3 OLD Decks given to me by a friend

PAMUYA

That's a very good point. I'm sure the giver would rather have them returned than passed on to some random stranger, even if it was me. *sad face*

No sad face :) I would love to take them and give those cards a good home too :heart:

GryffinSong

yeah, sorry, major disagreement here ~~

the ocean is made up of drops, yes; but three decks of cards are more than a drop. if we all took such liberties, the ocean would be full of a lot more "drops" than that.

there have already been several interested parties (somewhat sarcastic, but definitely serious!) in this thread, and if there's a possibility of these storied cards living on, appreciated and used, i think that's a far better destiny than the landfill, or the soil that feeds us, or the ocean that is already terribly polluted.

just my two cents. :)

Agree. Plus, if the woman had wanted them destroyed she'd have done it herself. These decks are a precious gift of love. That deserves respect.

jolie_amethyst

Agree. Plus, if the woman had wanted them destroyed she'd have done it herself. These decks are a precious gift of love. That deserves respect.

Absolutely agreed.

One thing I haven't seen addressed: were they gifted with the knowledge that they'd sit in a collection, to perhaps be admired but never again used, or was the gift given with the intent that while the giver was retiring, the decks were still meant to be useful working tools? If the latter, it's no wonder to me that they'd "feel" unhappy.

Anyone who's been to New Orleans, and spent time soaking up the astonishing energies so prevalent in the French Quarter can probably relate to these decks. My gut tells me they're both homesick and bored, after decades of usage in a vibrant environment. But maybe I'm projecting, since I'd give damn near anything to be down there right now myself! ;) Still, spend some time working with them, preferably outside in the sun, and I'd bet they stop seeming so alien.

If you truly don't want to ever use them, then as others have suggested, I'd ask the giver if I could return them (noting they'd be happier back with her) or if it was OK to gift them forward to others who would truly appreciate their unique flavor. If you've already tried several cleansing techniques to no avail, I doubt you can change things in that manner--which is why I suspect the real problem is that those decks want to be actively in use, not wrapped up & locked away.

Kooky

Similar situation

Just yesterday, one of my best friends gave me a really old Marseille deck to me (sorry i know i haven't gotten the name completely right) but i got a really weird feeling from it - uncomfortable as though there was a presence or an energy (perhaps from previous usage?). I asked her to take it back and said i couldn't use it. I don't know about you but i got really spooked and couldn't even have them in my home even though part of me loved the cards, i just could not shake off that feeling.... Up to you what you do but i think if it doesn't feel right, it just doesn't feel right.

tarawyn

I don't get it?

A close friend of mine gave me 2 tarot decks and a Lenormand-style deck because she was "retiring". She did readings in the New Orleans French Quarter and in her own shop for the past 35+ years and has finally decided to call it quits, stay home and grow tomatoes (since that's apparently what little old Southern ladies do ... her words)
She gave me her VERY used Thoth deck and Ryder Waite deck as well a very old Lenormand style deck. She has has all three decks for decades and they have been used for untold 1000's of readings both good and bad.
Now, I WONT sell them for anything, and I do not plan on ever actually using these decks,... but. The decks don't "feel right" and I've started getting a seriously bad vibe from them. I keep them wrapped in their silk cloths and away from my other decks. I've tried several de-consecration rituals, but I still get a weird feeling from them.
My friend just laughed it off, promised me she she meant me no harm, but explained that sometimes decks can absorb a lot of energy and that it takes awhile for this energy to finally disappate.
Any suggestions as to what I should do with these decks? I'm grateful that she trusted me with them, but enough is enough

I'm sorry, I don't understand, just because someone has retired why they would give away their tarot decks. Something feels off to me.....after 35 years you would think she would treasure these cards. Just because you're not actively engaged in tarot as a professional doesn't mean you abandon your cards. For me, my tarot cards are my spiritual friends and no wonder her cards are not happy with someone else, they've absorbed a lot of her energy through the years. I doubt if you will ever be happy with these cards and I wouldn't alter their energy either by doing a cleansing, because ultimately these cards became a part of this woman. I would give them back to her, I think they miss her.....

Luna-Ocean

A close friend of mine gave me 2 tarot decks and a Lenormand-style deck because she was "retiring".

Now, I WONT sell them for anything, and I do not plan on ever actually using these decks,... but. The decks don't "feel right" and I've started getting a seriously bad vibe from them.

I also think alot of these older printed decks can contain alot of energy but i still don't think you can get a bad vibe from them after all there just cardboard? i think you might just be turned off more for its visual art then anything else, when we see these decks we usually need to feel a connection in some way and if the images are not doing that then we just put it a side.

gregory

I'm sorry, I don't understand, just because someone has retired why they would give away their tarot decks.
That is for her to know and not for us to speculate. Maybe she wanted to be sure she would manage to stay retired - no temptations. But I don't see how anyone can call it "off".

bogiesan

That is for her to know and not for us to speculate. Maybe she wanted to be sure she would manage to stay retired - no temptations. But I don't see how anyone can call it "off".

I've acquired and given away two separate collections of tarot decks. I enjoyed giving them away as much as I enjoyed using them.

I have a Thoth that was used as a stage prop in rehearsals for Shakespeare's MACBETH. It is scratched, dogeared and stained with stage blood. It is my most prized deck but not my favorite. I am confident someday I will hand it someone I believe will have as much fun with it as I.

PAMUYA

I'm sorry, I don't understand, just because someone has retired why they would give away their tarot decks. Something feels off to me.....after 35 years you would think she would treasure these cards. Just because you're not actively engaged in tarot as a professional doesn't mean you abandon your cards. For me, my tarot cards are my spiritual friends and no wonder her cards are not happy with someone else, they've absorbed a lot of her energy through the years. I doubt if you will ever be happy with these cards and I wouldn't alter their energy either by doing a cleansing, because ultimately these cards became a part of this woman. I would give them back to her, I think they miss her.....

I am slowly retiring myself. Not taking on any more new clients. When my current clients are gone I am closing up shop(do not have a store front, read at their homes or else where) I could see in the future giving my working decks away( I am hoping my daughters will want them), I do have an old favorite deck which I would keep, which belonged to my grandmother. Perhaps the subject of this post did this, kept a favorite deck. I do not collect decks, personally I understand enjoying the beauty, but for me decks are for work, reading for others. I can understand someone getting job burn out, and totally walked away from it, not me yet, but there are times after a hard day with the cards(clients) ;)

Laura Borealis

I'd love to see what cheshrkat the OP thinks, by this point -- welcome to AT, by the way! :)

As you can see, this is a topic about which we all have strong opinions, but of course you should do what you think is best (except, please don't throw them in the river! :laugh:)

I'm not big on cleansing decks and so forth, myself, but I recognize the value of it for many people. You mentioned that you've done some de-consecration rituals. What about simple cleansing with sunlight and fresh air? Or moonlight, whichever feels best.

Or the cards may just need some time, as your friend suggested.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you enjoy the forum here- and again, welcome. :)