"Why does the Liber-T make me anxious?"

WolfyJames

Well, in my case the scans of the Liber T left me cold and with the bashing the deck went through when it was published, I hesitated a lot before getting it. But once I bought it and holded it in my hands, it was a different thing. Certain decks are better in person and the Liber T is one of them. I was mesmerized by the Liber T and still am. I find it quite beautiful.

Onyx

I can completely understand what you mean about the Liber T. It has been my primary personal reading deck for over a year. I have found it to be a great reading deck for me personally. Still there is a lot in the deck that I don't get and there is a lot in the deck that I would want to change to use it more frequently for the readings I do for others.

But the fact remains I too am a bit anxious or ambivalent about the deck but I know it will be part of my Tarot practice for a long time.

There are little things I would change. First I would love, LOVE, to see a rosy cross back design instead of the blueish colored Adjustment card. I would change back some of the little differences in the cards like the arrangment of the cups on the Ten of Cups. Also I would like to have the border reworkd to include the esoteric titles.

But in the end this is really my Thoth deck of choice and I am quite thankful to now have a couple of backups for this deck that always seems to keep me on edge and open to the message it has for me.

Onyx.

fyreflye

I really don't care for the art. For one thing, the images seem just a bit out of focus, and the cards are too small. And I can see that someone might find some of the imagery disturbing. But the Liber T does add something to the symbolism of the Crowley Thoth, so it's worth getting and studying if you're a fan of GD/Thelemic decks. It's just that I'd rather be reading Scion's Handy Guide to the Decans than reading with the Liber T ;)

Briar Rose

nisaba said:
Perhaps I'm making too much of this. I'm finding that by admitting that I find it a bit of an ugly duckling, my heart is actually starting to go out to it a bit more. After all, we all know the potential of ugly ducklings to grow into something completely unexpected.

Sheesh, twelve hours later, I can hardly remember what all the fuss was about. I'm a little more hopeful at the moment.

Yup Nisaba, you are right to be more hopeful. I have 2 collector's copy of the Thoth, sealed, from the 1980's. I would like gift you one. Sending PM.

nisaba

Onyx said:
I can completely understand what you mean about the Liber T. It has been my primary personal reading deck for over a year.

But the fact remains I too am a bit anxious or ambivalent about the deck but I know it will be part of my Tarot practice for a long time.

There are little things I would change. First I would love, LOVE, to see a rosy cross back design instead of the blueish colored Adjustment card. ...
I *love* the backs!

And thank you, I'm growing right back into enjoying this deck the way I always knew I wanted to, and should. The person I PMed was right - I just needed to talk it through.

nisaba

Briar Rose said:
Yup Nisaba, you are right to be more hopeful. I have 2 collector's copy of the Thoth, sealed, from the 1980's. I would like gift you one. Sending PM.
<warm smile> I've already seen and replied to the PM before I saw this.

I will say one thing: there are some incredibly big-hearted people in this community. Three people made a similar offer to me: you know who you are, and I'm grateful to each and every one of you. <sob>

But back to the Liber-T - perhaps it will be a brilliant deck for me when Big Brother is in the house and it has another deck in my collection that speaks the same language!

Briar Rose

That's okay. I'll just put it aside for someone else needing a Thoth someday. Also, if the other offers fall through, mine is available to you. Hugs.

t.town.troy

Onyx said:
There are little things I would change. First I would love, LOVE, to see a rosy cross back design instead of the blueish colored Adjustment card. I would change back some of the little differences in the cards like the arrangment of the cups on the Ten of Cups. Also I would like to have the border reworkd to include the esoteric titles.
Me too. The Ace of swords is 'reversed', some of the symbolic elements from the thoth are obscured, and yes I'd change the backs too. ;)

WolfyJames

Onyx said:
There are little things I would change. First I would love, LOVE, to see a rosy cross back design instead of the blueish colored Adjustment card. [...] Also I would like to have the border reworkd to include the esoteric titles.

But in the end this is really my Thoth deck of choice and I am quite thankful to now have a couple of backups for this deck that always seems to keep me on edge and open to the message it has for me.

I agree with you on these. I would have preferred the rose cross design as the back too, it would have suited the deck better. And better borders would have been great too. Oh, and a bigger version of the deck would be very welcome too, I find the deck too small. And when does the Liber T gets a mini version too? For the rest I find the deck perfect.

I also a second backup myself and I trimmed the one I use currently. The liber T is the Thoth deck I use, I prefer it to the Thoth itself.

Onyx

WolfyJames said:
I agree with you on these. I would have preferred the rose cross design as the back too, it would have suited the deck better. And better borders would have been great too. Oh, and a bigger version of the deck would be very welcome too, I find the deck too small. And when does the Liber T gets a mini version too? For the rest I find the deck perfect.

I also a second backup myself and I trimmed the one I use currently. The liber T is the Thoth deck I use, I prefer it to the Thoth itself.

Two Words. Grand Trumps! I don't see a real market for a mini of this deck but a Grand Trumps set of bigger Majors I would get a couple of copies. Also If a "Professional" set came out with plain black borders in a larger size I would also get a couple of those as well.

Onyx.