I can't read for myself or at least I think I can't

Morwenna

I agree it's difficult to read for oneself. But I have come to prefer analytical readings rather than predictive ones, both for myself and for others. I will do predictive ones for strangers, and I will do predictive ones for those close to me if they really want them, which I don't for myself anymore. I won't let anyone else do predictive ones for me either. I'm just getting cowardly in my old age.

Analytical readings are great fun, though, and sometimes they can whack you upside the head. It's much easier to read for yourself when it's about who and what you are, rather than what's coming down the pike.

I also agree that reading for fictional or historic characters is a great way to get practice. Also there are workbooks with reading exercises, asking you to analyze a situation or ask a specific question. And those exercises rarely if ever involve the future.

Buccas

Hello all again

What's an analytical reading Morwenna? And workbooks?

*feeling stupid*

Morwenna

An analytical reading is one that focuses on what's going on in your head right now, what your chronic issues are, how you help/hinder yourself, what you need, and so on. Sometimes readings like this are just what's needed when you feel stuck in some situation. There are quite a few spreads here that answer to that; there's a series of threads about spreads.

Some Tarot instruction books (Eileen Connolly, Rachel Pollack, et al) have exercises that are actually readings. That's what I meant by "workbook." I think some past ones actually called themselves workbooks; I may be misremembering.