"Vegan" deck?

HighPriestess

I just looked through every card in the Raven's Prophecy Tarot and I think it might fit at least some of the criteria.

Only a few of the cards have human figures. The swords suit replaces swords with hands (the Three of Swords is a hand being stabbed with three swords).

There is a card with ravens fighting each other.

The court cards are not scenic but are simple images that represent the card (ex. the queen of pentacles is a flower crown).

A bunch of cards show feathers but there aren't any images of ravens having their feathers plucked or anything like that.

The two cards that I can see as being potentially problematic are the ten of wands and the king of wands. The ten of wands (the ten is the card in the middle) depicts a deer with his head bowed and lights on the end of his antlers. The guidebook mentions that he can shake them off at any time. The king of wands is a pair of flaming antlers, but they aren't presented like hunting trophies, they're just....antlers.

Onaorkal

bluedogrose - This is good news! The horse is quite probably the most depicted animal in tarot decks, but alas, mostly used as a mean of transportation! I will be happy to look it up when it's available! Do you have any images of drafts uploaded somewhere? :)

nisaba - The Kissa Tarot is very cute indeed! It's a bit sad that it seems quite hard to get it! I also have a soft spot for the Finnish language (that I even used to learn!)
And the tarot of Physics is the one I was talking about! I'm quite a nerd and found the simplicity of the cards mixed with the complex concepts of physics quite lovable. I was thinking about getting it but I read on here that the cards get worn out easily so I'm a bit hesitant! Thank you for your suggestions :)

Honeysun - You're right about the Pagan Tarot! I'm positively surprised! The art is not exactly my style but this thread might be useful for other people in the future so I'm happy you mentioned it :)

HighPriestess - Yes the Raven's Prophecy Tarot was mentioned in some earlier posts and it looked alright. I'm happy to know you checked all cards, so now we can be 100% sure! I think both cards with antlers look alright. Also the one with feathers.

Dee Ell

It looks like the Pagan Tarot avoids the typical pitfall of bridled horses because it's so modern they're using cars instead šŸ˜‚

And yes, bluedogrose - this is wonderful news as your art is so charming and I'd love to see some images when they're posted as well!!

bluedogrose

Riderless deck - I don't have anything as yet, as I reserved the images for my patrons, but I hope to have a video put together soon. I said lantern but it's the Hermit card that has the lantern. On the list is to update my website and sort out stuff for the Kickstarter, printing affordable decks is expensive initially. patreon.com/bluedogrose has some previews. More soon!

reall

Hey! I just remembered something!:))

actually your topic make me think it would be great to add extra cards to my Tarot deck in progress, (based on my oracle deck!:) and make it Vegan!:) animal cruelty free!^^ then I realized so far I don't have animal cruelty in my oracle or Tarot in progress!:)) YeY!^^ I assembled major arcana recently have a look here http://fav.me/d9ybcow
and minors are still in making and far from over but I'm not found of gore in general so I'll have this in mind!^^ tnx4 giving me idea!^^ and good luck with your search!^^ lolz :))

Onaorkal

bluedogrose - I looked at the previews and it looks as beautiful as your artwork from the Badgers Forest Tarot! Eventually I'll definitely get the Badgers, if I was in the US I'd already do it ugh!

reall - Yay for another cruelty free project! Your Chakra Tarot is indeed very vibrant and positive and I hope you'll be able to make it through all the minor arcana without trouble! Good luck to you too on your project :)

Aeric

Narrowed down your choices yet?

Onaorkal

I will definitely keep some in mind and will probably come back to this thread if I'm in doubt and don't have access to pictures of all the cards.

The one that got me the most is the Badgers Forest Tarot and as soon as I will have the money I will order it for sure.

Then the Magical Forest Tarot I find quite attractive, but I'm not sure if I would connect with it? The images look a little static to me, I appreciate more the art of it for now. A mix of cute and creepy, a bit Tim Burton meets Happy Tree Friends.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Pagan Tarot and still have it on my mind. I'm more of a middle-age/naturalistic/animals only kind of person and this deck has quite modern images, but I kinda like it anyway. We'll see! Everybody changes with time and that's also true about perception of art!

Also the Animal Divine has a special feel to it that I like. I should have a look at all the cards to make sure none is making me uncomfortable, but it is still on my list!

I'm really happy with how this thread turned out! It might be useful for other people in the future, it made people realize how we take animals for granted and it can be used as suggestions that can be given to vegan friends/relatives that are interested by tarot and are a bit sensitive like me. :)

alainaobrien

What an interesting thread! I'm vegan myself but never actually thought of tarot through that lense. It hasn't bothered me so far but I'll at least be more conscious of it now.

Celtictarot

A polish deck, the Zloty tarot has animals popping in and the knights are not riding on any animals. It has a card stock akin to hay house.