What about those Skeptics?

2dogs

I have been atheistic, materialistic and sceptical in the past, particularly in reaction to annoyingly arrogant Christians. I even got a degree in Physics once, but I don't think I ever got anyone to stop believing through arguing with them. If you don't have any odd experiences or pay any attention to them I suppose you just stay sceptical. Nowadays I might entertain the possibility of some people communicating with a spiritual power, although I don't think it necessarily takes the Creator of the entire Universe to personally pick a card for me. ;)

RaySusilo

I don't think I ever got anyone to stop believing through arguing with them.

Well, what matters to me is not so much as skepticism or such, but the way they present themselves, how they create friction for me as I am reading for myself most of the time. I do have some atheist contacts, but it is disturbing to have them saying "Tarot is false, abandon them." every single time when I met them, either on real life or on FB. Sigh... I have no problem with their atheism, as I keep my cards to myself. What it is is that people like them need to learn some boundaries and restrict what others don't like to be done unto them.

gregory

If you keep your cards to yourself, how does the subject keep coming up ?

ana luisa

I don't waste my time and salt on skeptics. They have the right to disbelieve as I do to believe. BUT if they intervene, without having been invited and tell me it's all fake, I tell them "I do not remember having asked for your opinion". And leave .
After all, those types are poor souls desperately trying to reaffirm themselves and get some recognition.

RaySusilo

If you keep your cards to yourself, how does the subject keep coming up ?

Well, we know each other from the internet, I was saying that I am learning Tarot. Then they invited me to meet them personally. They said that they are interested, and that's how they preach me. Because I know them personally, they had been forcing themselves on me when I was online on FB.

Grizabella

I've been kind of secretive about my cards, too, even as old as I am. I've lived in fear of the "holy roller" Christian fundamentalist SWAT team headed up by my mother, who is almost 90. (I'm 68). But more recently I don't let that bother me. I just don't run around waving my cards and yelling about them. It's my own business and I'm a card-carrying adult who has a right to believe my own way. I'm respectful of people who believe the cards are evil but I know they aren't. We just believe differently. I don't try to change what they believe.

Karrma

Hmmm, I always think of my brain as skeptic, meaning I do not take things at face value, but I think a plus of a skeptic mind is openness to new ways of thinking. I guess what I am trying to say is that I hope my definition of skeptic is different than yours, because I am here on the forum, and trying to learn.

For me, few of my ideas are sacred, and my beliefs have developed over years, starting out with what I learned from others as a child, then had to change due to actual experience in the world. It helps being in a profession where 1/2 of my learning is outdated every 10 years, so I see firsthand how things can change, and change again.

There are some people who are closed minded, they will not even look at new ideas if it does not fit with their current and past ones. I am not sure if I would call them skeptical, but rigid. They are not skeptical of themselves.

Of those that are uncomfortable with skeptics that you know, are they ones that are flexible or rigid?

ana luisa

Hmmm, I always think of my brain as skeptic, meaning I do not take things at face value, but I think a plus of a skeptic mind is openness to new ways of thinking. I guess what I am trying to say is that I hope my definition of skeptic is different than yours, because I am here on the forum, and trying to learn.

For me, few of my ideas are sacred, and my beliefs have developed over years, starting out with what I learned from others as a child, then had to change due to actual experience in the world. It helps being in a profession where 1/2 of my learning is outdated every 10 years, so I see firsthand how things can change, and change again.

There are some people who are closed minded, they will not even look at new ideas if it does not fit with their current and past ones. I am not sure if I would call them skeptical, but rigid. They are not skeptical of themselves.

Of those that are uncomfortable with skeptics that you know, are they ones that are flexible or rigid?

Excellent points you brought here. I believe what bugs many are skeptics whose soul purpose is to disprove others' beliefs. Being doubtful and inquisitive is a sign of intelligence. But some skeptics are completely closed to new ideas and look for reinforcement to theirs through the failure of others'.

RaySusilo

Let's see... I think these people in the past had been ardent believers, either Christian or Muslim (the preaching ones)... As far as I know, they are always rejecting everything they label as "delusion", "superstition", "hoax" or "pseudoscience", usually Biblical or Quranic verses, Homeopathy, Tarot, Astrology, I Ching, but I don't know much beyond that. I don't usually dig those FB groups, and it was just out of curiousity that I ventured that group. Now I had blocked them away from my FB, and I had left that group. I just can't understand these people. :(

gregory

Well, we know each other from the internet, I was saying that I am learning Tarot. Then they invited me to meet them personally. They said that they are interested, and that's how they preach me. Because I know them personally, they had been forcing themselves on me when I was online on FB.
Says it all about FB. You have to be so careful on there, because you never know who you are dealing with. Do you want to know these people ? Unfriend them !