*ahem* anyone else have this deck...?

Dusk Till Dawn

Specifically and notably, the Savage. There is a whole thread here about that, called, IIRC, "What a horrible deck."

Well, it does good work for me :)

Hm. would so LOVE a back up of it..

And yes, I do have the Conolly too, never used it though.

Chronata

I used to have the Connolly and I read with it quite a lot. Particularly in places where tarot was still considered evil or misunderstood...places like churches, and other venues.

I would use it with two other decks...both angel oracles. It was nice to be able to have a tarot that was bright and happy and colorful, and didn't have any cards that would scare people or set off alarms.

At some point, however...I just didn't care anymore about whether my audience was freaked out by the tarot,(they were no longer my target audience anyway) and I ended up giving it away.

You could say I outgrew it.

But every once in a while I will see those images again, and appreciate how really pretty they are. The colors are just lovely, and the cards so soft and serene.

It really is a very sweet deck.

Padma

I used to have the Connolly and I read with it quite a lot. Particularly in places where tarot was still considered evil or misunderstood...places like churches, and other venues.

I would use it with two other decks...both angel oracles. It was nice to be able to have a tarot that was bright and happy and colorful, and didn't have any cards that would scare people or set off alarms.

At some point, however...I just didn't care anymore about whether my audience was freaked out by the tarot,(they were no longer my target audience anyway) and I ended up giving it away.

You could say I outgrew it.

But every once in a while I will see those images again, and appreciate how really pretty they are. The colors are just lovely, and the cards so soft and serene.

It really is a very sweet deck.

That was interesting, Chronata, thanks for your response :) Sounds like you have had an interesting reading career! Yes, it is a soft deck - and I suppose I am soft and sappy and that is why I like it ;)

More than anything, I just use that deck by force of habit, I think. Since I have joined AT last week, I have really had my eyes opened in many ways to so many other decks, people, and opinions, it has been a marvellous learning experience! I will have to go look at other decks this weekend, I think...time for an update :)

Which deck do you use? Just curious :)

VGimlet

I have the Connolly in my collection and I dutifully used it for its week in my rotation, but it wasn't for me.

I actually got an extra copy from our little bookstore at the library where I work (Our Friends of the Library let me know when anything tarot or oracle passes through) which I passed on to someone else. The person who eventually got my other copy was utterly thrilled. :D

I will keep it in my collection, because it is an excellent example of a deck that uses Christian symbolism. I might pull it out in certain situations.

Myrrha

I re-purchased this deck recently and was reminded of why I'd traded it away in the first place-- the extremely bright colors seem to shut my intuition down. The emotional sky-scapes are lovely, and the interpretations are interesting (a side-step from basic RWS meanings) but it doesn't work well as a reading deck for me.

I really wish US Games would release a re-colored version of this. It would be so easy to do with today's computer technology. The people don't have to be wearing red-purple robes with bright green designs... it could be toned down so the colors don't scream in your head when you try to read with it. Or, since the artwork has such heavy outlines they could put out a color-it-yourself version.

Padma

I re-purchased this deck recently and was reminded of why I'd traded it away in the first place-- the extremely bright colors seem to shut my intuition down. The emotional sky-scapes are lovely, and the interpretations are interesting (a side-step from basic RWS meanings) but it doesn't work well as a reading deck for me.

I really wish US Games would release a re-colored version of this. It would be so easy to do with today's computer technology. The people don't have to be wearing red-purple robes with bright green designs... it could be toned down so the colors don't scream in your head when you try to read with it. Or, since the artwork has such heavy outlines they could put out a color-it-yourself version.

funny comments! :) I gather bright colours bother you in a deck.

I think I need to get a different deck...

Chronata

Which deck do you use? Just curious :)

Mostly the Hanson Roberts...or one of my own decks (lately it's the Minute Tarot)

I admit, the Connolly is a great deck for a beginner, and a pretty decent deck to learn with!

It only really differs from the "standard" minor illustrations of the RWS with a few cards...

(the swords suit, I remember)

I think I went from loving this deck, to not loving it much at all, to having a big case of apathy...but now I sort of like it again. It might be nostalgia, or it might be that it really is a good solid classic.

Myrrha

I found the imagery differed from typical RWS in slight ways. For example the Nine of Wands where the wands are bound up in green ribbon to indicate that you have control over your problems or projects (at least that is how the deck creator explains it) and the Ten of Wands that shows a man planting acorns. I really enjoy this kind of "one step" difference from RWS. Eileen Connolley clearly put a lot of thought and experience into her interpretations and they give insight into the RWS.