'Recycled' art in Dame Darcy deck

FaintlyMacabre

There is a big difference between using/copying something in the public domain and copying the work of someone who is creating their own original art.

Diana

magicjack

OK, so now that I know that Dame Darcy is a rip-off, do I still want this deck? For the people out there that have it, do you enjoy reading with it? Do your sitters enjoy it? Are you bored with it after you have had it for awhile? Has the novelty wore off? Does it make you feel like a little girl when you read with it? (I don't like feeling like a little girl).

Mittkait

Well, I'm disappointed that the artwork was not original. It doesn't mean that I'm going to throw my deck into the trashcan.

However I will say, I've seen just this sort of copy work in even major comic books. I believe I once saw a photo still of the woman attacked by the shark in the opening scene of Jaws, inserted into the Road to Perdition comic. That was only one example. There were plenty more. So if that guy can get away with it plus get a movie out of it....I suppose it isn't a problem.

Debra

To me--drawing a version of a great image from "somewhere" to use in a project isn't the same as making a mermaid deck with cards you copied from someone else's mermaid deck.

VioletEye

To me--drawing a version of a great image from "somewhere" to use in a project isn't the same as making a mermaid deck with cards you copied from someone else's mermaid deck.

this is an excellent point ~ for instance, the image used for the queen of swords as mentioned a couple of pages back.

officialmothman

I had never actually looked at the LoS Mermaids Tarot before, but the similarities are definitely too great to ignore. Funnily enough, I had just ordered the Dame Darcy deck. Mermaids aren't typically my cup of tea but I quite liked the art style of the DD deck. This is pretty disappointing. I agree with the above points--many tarot decks are quite similar because of the symbology they're based around (not to mention the uncountable RWS clones) but it's entirely another issue to blatantly trace the artwork of another original deck and then modify it slightly to create your own and make a profit from it. I'm not sure what I will end up doing with this deck when it arrives later this week. It's an out of character deck purchase for myself anyways.

GlitterNova

I had never actually looked at the LoS Mermaids Tarot before, but the similarities are definitely too great to ignore. Funnily enough, I had just ordered the Dame Darcy deck. Mermaids aren't typically my cup of tea but I quite liked the art style of the DD deck. This is pretty disappointing. I agree with the above points--many tarot decks are quite similar because of the symbology they're based around (not to mention the uncountable RWS clones) but it's entirely another issue to blatantly trace the artwork of another original deck and then modify it slightly to create your own and make a profit from it. I'm not sure what I will end up doing with this deck when it arrives later this week. It's an out of character deck purchase for myself anyways.

Give the deck a fair shot. I don't know what kind of return policy she uses, but if you end up not wanting it you could always sell it or trade it here on the Trading forum.

tapestry

I couldn't agree more!

witchfawn

The more I think about it, the more I want it, which is terrible. I don't really want to reward art thieving though... and I mean, if this case isn't blatant thievery then it's on a very tricky line. I'd probably just resort to second-hand buying if I really had to have it. Saying that, I don't think people who own it and love it should feel bad about it - it's not your (general you) fault if the artist has a... wobbly grey area line. But I do see how something like this could spoil it, too, for some.

EDITT:

Well, it's kind of like the Lumina Tarot, isn't it? Where it was discovered recently that The Moon is actually an exact copy of a fashion photograph (http://data.whicdn.com/images/66903162/large.jpg) :eek:
I too wonder how they dare doing such shameless copying since everyone is a master of googling and spreading the word today... Then again, the tarot community isn't that big so maybe they think that even if "everyone" found out it wouldn't create a big fuzz??

YEA like... I dunno, I'm just always so surprised when stuff like this happens. I mean... I guess someone who wasn't apart of like, a community like this could be all, "hehehe they'll never know" but I'd always be paranoid... the internet has dug up some weird and terrible things, I just wouldn't trust it not to expose me, at all, lmao.

On the same hand though, like... why would you make tarot if you weren't apart of the community/super into it? And these days the "community" is so easily accessible, through youtube and instagram and all these sites. Google, even! It's just mystifying. I'd be kinda interested in hearing what Dame Darcy would have to say, if I'm honest.

EDIT part II:

Oh goddamn, just went and watched a review for the Lumina tarot to see the card in question. Like... why??? It's so beautiful and now it's like, welp, that makes for a morally interesting purchase now.

Citrin

OK, so now that I know that Dame Darcy is a rip-off, do I still want this deck? For the people out there that have it, do you enjoy reading with it? Do your sitters enjoy it? Are you bored with it after you have had it for awhile? Has the novelty wore off? Does it make you feel like a little girl when you read with it? (I don't like feeling like a little girl).

I actually love the deck! For me it’s a total summer deck though, so it has been resting for a couple of months (waiting for the cold, dark, Swedish winter to pass!), but I’m looking forward to using it again. I love that it feels so ”homemade” and personal. When using it I feel like a friend made it especially for me, and there’s only one copy that I own… :) It doesn't feel very girly in my opinion, but I'm the wrong person to ask because I love girly! ;)

Like I mentioned before, the news about some images being copied hasn’t really turned me off. I still have a connection with this deck, I still find it well done, beautiful, and easy to read with – and that’s all I want from a deck to be honest…