical teacher 'revealed to me'

[ "If they ask you a question and you dont know the answer - say its a mystery " ]

... It's a 'mystery' .

----------------------

" Frieda ! What on earth are these cranky looking doodles doing all over my sword cards ! ? "

" Ohhh , stop being so grumpy.. what , you dont understand this mystery ? " })

----------------------

There is a post on these doodles somewhere here , But I wouldn't know what to search under ? Maybe someone else remembers it ?

jenessa

Eight swords plainly show; the other two point upwards toward you, the reader
The swords are arranged in the form of a Tree of Life with eight outer swords and two near the bottom. The trick is to look at the hilts; there's one midway on the bottom sword and the heart is another.
Many thanks for pointing this out ... tho if truth be told, I am ever so over my head where this is concerned .. I will however read thru your replies & ponder this further, as time allows.