Styles of Lenormands you prefer

shadowdancer

Size? Not too fussed. Small ideal for handbag though and if/when I do the grand tableau.

Style? At the moment I like minimal and clear. I don't want my house to be amongst other stuff so you have to spend a second understanding what should be the main aspect or subject. Silhouettes do it for me :D

Cardstock? Now a convert to plastic. Shuffles like a dream, does not feel plastic when compared to most of my tarot collection and is as robust enough to take riffle shufflers or spilled tea. Seriously - I can do a blind test between this and my linen cardstock cards and it would not be easy to tell them apart by feel alone.

Watch this area EXPLODE in comparision to tarot decks. There will be decks being created in abundance over the next couple of years, where you will be spoiled for choice.

Asher

Watch this area EXPLODE in comparision to tarot decks. There will be decks being created in abundance over the next couple of years, where you will be spoiled for choice.

This is already happening. Just look online in various places, eBay, Facebook, etc and you will find a great number to pick from.

For me, I am less picky about style than imagery. I adore the old classic decks, and I also love more modern, photographic decks. I even made my own photographic deck to use beside my Piatnik, Dondorf and Blue Owl when I was learning. I like playing card insets as long they don't take up too much space on the card. Simple designations, such as 7D or 4H, I can take or leave.

I'm on the fence about themed decks. I have a few. They are attractive but I find I really don't use them all that often. Ditto for "cutesy" decks, a few I like, the rest, ugh... They do come in handy to show to new members of our Lenormand Study Group, along with more traditional decks, as they think about their 1st purchases.

But, I am very picky about the imagery on certain cards. I prefer the Man & Woman cards to be facing each other. I want at least 2 birds on the Birds card, whether they are owls or some other kind. I don't want a single path on the Crossroads, either (many new decks have re-named this one Path). A few new decks I have gotten (without seeing all the cards) have imagery that goes counter to my preferences, but since I know the cards, I can still use them (though I don't use them as often). I also like the imagery large enough to see without squinting, or having to pause, trying to recognize which card I'm looking at.

Whew!

Lee

Here's a deck I like. It's called the Magisches Lenormand. I'm not actually using it currently, and it does have card inserts, but it has a colorful and relaxed vibe that I like, and the images are very clear and direct. You can see some of the cards here.

greatdane

That IS quite lovely, Lee and those are inserts I could live with. It's the decks that seem to have that insert as almost as much of the focal point I find distracting. This deck is charming.

kalliope

Here's a deck I like. It's called the Magisches Lenormand. I'm not actually using it currently, and it does have card inserts, but it has a colorful and relaxed vibe that I like, and the images are very clear and direct. You can see some of the cards here.

I like that deck, too, and agree that the images very clear. It has a cute, fairytale storybook look to it that is charming, as greatdane noted. I almost posted a link to it the other day, but the one you have is much better because it shows more cards.

Lee

There once was a site that showed a wonderful slide show of all the cards, but unfortunately it seems to be gone.

LadyDeborah

I agree with Great Dane. I don't like decks of any kind that have photos of real people from "today." I think the cards lose their charm and it's almost as if I took a present day magazine and cut photos out myself. I prefer paintings or woodcut type images.

Chronata

I like Lenormands in the same type of styles I like my tarot. Mostly painted or drawn, with the occasional well done photo deck.

Since I read them intuitively more than structurally, I do enjoy ones that have extra symbolism.

But my favorites right now are simple and elegant...like the Day of the Dead, and the Antiquarian.

I am fond of the Magisches, and I was really getting into using the Noir (until I sold the last one!)

delizt

I'm just getting "into" the lenormands, but I find the simpler, or more historical ones are more to my liking. The Mertz or the French Cartomancy. Some of the newer, photographic ones don't gel with me....but the one done by Rootweaver ( the Vintage) is excellent, as she has "worked" the photos so they seem antiqued.

*EDIT....the "minis" trend however is NOT for me...too small to see or shuffle properly!!!

Le Fanu

Simple ones.

That can be the antique ones (Mertz, Dondorf) or like Rootweaver's Vintage one or the Antiquarian Lenormand.

I also love the Lenormand Revolution.

But generally I like the ones that have only the symbol (and playing card inset, though even that's not necessary for to be honest).

It's funny with Lenormands; some read effortlessly, others are beautiful but my head aches when I try to read with them. I feel this much more than I do with tarot.